First Love

Ballad

It became more difficult for both Hyomin and Jiyeon to date. Even if they go on their very rare dates, it has to be a secret. They tried to be understanding but it was somewhat getting on their relationship. On the other hand, Eunjung was casted to a drama called First Love. She was doing interviews and she was being asked about her first love.

“Eunjung shi, when was your first love”

“When I was young. I am not sure if it is counted as love but it was the first time I’ve ever liked someone.”

“Ohh.. it must be puppy love then. Tell us about it.”

“I’ve like this person when I was a young. Right now we are bestfriends.”

“We all know that you are friends with Jiyeon shi. Does she know about this person?”

“Haha. Jiyeon is not aware of this but she does know this person very well.”

Jiyeon watched the interview and she can’t help but wonder who was Eunjung’s first love. There are only two people who have been Eunjung’s bestfriend since  she was a kid, she and Hyomin unless there is someone else… Despite her curiosity, the three never talked about Eunjung’s First Love interview. Each has their own reasons why.

--

Jiyeon went to Japan for promotions. She invited Hyomin to come with her but the other cannot join her because of her prior obligations. They had an argument about it. For Jiyeon, it was the only time they can spend time together. For Hyomin, she cannot leave her prior obligations plus she won’t be able to spend time with Jiyeon anyways because of her busy schedule. Eunjung happened to be in Japan also because she was shooting a CF.

“Eunjung! Jiyeon!”

“Qri!”

“Where’s Hyomin?”

“She is in Korea. She has some work to do.”

“Still busy as ever, well all three of you are busy. Come, I like you to meet Soyeon.”

“It’s nice to meet you Jiyeon shi, Eunjung shi. I am a fan of both of you.”

“Nice to meet you Soyeon shi.”

They continue to chat. Soyeon asked Eunjung about her First Love interview but Eunjung refused to talk about it making Jiyeon more curious. Eunjung and Jiyeon decided to get some drinks and chat. They both wanted to get loose. Eunjung is tired while Jiyeon feels bad that she had an argument with Hyomin.

“Unnie, I am also curious who your first love is?”

“Aish, not you too?”

“Why? You started it by doing that interview. You just raised all of our curiosity.”

“It was a mistake I should have just kept quiet.”

“Come on. You can share it with me. I won’t tell.”

“You’re drunk.”

“A little. Come on.”

“Things might get awkward because of it. So let’s just let it be.”

“Unnie, you just make me more curious.”

“Have you and Hyomin ever talked about it?”

“Huh? Hyominnie knows?” Eunjung just kept quiet. She has said too much. “Not fair. Unnie! Tell me. Tell me!” Eunjung was considering it. Yes, you are halfway there Jiyeon! She is considering it. Why am I so curious? “Ok, I will tell you mine if you will tell me yours. It’s all in the past now so I see no problem.”

“Arasso.” Jiyeon was getting excited to know who her first love’s first love was. “Things won’t get awkward?”

“Yes.”

“It’s Hyomin.” Jiyeon was shocked. A part of her wanted to know who she has lost to and she lost to her own girlfriend. “You know that we’ve known each other since we were kids but we only get close because of you. When we were younger, I always had a crush on her. We will hang out together but our friends will start to tease us because they know my feelings. It was really awkward and we were young. We somewhat avoided each other so we won’t get teased. Since then I have been looking after her from afar. I would be ecstatic when I see her or when we had those short simple moments. So we became awkward then we met you and we became close again.”

“Why did you stop? When did you stop liking her?”

“I guess I outgrew them. We were still kids. Hyomin and I never talked about it and when we do we just laugh it all off. I hope you won’t get mad that I kept it a secret. Hyomin and I agreed to never tell anyone else. I guess you are the first one. As I said, it’s in the pass. So don’t get mad or jealous, Jiyeonnie. I won’t take your girl away from you. I knew she has liked you from the start so I won’t stand a chance against you.”

Hyomin knew?! She knew all along! Why didn’t she tell me? Why did she lie to me?

“Jiyeon ah. Jiiyeon ah! Yah!” Jiyeon who was spacing out looked at Eunjung. “You promised to tell me who your first love was.” Jiyeon looked at Eunjung. Her eyes were red. “Jiyeon ah…”

“You. My first love was you Unnie. I have loved you from the moment I’ve met you.” Eunjung was so shock, she never thought Jiyeon has feelings for her. You were so busy looking after Hyomin to notice my feelings for you. Jiyeon stood up. “Don’t worry I am not mad. It’s all in the past, Unnie. We’ve both moved on. Just that I get to have the girl…” Jiyeon teased.

“Yah!”

“Just kidding. Unnie, let’s call it a night. We both have schedules tomorrow.”

--

In Korea

Hyomin wanted to go with Jiyeon in Japan but her father insisted that they have an important meeting even cancelling all her previous schedules. She was sad that they argued before they left. Now Jiyeon and her still haven’t talked.

“Clinic?” Hyomin asked Mr. Park who did not answer. “We went out of town just for a check-up?”

“Yes. You are here for a check-up, Sunyoung.”

“Appa, it was just a headache. Why are you overreacting? Is this the reason why you stopped me from joining Jiyeon to Japan?”

“We had to be sure.”

Hyomin can just shake her head over her father’s overreaction. It was just a headache yet he took it seriously and now she had a fight with Jiyeon because of this. A series of tests were done. It took them almost the whole day because they had to redo the tests just to confirm. They were sitting in the Dr. Shin’s office. Hyomin remembers Dr. Shin, he was one of her mother’s previous doctors. He had a serious look on his face.

“Dr. Shin, don’t tell me…” Mr. Park started as he read Dr. Shin’s expression.

“Mr. Park” He sighs. “I wish it wasn’t. We even tried to redo the test just to be sure. But both tests came back positive. The progression is two times faster.”

Mr. Park sobbed. “She’s still young.”

“Appa, what is happening? Why are you crying?”

“Sunyoung, your Umma died of a rare brain disease. Unfortunately, it’s hereditary.” Dr. Shin started to explain. Hyomin looked at her father who was still sobbing. “In your case, it’s progressing two times faster than your mom’s. I advised your father that you stay for a few days so we can monitor you and run more tests” Hyomin tried to absorb every word that is being said by the doctor but it’s all blur.