Chapter 20

The Name I Loved

Ary’s house was nice.

Onew knew that her parents had really good jobs and nice credentials, but for a house so small and cute on the outside, there sure was alot to make up for it on the inside.

 

“You have a very nice house Mrs. Phillips,” Onew complimented while smiling a shy, cheeky smile.

“Aww, ain’t you sweet!” Ary’s mother replied. She turned to Ary. “So this is the guy I’ve been hearing all about, huh?”

“Yes.” Ary nodded and smiled towards Onew. “That’s him, mom.”

Mrs. Phillips chuckled and walked towards the kitchen with the two following behind her.

“So have you and Ary been friends for long, Onew?” she asked while making her way to the stove.

 

“Yes ma’am, for a few months.” Onew responded repectfully. He sniffed the air and grinned. The scent of fried spices soothed his nostrils…

Chicken.

Ary’s mother put on oven mitts. “Really? Cute.” She took a pan filled with food from inside the oven and placed it on top of the stove. Taking off the oven mitts, she replied “Well, make yourself at home. You don’t have food allergies, do you?”

Onew shook his head. “No ma’am.”

“Good! There’s chicken right here if you’d like. Ary helped me cook it! But if anything tastes a little off it was probably her, not me!” The woman pinched Ary’s cheeks.

“Mommy!”

“Ahh girl keep quiet.” Mrs. Phillips laughed and grabbed her purse. “I’ll be back in a few, kids. I have to run a few errands.” She turned to Ary. “I’m trusting you both to behave while I’m gone, now.”

“I won’t abuse your trust, ma’am.” Onew answered with a smile and a slight bow.

Mrs. Phillips beamed. “You’re so polite! Now don’t hesitate to call me if you need anything!”

Ary nodded. “Okay mommy.”

And after a kiss goodbye, Ary’s mother left out of the front door.

Once her mother was gone, Onew started snickering.

“Mommy!?” he gasped between giggles, “you sound FOUR!”

“Hey!” Ary protested. “I can’t sake the habit…I’m trying…” Ary pouted.

“Ahh, but it’s really cute though.” Onew pinched her cheeks and she flinched.

“Agh! Stop that. Instead, come sit next to me.” Ary gestured to the couch in the living room and made her way to sit on it with Onew following behind her.

“What movie do you want to watch?” Ary asked while shuffling through a pile of DVDs on the coffee table.

Onew stared at her. “...your mother said there is chicken in the oven…”

“Oh yeah. You want some now? We can eat now.”

 

Minutes into their time together and Onew was already beginning to show Ary a side of him she never saw before. She knew this guy liked chicken but dang…she didn’t think he was in love with the stuff. He grabbed about 7 pieces from the stove and Ary brushed that off as just him being hungrier than she thought, but as soon as they got to the couch there were three bones already on his plate!

Ary watched him tear into his fourth piece of dead, defenseless chicken and giggled when he noticed her gaze. He turned to her.

“What?” He asked in a muffled tone. A piece of skin hung from the side of his mouth.

“It’s already dead, Onew. I don’t know what more you can do to it!” She laughed.

Onew flushed and wiped flakes from his lips. “It’s also readlly good. You’re a good cook.”

“Oh please. My mom did most of the work. I just handed stuff to her.”

“Still makes you a good cook.” Onew insisted. “You have experience now!”

Ary smirked. “Ahh, thanks Onew.  You always know what to say.” She turned to him and smiled. Onew, on the other hand, had his cheeks stuffed with more chicken meat, grease smeared on his lips, and was smacking away at the fried flavor. He faced her after a second or two, looking like a racoon caught digging in the trash.

“You say something?”

Ary giggled once more and rested her head on his shoulder, encouraging Onew to wrap an arm around her shoulder. He picked up a napkin from the coffee table infront of them and wiped his fingers off.

“You know, MinYong invited me to her birthday party today.”

“Oh she did? Why didn’t you go?”

Onew paused. “Wha…what?”

“Why didn’t you go, Onew?”

Onew was pretty shocked that Ary was asking him why he wasn’t hanging out with her supposed enemy but answered her as clmly as he could anyway. “Uh, I wanted to be with you instead.” He hugged her.

Ary snickered and loosened herself up from Onew’s grip. “I don’t care if you hang with her, you know. I trust you. You can see her from time to time if you really want to.”

“Oh. Okay.”

“Did you think I was going to be one of those overprotective, overbearing girlfriends?”

Onew flushed. “Oh! Not at all! It’s just….I’m pretty sure she likes me a lot now.”

“No , sherlock.” Ary laughed. “It’s been pretty obvious for a while now.”

Onew snickered. “Yeah, I guess it has, hasn’t it?”

 

The two were silent for a while until Ary picked up the remote and switched to the guide.

“What should we watch now?”

Onew pondered unique suggestions.

“Does your TV connect to the internet?”

“Yup! Whatchya got in mind?”

“Ever heard of kpop?”

“K-what?”

“Go to youtube,” he stated. Ary went to the screen menu and selected the youtube app. Onew then took the remote from her and searched “Bad Boy” by Bigbang.

“Bad boy?” Ary asked. “Will this be in English?”

“Only some of it. Just sit and watch it.”

 

The video started and the beat of the song already had Ary hooked. A guy wearing a dark green heavy jacket, jeans, and a shirt that says “Bad Boy” enters the frame. He’s doing a small dance fo the remainder of the song’s intro and then starts singing.

“Who’s that?”

“He’s called G-Dragon. He’s the leader of Bigbang.”

“I’m guessing Bigbang is the name of the group?”

“Yes!”

“Hmm.”

 

The two fo them sit and watch the rest of the video with Ary complementing and questioning the guys in the video. When the video is over, Onew turned to her.

“So how did you like it?”

“It was pretty cool. I really like the beat. If all kpop songs are like this, I could get with it!”

“If you think this is cool, just wait until you hear k-hip hop!”

Excitedly, Onew takes the remote and types in “Bonnie and Clyde” by Dean. The video loads, then begins.

When the melody started, Onew saw Ary lean back in surprise.

“Wow,” Ary said with her hand on her chest. “This already sounds like it’s going to be good.”

Onew smiled. “The bass drop is the best part.”

 

Onew was right. The song was heavy and easy to move to. Though Ary didn’t know the song, she bobbed her head and snapped her fingers as if she did.

 

“This is really good!” She exclaimed to Onew, who was smiling at her dancing.

“It is, isn’t it? I love Korean hip hop. It’s so much better than the hip hop here.”

Ary stopped dancing. What did he mean by that?

“Why do you say that?” Ary questioned cautiously. As someone who really likes and appreciates American hip hop, she was a little offended by that comment.

“I dunno, it just doesn’t talk about money and as much as Korean hip hop does. Our hip hop has meaning and positive messages. You hardly ever find that quality in American hip hop.”

 

“There are several artists who make really good hip hop music, Onew.” Ary defended. “Hip hop originated from the struggles of black people, so most of it is contoured to fit that lavish lifestyle that most black men wanted, but couldn’t have. And once it mainstream, well, it became popular.”

 

Onew sighed. “Yeah Korean hip hop talks of Korean struggles too, but they don’t swear a lot, talk about girls or call eachother niggas. I just think Koreans took hip hop and made it better, you know?”

Ary stopped dead in her thought. Onew didn’t just say what she thought he said….

“Onew…what did you just say?”

“What? Koreans?”

“No, the other word.”

“Hip hop?”

“No! Did you just say nigga?”

“Yeah…what’s wrong with it?”

 

“Onew, that’s a word exclusive to black people only. I don't even use it. You shouldn’t be using it.”

“Why not? It’s just a word…”

“It’s not ‘just a word’, it’s a word that carries massive amounts of history behind it. Too massive for non-black people to  be using!”

“What’s so wrong if I use it? Hip hop uses it all the time and no one complains about that…”

“There’s a huge difference! Black people reclaimed a word that used to oppress them, Onew. So therefore it is for our use only.”

“Do you use the word?”

“I just said I didn’t.”

“Can other black people use the word?”

“I don’t care what they do.”

“Can I use the word?”

“No.”

“See?” Onew said crossing his arms and flipping strands of hair out of his face. “That’s what I don’t understand. It’s a word only for black people that no longer means anything racist but Koreans can’t use it?” It’s not like we are saying ‘’ or anything.”

“Onew!” Ary yelled suddenly. “Did you just say what I think you did!? How could you be so disrespectful!?”

“Ary, please calm down.” Onew tried to reassure the girl by putting his hand on her shoulder but she violently pulled away.

“Don’t touch me! Just stop talking!”

 

That comment right there was enough to spark a little fire in Onew’s subconscious.

“So I can’t say that word either!? Even if I’m not being racist!? God, you are being so sensitive!”

“I’M not being sensitive, YOU are being inconsiderate! I already told you how I felt about the word and it’s use and yet you continue to question my beliefs AND repeat the word?”

“Inconsiderate? I’m just trying to repsectfully reason with you why you’re overreacting!”

“Onew, the ONLY thing you’re doing is getting on my nerves…”

Onew sat in silence for a moment. It was anger in confusion building up in him that he decided to be so silent. He couldn’’t think of anythign else to say that he wouldn’t immediately regret.

 

Without a word, Onew stood to his feet and collected his bag. “I think I should go.”

“I think you should too.”

Respectfully, Onew picked up his dish and tossed the empty chicken bones into the trash before heading towards the door. He snuck glances at Ary, who had her head leaned against her propped-up arm, staring blankly into space. He really didn’t want to leave her but knew they both needed some space before the argument turned into something worse.

Awkwardly, the door clicked open and Onew stepped into the night just as Mrs. Phillips pulled into the driveway.

“Hi baby!” She exclaimed while stepping out of the car. “On you’re way home?”

“Yes ma’am.” Onew answered with a fake smile.

“Do you want me to drive you sweetie? It’s pretty dark out.”

“No thank you, miss. I don’t live far.” Onew lied. Ary’s house was three freeway exits away. About a 25 minutes by car. Who knows how far by walking.

“Aw get in the car, boy! I can’t let you walk home in this darkness!”

Though Onew felt burdened, he was thankful. Maybe Ary would cool off by the time her mother got back and not tell her what happened between the two.

“Thank you Mrs. Phillips.”

 

On the way back to his house, all Onew did was hope that he had Ary’s relationship wouldn’t take that kind of turn again.

Because for the first time in his relationship with Ary, he wondered why he hadn’t considered MinYong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOAHHH I HAVENT UPDATED IN A WHILE HUHHH??? LOLOLLL i deeply apologize for that, tbh. Forgive me!!!

 

Anyways, another chapter up!! I still have other things to edit, but the story will be over pretty soon!! So stay tuned readers <3

p.s....anyone like Taemin??? Well GUESS WHAT! I uploaded a Taemin AMBW story!! Unlike this story, the Taemin story is consistent AND finished!! So I will be updating every Sunday.

I recommend you guys check it out, it's actually pretty good (and ty if you like that stuff too XD) ;)

here's the link!

Subscribe, Upvote, Comment!!!