Falling U

Ballad

Hyomin was looking outside. She and her father agreed to stay at the doctor’s villa. The scenery was nice but her head is a mess.

“Sunyoung ah” Hyomin looked at her father. He looked like he has aged years after today.

“Appa…” She sat beside her Appa.

“Your Umma, she wanted you to have a happy life. We knew that this will happen one day; we just didn’t expect that it will be this soon. She does not want you to live in worry that’s why she made me promise not to tell you.” She looked at Hyomin and wiped her tears away. “We will find a way. Don’t give up. Be strong like your Umma and fight. I will always be here for you.”

“Why didn’t Umma go for an operation?”

“There are risks in the operation. There is a great chance that you will lose your memory or be paralyzed. You were already a kid when we learned that your Umma was sick. She refused because she rather spent her precious time with us. She loved you so much that she never ever wanted to forget about you even for a second.” He looked at his daughter.

“You want me to go through the operation?”

“Sunyoung, you are still young and you have a lot of things ahead of you. Despite the risk, there will be a greater chance of survival than not having the operation. You can still spend your time with your future family.” Hyomin hugged her father. She does not know what to do. “I am here. Appa is here.”

--

“Sunyoung, you need to decide soon.” Hyomin has not made a decision whether she will go for the operation or not. She wants to talk to Jiyeon first and let her know about her condition. But ever since Jiyeon came back from Japan, they have never met nor talked to each other.

“Appa, just a little longer. Please.” Mr. Park just sighed.

Jiyeon had been busier but at the same time she is avoiding Hyomin. She is still mad because she lied to her. But she wanted to resolve things with Hyomin so they met at her house.

“Come in.” Jiyeon opened the door and walked inside.

She is still mad at me. Hyomin just followed her inside. “Jiyeon, what’s the problem? Why have you been avoiding me? Is this still about Japan?”

“Will you tell me the truth?” Jiyeon asked.

Why are you asking me this? Do you know about my condition? “Jiyeon ah..”

“Can I trust you to tell me the truth?”

“Yes. I will never lie to you.”

“Then why didn’t you tell me last time? Why didn’t you tell me that you were Eunjung’s first love?!”

“So this is what it’s all about…” Hyomin was a bit relieved.

“Unnie, you know how I felt for her. I told you everything yet you never said one word about it?! You lied to me. I feel like you played me?”

“Jiyeon ah, I never played with your feelings. So what if I was Eunjung’s first love. Did it matter? It was in the past. We were kids back then.”

“If it didn’t matter then why did you kept it from me?”

“Jiyeon ah, it’s all in the past. Why can’t you move on? What matters is us.”

“I am yours. Are you happy? I can’t help but feel that you manipulated everything just to get what you wanted.”

“You did not mean that?” Hyomin was beyond hurt of what Jiyeon is accusing her.

“I am sorry. This is a mistake”

“Meeting me tonight? Or us?” Jiyeon kept quiet. Hyomin was lost for words with is happening right now. “I will give you some time and space to sort things out.” With that Hyomin left Jiyeon’s house crying. She wanted Jiyeon’s support but she ended up having a fight with her over some issues in the past.

--

“Sunyoung, have you talked to Jiyeon?” Hyomin shaked her head to answer her Appa. “Have courage. No matter what you two are going through…” Hyomin looked up to her father “Love conquers all” Hyomin laughed at her father’s cheesy lines. “It’s nice to see you smile.”

“Thank you Appa.”

“Ms. Park, Ms. Ham is here to meet you.”

“Please send her in.”

“Hi Uncle!”

“Hi Eunjung. Ok, I will leave you girls first.”

--

Jiyeon was getting drunk. She hangs out with her other idol friends. Eunjung heard about this and rushed to Jiyeon. These kinds of moment are the one Eunjung is trying to protect Jiyeon from. She drives Jiyeon back to her house.

 “What are you doing to yourself?”

“Just having fun?”

“What’s the problem? Hyomin is worried about you?”

“Why would my Hyominnie be worried?”

“She didn’t say but it’s all written in her face. I went to see her in her office earlier.”

“You went to see my girl? Your first love which is my girl?”

“Jiyeon, you’re drunk.”

“I am not! Or maybe I am. But I know what I am talking about. So are you making a move on her now?”

“What? So this is about what we talked about?! Jiyeon, move on. It’s all in the past. Don’t let the past ruin your relationship”

“Did she ask you to talk to me?”

“No, she does not know that you are drunk or that I am here. She never told me anything.”

“She never told me anything either”

“Ji, Hyomin loves you. If it’s about her not telling you about the past, it’s because she does not want to hurt you.”

“Hyomin, Hyomin, Hyomin. Unnie! I am here. I am the one you are talking to. Why can’t you see me? I have been here all along. Why is it all Hyomin?! Why didn’t you love me? Why can’t you love me? Why can’t it be me instead?...”

“You’re drunk. You don’t know what you are saying"

"Unnie, why can't you see and understand my feelings. How much I have loved you..." She walked closer and kissed Eunjung.

"Stop it Jiyeon. You don't know what you are doing… Go take a rest. I am leaving.” Eunjung left Jiyeon. Things just gone complicated. She should have just shut during the interview.

Jiyeon cried to sleep in the sofa. Unknown to them, Hyomin heard everything. After talking to Eunjung, she went there to clear things up with Jiyeon. She was in the room when they entered so they didn’t notice her. Losing her strength, she hugged her knee and cried all night.

Jiyeon was surprise that she woke up in her own bed. She recalls what happened last night but not the part that she walked to her own bed. Last night..it only became more complicated. She does not want to think about it. She was surprise to see Hyomin seating in the chair in her apartment.

“Do you want coffee?” Hyomin asked.

“Just water. I’ll get it.”

“Jiyeon ah, sometimes people don’t tell them the whole truth because they wanted to protect the person they love. Are you mad at me because I lied to you or because of Eunjung?” Hyomin just wanted to be sure.

“My head is all messed up. Let’s talk in another day.” She said trying to avoid Hyomin.

“It’s just a simple question, Jiyeon ah.” Jiyeon kept quiet. “Do you still love Eunjung?” Jiyeon is still quiet. “Answer me!!” She shouted.

Jiyeon looked at Hyomin and nodded. It broke the last piece of hope Hyomin was holding onto. Tears were flowing nonstop.

“Hyomin…”

“We’re over.” Hyomin said calmly after she wiped her tears. “We will just keep hurting if we stay together like this. I give up.”

Jiyeon hold Hyomin and said “I’m sorry..”

“No, don’t be sorry. Forget about me, about us. And this time, move on. That’s what I am going to do.” Hyomin went closer to Jiyeon and gave her a short kiss. “Goodbye, Jiyeon ah”

Jiyeon just stood there.

Hyomin left.

As soon as Hyomin walked out of the door she collapsed. She has been holding her emotions. All the stress is bad for her. Before she hit the floor, someone caught her. Her father assigned a bodyguard to Hyomin. He is worried that Hyomin might have a sudden attack because of her condition. She was rushed to Dr. Shin’s clinic.

“Mr. Park, it’s progressing really fast. We need to have an operation.”

“Appa, I don’t want to go in an operation.”

“Sunyoung, please. I beg you. Please do this for yourself. For me..”

Despite how hurt Hyomin was. She cannot leave her Appa alone. He is all she got. She is all he got. She nodded. “For you Appa.”

“Are we going to call anyone?” The nurse asked. Mr. Park was about to answer when Hyomin stopped him.

“No, everyone is here." Hyomin answered the nurse. She looked at her father and continued, "It’s just going to be you and me Appa. Let’s start over, just you and me.” Mr. Park was about to protest when Hyomin said, “Please.”

“Arasso. Appa is going to wait here. It’s just going to be you and me.” Mr. Park knew that things didn’t go well with Hyomin and Jiyeon but he does not know the details. What’s important is that Hyomin agreed to have the operation. He will respect his daughter’s decision and start over.