Chapter 23

The Exiled Ice Princess

 

She’s back. The photos snapped by the paparazzi at the airport revealed her current location to everyone. 

Her airport fashion, as usual, never failed everyone’s taste. She’s born a fashionista, what can I say? Hehe.

 

I was in the middle of vocal practice, for my upcoming solo debut, when my phone buzzed. Sunny.

“What now Sunny-ah?” I asked her directly. The last thing I need right now is to be pranked again by her. 

I’m kind of busy for my upcoming solo debut.

“Yaaah! I haven’t even started yet! Tsk.” I can sense her pouting on the other line. I resigned myself. 

Positive vibes, please come to me.

“Okay fine. Sunny-ah, what’s the matter?” I asked her gently, pretending to mean each word I uttered.

“Whatever ahjumma. Anyways, did you hear about f(x) debuting from that other company tomorrow?” 

“Yes, why?” Shocks I forgot. Oh, that’s why she came back.

“Should we cheer them up tomorrow before their first broadcast?” I know she’s beaming sunshines right now. I sighed.

“Should we? I’m fine with whatever you guys come up with. Just notify me.”

“I understand. Thanks Taeng. U da best!” she hung up. Is my opinion really that important for them? Aigoo.

 

 

“CONGRATULATIONS!” 

We shouted in sync, announcing our sudden arrival in their dressing room, causing a surprising effect to our Juniors. 

We know that it’s been months since they changed agency, and it’s their decision, but who cares, we respect and 

understand it and we will continue to support them in the future. We were once in the same family, and we intend to

 keep it that way. I feel the same way for our group’s other main vocal too. She’ll always be a part of us.

Busy with this kind of thought, the current situation we are on now sunk later than my usual. 

The room was suddenly filled with awkward air. I was curious as to why the other girls stayed still after our loud entrance. 

I scanned the room, then BOOM! 

There she is. Sitting beside her sister, eating chocolate.

It seemed that the awkward air only surrounded us eight. F(x) and Jessica didn’t seem to find our sudden intrusion awkward. 

They got over it already? I know she’s tough. She’s accomplished many things after we decided to let her go.

 

“Wah! Unnies, all of you came!” Luna delightedly addressed to all of us.

“Of course. We’re family!” Sunny answered affectionately, blending perfectly to the happy crowd.

 I wonder how Jessica will react to it. I looked at her. She’s smiling and I feel that it’s genuine, at least for me. 

I’m having the feeling that she’s contented with her life now. She did get over us. A pang of hurt pulsated in 

my chest, though of course I’m happy too.

 

“Guys! You’re on in 5 minutes.” a staff from the show peeked at the door, calling everyone’s attention.

“Okay, thank you oppa.” F(x) replied.

 

“Don’t be nervous everyone. I know you can do it. Fighting!” Jessica cheered enthusiastically.

“Unnnieee...” Krystal cuddled lovingly in her sister’s arm.

“Fighting!” F(x), Jessica and us cheered in chorus.

When the girls were about to get on the stage, each of us hugged them and said word of encouragements.

 For a moment in there, all of us are relaxed and unified.

 

“Unnies, will all of you watch us?” Sulli inquired. Then Amber, Krystal, Victoria and Luna, even Jessica,

    shifted their gazes toward us. We are overwhelmed.

“Sure. We have our schedules vacated specially for this.” Yuri winked at them. Wow Yuri-ah, look at you, 

   all mushy. How cute. I giggled at the thought.

“Wow, it’s good then. All of us will be supporting you guys as you perform. I bet that’ll be a good charm.”

 Jessica happily announced.

She said it. SHE said it. Jessica said it. No more hatred? I think I’m gonna cry, out of extreme joy of course.

 

“Taeyeon, are you alright?” she asked me. Then all the attentions darted straight to me.

“Yes..uhm..of course Sic-.. I mean Jessica. Hehe” I laughed awkwardly. Gosh Taeyeon, pull yourself together! My subconscious scowled disgustingly at me. 

   TT_TT

 

“Well then, let’s go.” Jessica pointed for the direction after patting my arm. 

Then I felt daggers are being sent out to me when Yuri and mine’s eyes crossed. It’s getting chilly in here. Gosh. 

 

 

After the successful broadcast of the group, the girls decided to go celebrate. 

“Hey guys, we should hurry. You have a fully packed schedule right after this broadcast, right? So let’s go.” Hyoyeon suggested.

“Our schedule is fine, unnie. Although we have many guesting and stuff like that, they give us a good amount of time to rest.

 Our company takes good care of us now. So you don’t have to worry unnie.” Amber happily answered that made the other 

members nod their heads in chorus. It’s good for them. They made the right decision.

“That’s great. I’m envious.” Yoona answered with a pout from Seohyun, Sunny and Sooyoung.

“Yeah, I agree. Anyways, guys I can’t come with you. I have to do something. Congratulations again.” well, sadly I have a

 meeting with my manager and CEO for my debut next week. I don’t like the idea behind this meeting but I have no other 

choice but to show up. Irritation starts to build up. It’s for everyone, for a good cause. I repeated this in the back of my 

mind to calm myself. My daily mantra.

I started to walk on the other direction when Jessica also said her goodbye.

“Me too. I can’t go to the celebratory dinner with you guys. I’m sorry. I have a meeting for the business. 

 Congratulations again guys, good job!”

 

All of them lit up when Jessica praised them, what an odd expression. Though of course they were initially dismayed 

that both me and her can’t join them. 

We waived our hands to the accelerating van moving away from us. They’ll surely have a good time.

 I want to have fun too. I pouted unconsciously.

 

“Hey, where are you heading to? I can just drop you off on the way since I brought my car.” she offered to me.

 Did she already forgave me? Such a nice idea.

“Oh..uhm..it’s alright Jessica. I can just grab a tax..i.” I trailed off when I saw the busy street in front of us. 

Getting a taxi would probably take me at least 15 minutes and by then I’ll be late.

“Taeyeon, it’s fine. Just ride with me okay? Where are you heading to?” I flushed at the thought of Jessica 

helping me. I don’t deserve to be treated like this. Full of shame, I answered her.

“S.M. Building. I hope it won’t be an inconvenience in your part.”

“A little bit. Just kidding.. Ehehe. I parked my car there on the corner, let’s go.”

Well, that’s a relief. 

 

Jessica wished me goodluck for next week. I said thanks, gratefully, to her and climbed out of her car.

I waived goodbye to her after she dropped me off at the entrance of the building. 

Oh wait.. how did she know? the teasers aren't out yet. Oh well. 

She’s still the caring, sweet, and the most genuine person I knew even before that painful event happened. 

I long for her.

 

 

“Taeyeon, next week Monday will be your upcoming solo debut. Everything is ready, the album, posters, your schedule, 

it will be tight. This would mean that you would spend the rest of this week to relax and rest for you will be deprived to any

 forms of rest the following week. You understand?”

My manager instructed me in front of the nodding CEO. I can only sigh and nod for I know that it’s already decided. 

What difference can it make if I ask and defy their instructions? Nothing. So I basically just nodded all throughout the meeting.

 But then, what Mr. CEO added at the end caught my attention. 

“Extra effort, Taeyeon. The other company will also be releasing another idol or unit on the same day. I believe in your talent,

 no doubt about that, but it’s that company. They’re now our major competitor. Keep that in mind.”

“What company?” though I knew exactly what he meant, I still asked for confirmation.

“Twins Company. They have great talents, and we ourselves witnessed that first-hand.”

“Of course sir. But who, specifically?” I need to prepare myself.

“That, we don’t know. It’s the silhouette one, probably. Extra careful dear.”

Then they bid their goodbyes.

 

Who could that be? It’s frustrating to not know who’s gonna be my competitor. I brushed the mind boggling thought

 immediately after I exited the building. I decided to just let the future decide for itself. A real challenge awaits. A part

 of me is excited. Finally, I’ll be alive again!

 

And later that week, the Royal Ice Couple is introduced. Kris and ......

That's why she knew. I just can’t.