Chapter 12

The Name I Loved

Monday came pretty fast, but not for Ary. Sunday had been full of long, hard thinking about that MinYong girl whom she had talked to a day before. She remebered her face clearly but whenever she looked around the halls, she couldn’t find her anywhere. With all her might, she depended on MinYong’s promise to meet her by lunchtime.

 

Ary spent most of the time before lunch with Aleah, who endlessly questioned how her Saturday went.

“So, you never told me who died.”

Ary sighed while thinking of a quick lie. “It was a cousin that I barely knew.”

“Well, you sound like you care a lot. I’m sorry for your loss.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

The 3rd hour bell sounded, signaling the end of 4th hour class and 5th hour to begin after 5 minutes.

Aleah followed Ary to her locker where she went to exchange her books. “See you at lunch,” Aleah told her, and part ways shortly after.

“See ya,” Ary said quietly while making her way to her locker.

 

 

After stoping at her locker, Ary made her way to the lunch room. She scanned the area, looking for the familiar girl with the long black hair and pale white skin to be standing around anywhere waiting for her just as she said.

Within minutes of looking for MinYong, Ary heard her name being called by an unfamiliar voice.

She turned around and met MinYong, who was with two other Asian girls, both almost as pretty as she.

 

“Hi Ary!” MinYong yelled happily. She gestured for her to come over and Ary did.

MinYong’s two friends stared at the girl before both looking at eachother, their expressions extrememly unreadable.

 

MinYong covered . “Oh! I’m sorry. These are my two friends. Meet Kim RaeIn and Gong YuJin.” She nudged the girl with short black hair and a red streak and she waved. “Hi.”

Her voice was unexpectadly deep.

 

The other girl slighly bowed and said “hello” with a noticable accent.

 

“Hi,” Ary waved back.

 

MinYong smiled her usual smile before telling her friends something she couldn’t understand, then watching them nod and walk away. MinYong turned her attention back to Ary.

 

“So, what do you want to know?”

 

Ary thought for a moment before crossing her arms. “How do you know Onew?”

 

MinYong smiled. “We went to school together. He was always so calm and fun to be around. He was smart, too. Really smart.”

Ary nodded. “Hm. He seems smart. He’s shy, too. Was he always shy?”

MinYong nodded. “Not until 9th grade. Culture changes him, as you can see.”

Ary fured her eye brows. “What?”

“Culture changes him.”

“Wha do you mean by that?”

MinYong shrugged. “He’s sort of xenophobic, I guess?”

“That can’t be true. He’s going out with me.”

“Because you’re waegookin.”

“I’m what?”

MinYong smiled. “It’s like the word ‘foreign’ in our language.”

“So what does me being ‘foreign’ have anything to do with our relationship?”

MinYong sighed and moved stray hairs out of her face flawlessly, all while still maintaining that pure smile on her face. “You see, Onew, myself, and many other Koreans at this school all came from a strict middle school. The school is mainly Korean, so coming here was a big shock. Sometimes, Korean guys tend to get bored of us girls. They don’t like the whole ‘long black hair and pale skin’ concept most of us girls go for. So, they’ll start looking at girls outside of their ethnic group.”

Ary listened to MinYong and bit her lip. “So…what your saying is..?”

“Onew must be one of those guys. That’s why he chose you.”

“So you’re saying he only went with me because I’m different?”

MinYong nodded. “Yes. And because of that, he won’t commit to you. Most Koreans are told to keep the bloodline pure. So marriage won’t be an option. You are his toy until he can find someone his parents will accept.” She placed a hand on her shoulder. “If I were you, I’d break up with him.”

 

Ary stood there in shock. What the hell was MinYong telling her!? Onew couldn’t be doing that to her…he couldn’t be…but then again, MinYong has known Onew for years. She is Korean just like him, and knows what her culture likes and dislikes. Could she possibly be giving her a legit heads up?

 

MinYong could see the saddness appearing onto Ary’s face. “If it helps any,” she said with a faint understanding smile, “I could tell him ‘it’s over’ for you.”

 

“No….You won’t.” Ary forcefully snatched her shoulder away from MinYong’s grip. “Because it’s not over. I don’t believe what you’re telling me is true. Onew isn’t anything like the Korean guys you described. He’s different, and he likes me a lot.” She turned her back towards MinYong and without another word, walked away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who doesn't know: 

Waegookin: Korean for "foreigner"

 

Another chapter up :DDD Happy first day of Summer y'all. Hope you guys are all doing well and Hello to all of the new subbies. Be sure to comment if you like the story and upvote ;D share with ur friends too, i know there are more MVP's out there!

And BTW, Shinee's Odd Eye album!? FIREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Every song, I looooove it!!!!!! Espeacially odd eye!

What did u guys think of it?

 

Subscribe, Upvote, Comment!!