Chapter 21

The Name I Loved

Ary

Going back to school that week was hard for Ary. That argument she had with Onew stuck with her and it made things extremely awkward for the two of them. She thanked God she only had one class with the guy and thanked him even harder when the teacher moved the desks around for group work and she was far away from him. Though she managed to get through the day without making direct contact, she still was upset that he didn’t sit with her at lunch or stop by her locker between classes to talk to her or walk her to class. It felt as if they had never even met in the first place.

 

Thursday eventually came along and Ary was getting her books for her last class when all of a sudden she felt a hand on her back.

“Hey Aleah,” she answered in a monotone voice.

 

“That’s not my name.”

 

Ary stopped what she was doing and turned around to be faced by no other than Onew’s gentle smile and a folder underneath his arm. “Got a minute? Can we talk?”

 

Ary looked towards the clock, then back at him. She wanted nothing more than to exchange words with the boy she missed standing infront of her, however fear of another argument spiriling out of control was overwhelming.

“Class starts soon, and I don’t wanna be late…”

Onew looked at the clock too, then back at her.

“Let me have just three minutes. That’s all. I really have to get this off my chest.” He put his hand to his heart after saying that and Ary watched. His fingers were a little red.

“Okay.”

Onew’s smile began to fade as he looked into both of her eyes. “I’m sorry Ary. Really, I am. I’ve been thinking about everything that I said to you and how I completely disregarded your feelings. I was a true . I really like you and I want this relationship to work out, so I did research on my own and learned a lot. I will never use that word again. Ever.” He shifted his posture and looked at the ground. “And I’m sorry for saying all those things about hip hop. I didn’t mean to make it sound like korean hip hop was superior or anything, I just…it all came out wrong. No matter how I feel about it, I should respect that it’s a culture that will always belong to you and you guys deserve the credit for it. I’m just really sorry. For everything.”

Ary didn’t exactly know what to say. Yes, Onew had her pissed that day...even still a little now. But she had never felt more relaxed after his apology. Hearing the words “I’m sorry” never felt so good. It was like a weight was lifted off her shoulders.

 

Onew stared at Ary waiting for a reply. “Are you still mad at me?”

Ary smiled and shook her head. “No, Onew. Thanks for the apology. And for your research. I’m glad you’ve had a change of heart.” She kissed him.

“Good. Now that that’s out of the way,” Onew took the folder from underneath his arm and opened it up, “I have something to show you.” He handed her two sheets of paper.

“What’s this?” Ary asked while scanning them.

“Well…I know we both are pretty set on what universities we want to go to…however…we should consider this one as well. I got an email from them promoting their university. It’s not bad. It has a pretty nice campus, diverse student population, not too big and not too small, over 200 different majors—yours and mine included—and it’s in state. What do you think? We don’t have to go there…this is just like…a backup. Ya know?” he did a cheeky smile before shoving his hands into his pockets.

Ary looked at the statistics. Thantom University? Student-teacher ratio was just how she liked, they indeed did have her major, the tuition was a little high though…the average gpa was a 3.75...the state ranking of the school is number 3! Wow…that’s higher than the university she was planning on attending…

“Why such a prestegious school, Onew?”

“Well, you’re smart and I thought this would be your style. Plus, my mother would never let me live it down if I didn’t apply to at least one of the top 5 schools…”

Ary chuckled. She really liked the look of it so far. The campus looked better than the one she originally set her eyes on.

“I’ll definetly look into applying. Do they require commonapp?”

“Yes,” Onew said. “I’m sure you have it done already though. I do too, so we’re set. Just add them to the list.”

Ary smiled. “Thanks Onew.”

The two leaned in for another kiss but was interrupted by the bell. Onew handed Ary his folder. “Here, take this and put the information in it. Let me know when you applied. I’ll see you later.” Just before Onew could turn away, Ary grabbed his arm.

“Wanna spend some time after school today? Maybe get some ice cream? You know…just to make up?”

Ary batted her eyelashes and smiled innocently at Onew, knowing it would make him flush just as it does everytime. “Yeah, I’d like that.” Onew answered without hesitation and Ary cheered. “Good! I’ll meet you at my locker after classes then.”

And with that, they parted ways.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

AGGGHH!! Hi everyone!! Long time no see!! hahaha

So my first year of college was hectic. Which is why I never updated. But I'm out now and ready to continue updating!!!!! I really hope you all haven't lost faith in the story!!! I told u guys I was going to finish it and I AM!!!!!

 

Love you guys for sticking by me <3