Chapter 29

The Exiled Ice Princess

Chapter 29

 

*Stretch* *stretch* *stretch* *stretch*.....ooooohh...aaah...aaaah..eeehhhh..ooooh

 

My day will start with a vocal practice here in the practice room.

 The song that was given to me is unbelievably full of emotions.

 The melody is nice, the rhythm is just amazing, the pitching is also doable.

 There is no problem really if you just listen to the song purely based on technicality.

 However, the act of expressing such deep emotions kind of bothers me. 

Although I know that I have struggled, endured pain, and any other forms

    that can trigger emotions, but, how I express my emotions is what’s getting on my nerves. 

 

High notes were all over the place, but it’s not the kind of notes that can easily be 

    accomplished by just throwing it masterfully. These high notes express pain, sadness, and longing.

The normal notes express thoughts and worries. 

 

Aigoo, I should practice for this piece for a good amount of time.

I wonder if my duet partner is also struggling with this. He/she must be really good 

   to be able to hit these kind of high notes. Hmmm.

Could my duet partner be a guy? It has a good possibility. 

Anyways, it’s not that important right now. I’ll just mind my own.

 

Through the glass wall, I saw Tiffany waving at me. I put down the headphones

   and walked to the other room. She seemed worried even though she’s smiling from ear to ear.

 

“Hi, Taeyeon-ah. You shouldn’t have stopped. I just came to wave and check on you. 

    You’re doing pretty well.”

“It’s almost 5pm, anyway. I’m glad you checked on me. I should take my break now

   and eat lunch. I deserve this.” I said to her nonchalantly. She spanked my arm.

“Yaaah.. It’s almost dinner time already. You are working too hard.

    It’s just a song, you can easily nail it, without even trying so hard.”

It’s never just a song for me, though. Every song needs to be felt. Being one with a song, especially this new song, surely needs time and effort. At least for me.

“It’s fine. I like it anyway. Would you like to eat with me? Dinner for you, lunch for me.”

“Okay. Dinner for me. Lunch for you.”

 

 

Our orders fastly arrived. Noodles for me and salad for her. I really like this restaurant.

 They are serving my hungry stomach well. 

We ate in silence. Tiffany kinda likes this formal atmosphere when eating.

 Good and proper kid, I guess. 

I looked at her face. For an ordinary person’s point of view, she seemed happy 

   and calm, no problems to worry. But in my point of view, she’s struggling. 

Despite the happy facade, her hurt feeling is fuming out. I can no longer take my silence.

 

“What’s wrong?” I looked straight at her eyes. She raised her eyes to level mine,

      then immediately replaced it to her plate.

“Nothing.” she continued eating.

“Tell me.” she stopped and put down her fork.

“Just eat Taeyeon-ah. You know I don’t like to talk while eating.”

“I’m done. I’ll just wait for you to finish.” she glared at me.

“Done? You haven’t even touched half of your plate. You haven’t eaten all day. So eat.”

“My appetite’s gone. I’ll just wait.” and now she glared daggers.

“Eat.” and so I obeyed. She’s really something.

Finishing my plate, I saw her smiling at me.

“What?”

“Appetite’s gone, huh? Tss.” she’s mocking me, with a smile. It kinda makes me smile too.

I rolled my eyes at her. Then I remembered something.

“Let’s talk.”

“We’re talking now.” she simply stated.

“What’s wrong? Tell me.”

“Nothing’s wrong. I’m fine. Let’s go.” she stood up and started to walk out of the restaurant.

Leaving money on the table, I started to walk to catch up to her.

“Talk to me. I’m your friend.” she stopped walking. Annoyance consumed her.

“Fine. My place.”

 

She was silent during the whole drive. Unusual for Tiffany. I feel pity on her.

 

Closing her condo unit’s door, tears started falling.

 

“Lean on me. You can cry on my shoulders.”

 

We sat down on her couch and she hugged me. She cried her heart out. 

I patted her back while fighting to stop my own tears.

After a couple of minutes. She started talking.

 

“I’m sorry Taeyeon-ah for being so stiff earlier. And thanks for being here with me now.”

“It’s fine with me. You’re in pain. It’s just right for me to be here with you right now.”

She dried up the remnants of her tears and touched the back of my hand.

 

“I like this girl.

     Although I know it’s not right to the eyes of the many,

     I just felt this way, what can I do, right?”

 

I just nodded and let her continue. Let it all out Miyoung-ah.

 

“I honestly didn’t know that I like her until recently. I saw her, she was really happy

     to hear from someone after such a long time. Her face was glowing brightly.

     She was grinning from ear to ear everyday after that. I felt jealous.

     It’s odd at first so I dismissed the thought immediately. And one night,

     she told me that she wanna take a stroll at the tower. And so I accompanied her.

     She was really kind and caring. She bought food and drinks and asked me

     if I’m cold or uncomfortable. I felt being treasured at that moment. 

    And I fell for her, real hard...”

 

Her eyes are now again watery. Tears threatening to fall down any minute. 

And she laughed. Bitterly.

 I wanted to know who is this person she walked with at the tower.

 But then again, it’s her moment now.

 

...”It’s really funny that at the same night I fell for her, it was also the same night

        that my heart was deeply crushed because of her.

        Aaaahhh my stupidity right? HAHAHAHA *sobs*” 

 

Tiffany started crying again. My heart is crushing at the sight of her.

 I held her hand tightly and whispered words of encouragements.

 I know it’s not of any help at the moment but still.

 

“I saw the other girl’s sister when we were on our way to the topmost

      part of the tower, the observatory. So I called her since we’re somewhat close. 

     The girl turned to us, waved and walked toward us.

     I felt her stiffened beside me. She’s seemed nervous and fidgety.

     She’s also close with this girl, and so I thought Why is she like this? 

    We exchanged greetings. I hugged the girl and then she hugged the girl.

     I asked the girl, Who are you with? And she told us,

     I’m with my unnie. She’s at the observatory now I’m just here to buy something

    A minute after, with all the innocence, she bid goodbye to us to go to her sister.

    We waved back.....

   Then she asked me to go home *sobs*. We haven’t even reached to the top yet.

    Her aura changed from being happy and kind to being fidgety and cold *sobs*.

    Then I remembered, she liked the older sister *laughs bitterly*. 

    She didn’t want to take a stroll on the tower, 

     she wanted to see her having fun with her younger sister...”

 

“So..she really liked the unnie, huh?”

 I felt defeated. It’s Tiffany’s sad story, why am I being like this?

Tiffany continued....

  “.......and the most hurtful part of this sad love story of mine is that:

          I became her confidant whenever she’s hurt by the girl.

          She cried to me................*sobs* *sobs*........ 

          And her tears were never for me. This hurts me the most.”