Chapter 22

The Name I Loved

It wasn't long before Ary mentioned the new school of choice to her mother.

“What makes you want to go here all of a sudden?” her mother asked while slicing the potatoes free of their skin and tossing it into the trash.

“A friend reccommended it to me.”

“Which friend?”

Ary bit her lip. “Mmm…Aleah did.”

“Oh wow, so Aleah is planning on going somewhere this prestigious?”

“Yes.”

“Hmmmm are you sure it’s not that Onew guy’s idea?”

 

Immediately, Ary’s heart rate increased. She remembered Onew meeting her mother—that’s when he came over and hit the fan. But as far as she knew, her mother just thought they were friends…

 

Right?

 

“W-what?” Ary asked causing her mother to immediately smack her lips.

“Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about, young lady.”

 

Ary was terrible at hiding her emotions from her mom and visibly looked shaken. Her mother always saw through her and could tell when she was trying to hide something (for the most part). Who was she kidding? There was no other choice but to tell the truth.

 

“What do you mean, mom?”

“I heard you and Aleah talking about him on the phone. So you thinking of switching schools because of him?”

Ary mentally kicked herself for not taking Aleah’s advice about texting rather than talking on the phone when they spoke about Onew.

Ary’s mother took the shaved potatoes and put them into a pot of boiling water.

“So who is he to you, missy?”

“He’s my friend…”

“A friend, huh?” Her mother said in disbelief. “Do your male ‘friends’ normally take you out on dates to the park? Or kiss you routinely after school?”

 

Dang, her mother was not playing around. If her mother remembered the park date, she must’ve known for a long time that Ary and Onew were an item, even when she brought him to her house.

 

“Mommy…” Ary began, not knowing how to save herself. Her mother laughed and went over to give her a hug.

“So I’m right, huh!? I definetly knew something was up when you brought him to the house last week. It’s okay sweetie, I don’t mind you dating him! Just don’t keep things from me next time, okay? I know you’re getting older now and want to have your independence, but you’re still my little girl and sometimes I just want to know when you’ve hit your milestones. Okay?”

“Okay mommy.” Ary answered with a smile. Her mom kissed her forehead.

“I’m happy for you honey. Have any plans with him today?”

“Ice cream…” Ary reluctatly replied.

“I knew it, haha. If I ain’t mention him, you probably wouldv’e lied to me! Just as long as you text me when you get there and text me when you are on your way back. And he has to come here to pick you up. And he has to come to dinner to meet the family. And—”

“MOM! We’re just dating! We aren’t engaged! Omg…”

Ary’s mother laughed. “Yeah, I know I know, but I want to make sure he’s handeling my daughter well. Did you finish your homework?”

“Yes mom.”

“Okay then you can leave whenever you’re ready.”

 

Ary smiled to herself. She no longer had to hide this relationship from her mother! She hoped Onew would eventually be the same.

“Thanks mommy,” Ary said. She started towards the living room when her mom called out,

“Oh! And NO !!!”

“Moooooooommy!” Ary countered, though her cheeks felt hot upon remembering getting cozy with Onew on his bed.

Her mother does not have to know about that.

Her mom only laughed in response and allowed Ary to leave in peace.

 

While getting ice cream, Ary told Onew the good news.

“My mom knows about us. Appearently, she knows because I talk too loud on the phone with my friend. What about yours?”

“She doesn’t know yet. Truthfully, I don’t think I can tell her.”

“Why not?”

 

Onew sat silently with his eyes fixed on the spoon picking at his sundae. Ary watched as he chewed on his lower lip looking as if he wanted her to drop the subject already.

 

“Do you think she’s gonna be mad at you?” Ary asked.

 

“Maybe?”

 

Ary felt her heart skip a beat. If the reason his mother might be angry is what she thought it was, then that means that Minyong was right. And Ary didn’t want to believe that Minyong was right.

Best not to beat around the bush.

 

“What’s ‘maybe’ supposed to mean, Jinki? You think she won’t like me?”

Onew shook his head.

“It’s not that. I just think she’s a little…overprotective, you know? Like, she got her heart broken and she doesn’t want the same to happen to me, I guess.”

 

Ary was slightly relieved. It made sense at least.

 

“Oh.”

 

“Don’t think I’ll let that keep me from telling her about you though,” Onew began while looking up at her. “I’m just waiting for a good time.”

 

“Oh. Okay.”

 

The two sat in silence for a while. Ary began thinking about Onew’s group of friends.

 

“What about those 4 guys you hang around?”

“My friends?” Onew asked. “What about them?”

“You think I can be friends with them? Are they nice?”

“They’re nice,” Onew reassured. “They’re just a little shy. Maybe we all can hang some day?”

“There’s a Valentine’s day party that Key is having. Just an excuse for him to show off his decorating skills before he goes to school for fashion. I’ll ask if I can bring you.”

“That would be nice. Since they know about us, they can know what I’m like!”

Onew giggled. “As long as they don’t get too close…” he moved in closer to her and winked.

 

Onew sent Key a text message asking if it was okay to bring a friend his girlfriend to his party.

 

Key replied almost immediately, and what he said put a pang of annoyance in him.

 

 

From: Kibum

1:43 pm

------------------------

She can come, but Minyong will be there. Is that gonna be an issue?

 

Onew sighed aloud and it caught Ary’s attention.

Ary turned to him. “What’s wrong?”

“Minyong is gonna be there. If you don’t wanna go, we can find another time.”

Ary laughed. “Psh. That little girl that has a crush on you? I’m not afraid of her. I’m gonna go, Onew. Tell him I’ll be there.”

Onew typed away at his phone and it pinged seconds later.

 

From: Kibum

1:45 pm

-------------------

Okay but both of them are your responsibility. I will not have cat fights at my party!!!

 

Onew reassured him before he shut his phone off and laid back on the bench they were sitting on.

“I hope you’re not letting that girl stress you out.” Ary told him.

“No, no. I’m just a little worried. If she says something to you, promise me you won’t fight her?”

“Fight her? Please Onew. I’m a classy lady. My words are amo.”

Onew snickered. “Oh really? Then what about those cute little hits you give me when I say something stupid?”

“You’re different, honey. Those are love smacks that don’t require intellectual debate.”

“Since when is arguing over a boy considered an ‘intellectual debate’?”

“Since Minyong began sticking her nose into our relationship!”

Onew and Ary laughed then scooted closer to eachother with Ary settling close in Onew’s arms.

“I’m excited for you to meet my friends. I think they’ll really like you.”

“I think they’ll like me too. Everyone likes me.”

Onew smiled. “Minyong doesn’t.”

“Something is clearly wrong with that girl.” Ary let out a smile giggle before relaxing into the embrace of her boyfriend. The only opinion that materred was his friends. Not the other guests, and espeacially not Minyong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I missed you guys so much <3