Chapter 4

The Name I Loved

Ary POV

Ary sat on her laptop going through her playlist of songs, trying to find the right one that fit the mood she was in tonight: calm. It was rare that the first day of school had ever caused her to become calm, cool and collected, but this time was different. Maybe because it was her last year and she already had her future planned out for her. She already mailed the colleges that she wanted to go to her registration mail; she had plenty of scholarship money from her past academic awards of 3.8’s and 4.0’s, plus the money that her parents were saving for her since she was born. Yes, she came from a family that knew what they wanted for their child and knew how to get it. Her mother, a former lawyer, came from a nice family with 4 other siblings, and had straight 4.0’s and 4.2’s throughout high school. She graduated from college at the top of her class and got her bachelor’s degree.

            Her father, a trucker, didn’t go to college, however has spent his life after high school learning how to become a repair man and fix people’s cars, water system, etc. He was from the island of Barbados, where he met her mom going on vacation. They eventually married and created her, the only child they have and the only one they love. She remembered how they worked their butts off for her to be able to have all these great opportunities, how they paid for her educational field trips, and how they made sure she understood everything that she was learning in school. She appreciated them for what they did and wanted to do well in college to repay them.

But, stress was weighing down on her. She wasn’t getting straight A’s like her mom did, and she didn’t retain information as well as her dad does. She felt like the odd one out—she didn’t feel like she was doing her best, and it stressed her out. For her, she always had to be number one; she had to be on top. But, it was too hard to keep up with.

 

Ary’s phone vibrated with a text from her close friend, Aleah:

 

From: Aleah J.

10:40 pm

--------------------------

You still awake? :D

 

Ary snickered to herself and called the number, not feeling like texting. She put her on speaker. Her friend picked up in a matter of seconds.

“You really couldn’t just text me back?” she laughed.

“Nope. Didn’t feel like it.”

“Alrighty then. How did you like the first day?”

“Great! I’m happy I have most of my classes with you. This year will be the best.”

“I can agree with you on that, but you’re gonna have to help me through Calculus.”

Ary furred her eyebrows. “But Aleah, I thought you were good at math?”

“I am—I just don’t like that damn teacher! He already tried to make a fool out of me on the first day, asking me why I didn’t have a calculator and telling me that I was ‘unprepared’. His logic is bullsh—”

“SHHH!” Ary stopped Aleah. “I have you on speaker and if you curse out loud, my parents will have my behind.”

“Sorry.”

“You’re good.” Ary checked the time. “It’s late, get some rest. We have a big day tomorrow.”

“What’s so big about it?”

“Another day of being seniors.”

“Whatever.” Aleah giggled. “Night.”

“Goodnight.”

Ary hung up and placed her phone on her nightstand. After turning off her laptop, she placed it underneath her bed and turned the lights off. She rethought everything that happened today, trying to get acquainted with where she will be and whom she’ll be around for the next 8 months. She then thought of the Asian guy she met in her ELA class. He was pretty nice, she thought. She remembered the wink he gave her, and the look in his eyes when he was pretending to give the teacher her life goals.

 

Before she could get in depth on her thoughts, her eyelids grew heavy and she fell into a peaceful sleep.

 

 

The next day, Ary had her books in hand and her bag wrapped across her body, prepared for whatever the second day of school would throw at her. She scanned the empty halls with boredom, a little irritated that she was always dropped off so early and had nothing to entertain her in the morning. She sat in her favorite spot; the large windowsill where the sunrise could be well seen around the beginning of class and orange-ish red sunrays colored the plain white walls.

 

Within minutes of Ary sitting on the window sill, the school began to fill with students, some she knew passing her and saying hello, and others just giving her a side glance before continuing with their lives. Ary was consumed in her homework until a familiar voice startled her.

“You’re always doing your homework in the morning.’’

Ary looked up and found her friend Aleah standing in front of her, large diamond shaped earrings hanging from her ears, cat-like eye liner lining her eyes, a classy grey sweater clutching her curves with a belt to support it, and long elegant black pants bottomed off with heels.

 

Ary smirked at her friend. “And you’re always dressed like you’re on your way to church.” She said, envious of her friend’s school style compared to her boring cargo pants and dark green shirt.

Aleah laughed. “Thanks. C’mon it’s almost 8. Class is gonna start soon.”

 

Ary hopped from her sill of comfort and began walking down the hall to she and Aleah’s first class—Calculus.

 

While walking, the different languages of kids could be heard; Spanish, Italian, Arabic, Chinese…everything. When Ary and Aleah first came to this school, they used to make fun of the kids who had their own language. Now, it just interests them and they want a language of their own.

“I think I know what that guy said,” Aleah said, pointing to the Mexican kid whose locker wasn’t far from her own. “He asked someone if they had the homework.”

“You’re getting pretty good at this.”

“At what?” Aleah asked, “Translating? I guess so. But I’ve taken Spanish since 3rd grade. It isn’t that hard to pick up.”

Ary shrugged.
“I guess. I wish we had a language though.”

“We as in Americans? We do. English.”

“No, I mean “we” as a black community.”

“We do. It’s called Ebonics.”

 

The two girls laughed and entered their Calculus class making a beeline for their seats, Ary’s seat right next to her best friend’s. Ary made it to her seat with little difficulty, easily maneuvering around the book bags and purses that littered the aisle way. Aleah wasn’t so fortunate and her right heal hooked to the straps of one kid’s bag. She tripped, but caught herself before anyone could notice.

“Oh! I’m sorry,” a male voice had spoken to her, and the bag was moved immediately.

Aleah took a look at the boy and her heart skipped a beat. She sat down in her seat with a smirk.

Ary noticed the creepy smile that conquered her friend’s face and she wrinkled her nose in confusion. “What’s wrong with you?”

“…did you see that boy?” she whispered and smirked more.

“Who that one?” Ary discreetly pointed at the auburn-haired boy.

Aleah nodded.

Ary leaned in closer to try to get a good look at his face. She cringed. “Ewww. He’s not pleasant looking at all.”

Aleah scoffed. “Says you.” She faced the front of the class and got out her binder, Ary soon following in her actions so that she could be prepared for her 1st hour class.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WAAAAAHHH! Now you have met the girls. it only gets better from here, lol.

Subscirbe, Upvote, Comment!