I Don't Know

Ballad

“Park Hyomin where are you? Don’t ever think of bailing on us.” Eunjung said. They were going to have dinner together with their partners.

“I am not bailing Eunjung. And please don’t shout. I am bringing a friend if that’s ok?”

“Sure. No problem. Just be here soon.” She hung up. Jiyeon looked at her asking what happened.

“She is coming…with a friend.” Eunjung said smiling. Jiyeon on the other hand keep thinking who this friend is. “Are you ok?” Eunjung asked when she sees Jiyeon’s serious face.

“Yeah. I was just wondering who this friend is.”

“I am also curious who her date is. I’m excited for this triple date.” Eunjung exclaimed and went inside where Gyuri and Myungsoo are waiting.

“Date…” Jiyeon stood there for a minute then went inside.

“Hello! Sorry we are late. We were caught on traffic. Everyone, please meet my friend Qri. Qri this is Eunjung and her girlfriend, Gyuri. Of course you know Jiyeon. And this is her boyfriend, Myungsoo.”

Everyone greeted Qri. Jiyeon can only look at Qri. So she is Hyomin’s date.. Hyomin and Qri became close in highschool. Sometimes Jiyeon can’t help but be jealous because Hyomin will always be with Qri. Qri..she is more beautiful now.

“So how did you two meet?” Eunjung started the conversation

“We were seatmates. Though we only started talking towards the end of the senior year.” Hyomin explained.

“Well, Hyomin will always be quiet and look outside the window. So it was quite difficult to approach her.” Qri said.

“You were also quiet..” Hyomin tried to reason out.

Jiyeon could not join in the conversation. She just watch them talk, tease, flirt, have fun. It was supposed to be a fun night but not for Jiyeon. She can’t explain why…she does not want Qri around Hyomin. It’s like they shared something..something that makes them closer. Jiyeon watch as Hyomin smiles. Unnie are you happy to be with her?

“Jiyeon are you ok? You have been quiet the whole time.” Gyuri asked.

“I just feel tired maybe.” Jiyeon faked an answer.

“Shall we call it a night then?” Eunjung asked

“No. Stay. I will just go home and rest.” Jiyeon said. She does not want to ruin the moment.

“I will send you home.” Myungsoo said. Jiyeon just nod. Usually Hyomin will also offer to send her home but now she didn’t.

--

“It’s Jiyeon right?” Hyomin looked at the person beside her. They decided to hang out in the park after meeting Hyomin’s friends. “Jiyeon. She is the reason you cried that night.” Qri continued.

“Hmm.”

“I can see it. The way you look at her even tonight. You wanted to send her home. Why didn’t you?”

“I am with you.” Qri raised her eyebrow to Hyomin. “She has a boyfriend who sends her home.”

“I think she was expecting you to send her home.”

“I don’t think so, unnie.”

“Well, make up your mind.”

“Huh?”

“You are neither here nor there. You are acting like you gave up on her but you don’t want to move on from her. So make up your mind Hyominnie.”

“How come you become so wise unnie? Did something happened in Japan?”

“I am always wise. Don’t try to change the topic.”

“I tried to move on. I avoided her. I just…love her no matter what.”

“Don’t you think that maybe she has fallen for you?”

“I don’t think so. I mean I wish what you say is true… She made it clear to me that she only loves Eunjung.”

“Then why is she with Myungsoo?”

“I don’t know unnie. She just made it clear to me that she cannot love me.”

Silence…

“I wish you can be happy Hyomin.”

“Me too. Unnie is here to make me happy right?”

“Yeah because I am sick of your gloomy state.”

“Yah! So unnie, how are you? You are happy too right?”

“Of course I am. Unlike you, I fight for my love.”

“Yah! I must talk some sense to Soyeon unnie then.”

“Haha. Thanks Hyomin. You gave me courage when I was about to give up on her. So now I am here to return the favor. Don’t give up on Jiyeon just yet. Not now.”

--

They have been hanging out because they wanted to enjoy before Qri went back to Japan for studies. Qri sends Hyomin to her apartment. She stays there when it is school days.

“Bye unnie. See you.”

“Bye Hyominnie. Remember what I said.”

Hyomin nod and hug Qri before going inside her apartment. It was already past midnight when she returns. When she turn on the lights she was shock to see Jiyeon inside seating in her sofa. Jiyeon and Eunjung knows her password so she would not be surprise when they barge in her house. But this is different, usually they will be loud. Once she was able to compose herself she spoke,

“Jiyeon ah, you should at least open the lights. You almost gave me a heart attack”

“It’s late.”

“Well, Qri and I hang out in the park after having dinner?”

So you are with Qri…. Jiyeon thought, a tear started to fall.

“Ji, are you ok? What happened? Tell me. I am here.”

“Until when?”

“Huh?”

“Until when are you going to be here unnie? Until when will you stay with me? I hardly spend time with you. I am hurt unnie”

“Mianhe. I never intend to hurt you. That’s the last thing I wanted to do. It’s just…”

“What unnie? Studies? Family? Classmates? Qri?”

“Why is Qri brought into this? She has nothing to do with this.”

“She has everything to do with this!” Jiyeon shouted and went to the other room not forgetting on shutting the door.

“What just happened?” Hyomin was startled of what just happened. “Yah! This is my house!”