Memories You Gave Me

Ballad

“What’s the problem Appa?”

Mr. Park looked at her daughter. “I thought you’re going out?”

“It was cancelled. Now, what’s bothering you? You’re drinking so something’s up.”

“Why is your date cancelled?”

“Boram unnie called saying that Jiyeon was not feeling well. Shannon said she saw Jiyeon in the university today. What did you do to her?”

“Why would you think I will do something to her?”

“I don’t know. You might have scared her or something.”

“Do you like her?”

Sunyoung nods. “I just met her but each day I am falling for her. She makes me smile and happy everyday. I can feel butterflies in my stomach. She makes my heart beats faster...”

Mr. Park just watches and listens to her daughter’s love confessions. How he wished things can be like this for her and Jiyeon. But life has been cruel to both of them.

“Sunyoung ah, I have something for you.”

Sunyoung went to follow her father to his office. Mr. Park was seating and there was a box in front of him. Sunyoung sat opposite him.

“3 years ago, I made a promise to you that we will start over again. Mianhe, Appa is breaking that promise now.”

“Appa?”

“I kept some of your stuff and hid them in this box.”

“Why are you giving me this now?”

“There are people we’ve left behind. There is someone you’ve loved so much in the past. Someone you’ve left behind. Yet somehow fate has brought you two back together.” Mr. Park stood up and walked towards his daughter and kissed her on the forehead before leaving her alone.

Sunyoung stared at the box. The box that contains her past. The past she wanted to forget. She then decided to open it. It has her diaries, her phone and pictures. Sunyoung saw her old phone and charged it. She decided to take a look at the pictures. Pictures when she was still studying. She recognizes herself, Jiyeon and the famous actress Eunjung.

“So we were friends even before. I’m even friends with the actress Ham Eunjung. Daebak!”

She looked so happy. She can’t help but notice that there is something special between her and Jiyeon. It can be seen in the pictures.

“It seems like I like her even before.”

She then proceeds to read her diaries. Starting from the oldest.

“So I called myself Hyomin. Cool name.”

“Eunjung, Jiyeon and I are friends. And I was in love with Jiyeon while she was in love with Eunjung.”

She read how her relationship with Jiyeon started and the difficulties they’d experienced when they were dating. How they had fights and quarrels. How it was when she found out about her sickness. How she wanted to tell Jiyeon. The last record on her diary was when she decided to go to Jiyeon and tell her everything. She wondered what happened. Why Jiyeon never knew what happened to her? Why is she not together with Jiyeon?

She checked her phone and saw messages from Jiyeon, Eunjung and Qri but mostly from Jiyeon.

“Hyomin ah where are you? Please come back”

“I am a pabo”

“Saranghe. Please come back”

“I will wait for you forever”

“Mianhe”

She cried upon hearing Jiyeon’s voice messages begging her to come back.

--

After knowing what had happened, Jiyeon and Sunyoung avoided each other. Jiyeon does not know how to approach Hyomin/Sunyoung. After what she had done to her, she does not know whether she is even worthy to love her.

Hyomin, on the other hand, does not know how to process everything she discovered in one night. Years of memories is a little bit hard to swallow in one night. She also does not know how to approach Jiyeon.

“Unnie, what are we doing here?” Hyomin asked Jihyo

“Shannon insisted that we should go to this event.”

“Since when did you let Shannon order you around, Unnie?” Hyomin teased.

“She had a point when she said that you need to go out.”

Hyomin looked at Jihyo. After she learned the truth, she locked herself inside the room for a day and she seldom goes out of the house. “I am sorry for making you all worry.”

“Just remember that we are always here for you.”

“Thanks Unnie. I love you.”

“I love you too. Please still love me after this”

“What did you do Unnie?” Hyomin asked but she does not need an answer because it was a party for Jiyeon. 

“We know that you have been avoiding each other. We just taught that you two should talk this out.” Jihyo explained. “Yes, Kahi, Boram and Shannon planned this as well.”

Hyomin looked at Jiyeon and Jiyeon did the same. No words are needed to be said, their eyes say it all. All the emotions they feel – guilt, self-doubt, confusion, longing, love.

“I like to get everyone’s attention.” Park Boram called out. “As you can see this party is for our idol and soon to be drama actress, Park Jiyeon! Yes, she will be going back to the Seoul to film a drama…”

Boram kept on talking but Hyomin didn’t hear the rest. All that was on her head was that Jiyeon is leaving. She does not know what to think nor to feel.

She went outside to clear her head. Jiyeon followed her but she was just looking at Hyomin. They just stood there.

“Don’t you have anything to say?” Jiyeon started.

Hyomin didn’t reply.

“I have.” Still looking straight ahead Jiyeon continued, “It would have been less complicated if you were not sick. If you didn’t need to go the operation. If you didn’t forget about everything.” Hyomin looked at Jiyeon and Jiyeon looked at her. “After you left, I said to myself that I will find you and get you back. No matter what I will win you back. But after learning what you’ve gone through when I should have been there with you. I don’t know if I am even worthy to stand next to you.”

“It would have been easier if we met that day on the train instead.” Hyomin said. “I don’t know if I can call myself lucky that I forget my past. Yes, it is difficult to swallow everything in one night. But I can deal with it. I just need time. But you Jiyeon ah, you lived all these years knowing the pain and sorrow.”

“I like to think that I deserve it after hurting you so much.”

“You have to learn to forgive yourself.” She caressed Jiyeon’s cheeks and continued, “Let go of the past, Jiyeon ah.”

“Why does it feel like de ja vu?”

“Maybe because you are stubborn even back then that we keep on having this conversation.”

“I am.”

They both chuckled.

“Jiyeon ah, stop punishing yourself.”

“Why does it have to be like this? Why do we have to meet again like this?”

“For closure. So we can finally have the closure we needed and start to move on with our lives.”

“Jiyeon! Mmmmppphh” Her manager tried to call out but Shannon, Kahi, Boram and Jihyo pulled the manager out of sight and shut him up. They will not let anyone ruin Minyeon moment.

“You have to go back inside. They are looking for you.”

Jiyeon was just staring at Hyomin crying. Tell me to stay. Just say it and I will stay.

You’ve suffered so much Jiyeon ah because of me. I will not stop you even if I wanted to. You have to start doing something for yourself. I can’t stop you from pursuing your dream. Hyomin was also crying. She leaned in and kissed Jiyeon’s forehead.