Chapter 5

The Name I Loved

After 3rd hour, Ary comfortably made her way to ELA. When she walked in, she noticed the boy she had talked to yesterday and his friend, who was sitting at her desk with his arms folded and grinning the heck out of his face. She took her time with her steps expecting him to get up soon, but when he didn’t, she abandoned the idea.

“Oh, I think that’s her seat.” The light brown-headed boy—Onew, she thought—told the guy in her seat.

The guy looked up at her, his eyes wide and shiny like a puppy. He smiled instantly and calmly got up.

“Sorry,” he said to her and plopped himself down in his seat right next to the other guy. She nodded.

When Ary came to her seat, she barely noticed how hard Onew had been staring. Ary smiled uneasily.

“Uhm…hi there…..”

“Oh, hi…sorry….” He turned around hastily, his silky, glossy, neck-length locks whipping around with his head motion before coming to an abrupt stop when hitting his nape, where they sat in security.

Ary couldn’t help but smile. She barely knew the guy and he already seemed goofy and loveable to her.

            Mrs. Williams strolled into the classroom a couple minutes late clutching her books and lesson plans in her arms just as she did yesterday. She set them down in the same spot—then returned to her same spot in front of the class.

“Good afternoon class! I have exciting news!” she smiled brightly, her teeth pearly white. “I was able to get a hold of an old class set of some Shakespearean Sonnets! So today we are going to decipher them. I want you guys to be able to find as many literary devices in here as you can. I’ve written some on the board if you need help remembering. I’ll let you all work with who you want, but no more than groups of three! So there should be twelve groups of people at the least! No more than that! Come up and get whichever sonnet you feel is best for you and your group mates. You all will have up until the last 5 minutes of class to turn it in! Get started!” she sat at her desk.

Ary didn’t know anyone else in the class. The only person she’d expect to work with her was that Onew kid, but it seemed as if he had a friend—

 

“Wanna work with us?”

 

Her thoughts were penetrated by the sound of the Korean boy’s voice. She looked at him, then at his friend who was also staring at her.

“Sure.”

 

While Ary and Jonghyun moved the desks together, Onew went and chose the Shakespearean that he thought would be easiest to decipher. After they all got settled with their pencil and paper in hand Onew tapped Ary’s shoulder.

“This is my friend, Jonghyun.” He gestured towards the guy. Jonghyun didn’t look up at her; he was too consumed in the lyrics of Shakespeare. Ary giggled.

 

“I don’t get it. What the hell does ‘doth’ mean?” he scratched his head, which was covered in thick dark brown strands.

“I think I can explain it.” Ary took the paper from Jonghyun and read it. “Oh…I’ve read this before…in 9th grade….”

“Really? Can you tell us what it means!?” Jonghyun huffed out to her, already bored and irritated with the assignment.

Ary laughed and nodded towards the pouting boy. She began explaining.

 

“….interesting…” Jonghyun told her. “Shakespeare had interesting thoughts.”

 

“Yeah.” Onew chimed in. “Too interesting. He makes to many ual references.”

 

“It’s just the art of language,” Ary told them. “It’s so fun. You can do whatever you want with it.”

“Is that why it interests you so much?” Onew asked with his head supported by his arm.

Ary nodded. “Yeah.”

Jonghyun scoffed. “I hate English.”

“How come? You can speak it.” Ary pointed out.

“But I barely understand it. I still don’t know why the hell we need to conjugate verbs to fit a subject. We don’t have this in Korean language, what you see is what you get!” he crossed his arms.

“Wait, you’re Korean too?” Ary asked. Jonghyun nodded and flashed a smile.

“Hm. You don’t look very Asian either.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Jonghyun looked towards Onew. Onew shrugged.

“I dunno. Speak some Korean.”

“Okay…what do you want me to say?”

“I dunno,” Ary repeated. “Anything.” Though she didn’t show it, she was really eager to hear what they were gonna sound like.

“Uh….Onew-hyung, you must study hard if you want to pass finals.”

Ary’s eyes widened. “Impressive.” She turned to Onew. “Did you understand him?”

Onew nodded.

“What did he say?”

“He told me to study hard if I wanted to pass finals.”

Ary pursed her lips. “Cool. Do you guys speak Korean most of the time?”

Onew thought for a moment. “Only when we feel like it.”

“That’s cool.”

They finished up their assignment in little conversation. Jonghyun was the one to volunteer to take it to the teacher’s desk.

Ary sighed, still thinking about the Korean Jonghyun had spoken earlier.

“What’s wrong?” Onew asked.

“I wish I knew a different language. I’ve wanted to become a polyglot since forever, which is why languages and writing intrigue me so much.”

Onew smiled softly. “Well, you’re on your way to reaching your dreams.”

“I know,” Ary whined, “but I wish I knew one now.”

 

An idea popped into Onew’s head and he proposed it before he could ponder on it.

“….I could teach you…”

Ary faced him. “Teach me what? Korean?”

Onew stared back at her, searching her face for any disapproval. When he found none, he nodded.

“Hm. Yeah, I’d like that.” She grinned brightly at his idea.

“Good. When is your lunch hour?

“Fifth.”

“Great! Mine is 5th hour too. If you aren’t too busy, you could come sit with us and I could get my other friends to help you in the lessons.” He smiled. “Only if you really want to.”

Ary nodded, watching Jonghyun walk back to their cluster of desks. The bell rang and the class emptied in minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, yes....these chapters seem boring so far. 

But the best is yet to come!!!!

I'll update depending on the feedback :D otherwise, it's once a week (possibly every Thursday) :) I love you guys ♥

Subscribe, Upvote, Comment!