Chapter 11

The Name I Loved

The pair strolled down the sidewalk past the tree to a nearby icecream shop, then past the river where Onew explained he would watch boats pass on carefree days with his friends during the 6th and 7th grades. The two leaned on the railing, eating their ice cream and talking about whatever came up in their banter. Occasionally, Onew reminded Ary of how beautiful he thought she was to him, and Ary playfully scolded him for being so cute.

“I’m only being honest!” Onew held his hands up in defense.

“Well your honesty is making me blush. Please stop it.”

“No…” he smiled mischeviously.

“Yes.”

“Nope.”

“Yeah.”

“No.” He smirked.

“Don’t use Korean with me!” She hit him.

He laughed. “Do you know what it means?”

“No…”

“Exactly!”

“What?”

“You do know what it means!”

“No, I was saying ‘no’as in I don’t know what it means.”

“But you do know.”

“Onew, I don’t!”she giggled.

“You just said it!”

“What!?”

Ary had given up arguing and started laughing. “Omigosh Onew! I’m done with you and your goofy-ness.” She faced him and poked his cheek, which was perked up from a smile.

“But you like me and my goofy self.” He wrapped an arm around her shoulder and this time, she let him. “We should start heading home now. I don’t want to keep you from your mom too long.”

Ary scoffed. “Right you are. Walk me back to the school?”

Onew nodded and led her back to the school. They passed people who seemed to have been giving them looks, but carrying on with their lives when they passed them by.

Upon reaching the school, Onew hugged Ary and told her that he promised they would have another day like this one.

“Let’s kiss on it,” he insisted.

Ary bit her lip, shy that he actually metnioned kissing instead of just waiting on her to do it herself. “Okay.” She raised her head and they pecked eachother’s lips. Minutes later, Onew was a couple feet away from her, going back to his house.

 

Ary began her walk to her house briskfully, but soon slowed up to enjoy the silence. She was sure that her mother wouldn’t be home due to the sky not being completely dark yet. She started humming to herself that song Onew had showed her a while back on his piano at home. Time was on her side for the moment.

 

“Hi.”

 

Ary whipped around at the unexpected voice and found a petite, skinny Asian girl standing behind her with her hands tucked deeply into her dark sweater She had long dark hair that fell like water falls down her shoulders that looked as if they stopped almost at her waist, and a pale white face with a small, pink smile plastered onto it. She had light dimples that looked familiar to Ary, making her feel that she might’ve seen her before once or twice.

Ary held her chest. “My God, you scared me.”

The girl giggled. “I’m sorry.” She cocked her head and took a few steps closer to Ary, as if she was trying to tame her.“I don’t know if you know me, but I go to school with you...”

Ary raised an eyebrow. Of course. She thought she’d seen her before. “Were you following me?”

The girl help up both hands in defense. “Oh, of course not! I just saw you with Onew earlier and…I was just wondering if…well…are you his girlfriend?”

“Who wants to know?”

“Well, it’s just that…” the girl took two more short steps towards Ary, “I saw you two get ice cream and hold hands at the pier. I was just wondering, is all. Onew and I are really good friends and I would be hurt if he kept a secret from me.” She gave her a small smile.

Ary debated the situation in her head. Should she spill the beans to this girl? She appeared to be genuinely curious and she didn’t show any signs of hate towards her.

“Well…yeah. We are.” Ary nodded in confirmation.

“Oh, That’s great.” The petite girl clasped her hands together in delight, though her face still looked neutral. “I’m so happy that Onew has finally found someone. Why was he hiding you? You’re so lovely…”

Ary laughed quietly and rubbed her arm. “Thanks.”

“Oh no…thank you.”

That last sentence sounded a tad creepy, but Ary thought it was just the nightfall getting to her and shook it off.

“How long have you guys been dating?”

“2 months so far.”

“Ahhh, I see.” She flipped a few strands of hair away from her face. “I could help you get to know Onew if you want. I’ve known him for a while, so I know all of his favorite things, as well as what make him cry, laugh, angry, jealous. I don’t mind helping you.”

Ary gave her a fake smile. “Uhm, thanks, but no thanks. I think me getting to know Onew on my own is what being his girlfriend is all about. I’d rather not cheat at it. Thanks for your offer though.” She started turning to go home until the girl called to her.

“Wait! Do you really think you want to do that? There are some things about him that I’m sure you don’t know. It’d be better to know them now, trust me.”

This stopped Ary in her tracks. What was she talking about!?

“What do you mean?”

The girl shrugged. “I’ll tell you at school Monday. I’ll catch you during lunch. Is that fine?”

Ary didn’t really know if that was okay with her, but agreed anyway. “Uhhh…sure. Thanks, uhm…”

“MinYong.”

“Ah. MinYong. Thanks.” MinYong slightly bowed to her and stood there as Ary walked away.

While Ary was walking home in the dark, she kept thinking of MinYong’s face when she turned away, which made her rethink what she had gotten herself into.

 

She swore she saw her smirk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another update and BOOM! There you guys go :D

Subscribe, Upvote, Comment!