$ Maybe If I

Half A Million Wedding (Maybe Marriage too)

Apparently, all privileges of a patient are terminated that morning after Daehyun has proven himself healthy enough to go against Yongguk.

 

Daehyun gets shoved out of the way when Yongguk comes out of the shower, grumbling for Daehyun to get out of the way. Yongguk leaves water droplets and wet footprints after him when he strolls into the walk-in closet. Daehyun frowns at the wet floor and toes the small mat at the bathroom door to the wet patches in front of him. But the trail bothers him and he bends down, pressing both hands on the mat to wipe after the water. A satisfied grin spreads on his face as he watches the mat swallowing up the small puddles until his hands meet Yongguk's feet. He peers up stupidly and silently accepts the knock on his head.

 

"What the hell are you doing." Yongguk rolls his eyes at Daehyun before turning back to the clothes rack. "You follow me to TS today. I have stuff to move."

 

Daehyun pouts to himself. 

 

"Why? Unwilling? Do you need me to remind you that it's part of your job scope?" Yongguk glances at him and throws something in his face.

 

"Ow, what's that for!"

 

"This shirt is too small for me. You can have it. Now get out. I need to change."

 

Daehyun picks up the rolled up ball of shirt and stumbles out of the walk-on closet as Yongguk shuts the door behind him. He unrolls the article of clothing, a black T-shirt and finds the image of a rabbit printed on the front of it. It's cool but it's a little cute too since it's a rabbit, Daehyun examines the shirt. Yongguk wouldn't wear this kind of clothes... And it is really too small for him. Daehyun frowns to himself before a some sort of a realisation brightens up in between his brows.

 

Was it just an excuse to give him this?

 

No, no, no. Daehyun shakes the thought away furiously. You're thinking too much, you idiot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stuff to move. Yongguk sure has a lot of stuff to move.

 

"Fangifts, stupid. Quit staring and move them."

 

"O-okay."

 

Daehyun stares at the boxes stacked up tightly against one another in the storeroom. Yongguk even has a storeroom just to put these stuff?!

 

"I need you to move all these back home. Have my car keys."

 

 

 

Daehyun drives himself back to Yongguk's house, the two-storey building a huge relief as it comes into his sight. He pulls into the parking space and releases a long-held breathe. It's been a gruesome drive throughout because Yongguk's car is expensive and there's no guarantee to what Daehyun's much unused driving skills might cause.

 

Now, the many boxes of fangifts.

 

Daehyun scoffs as he stares at the packages. Stupid Yongguk, it's unfair how some jerks are so popular. He lifts one box and gasps at the weight of it. What do they give him? Gold?

 

He marches to the door, struggles with keeping the box between his torso and the door while tugging the keys out of his pocket-- why didnt he take it out before he lifted the box? After painful groans and curses, the door slams against the wall loudly as he almost stumbles his way onto the marble floor, finally.

 

He drops the box, couldn't care less about what's inside, and huffs for air. That is when he meets eye with a stranger in the house. 

 

He jumps, surprised, and then embarrassed as the stranger scrutinises him like she's seen all the clumsiness he's performed throughout. He was about to croak out some words, awkward and timid, until the stranger interrupted his little turmoil.

 

"Where is Yongguk?"

 

Daehyun suddenly found a switch in his mind. Right, that's her. Her dark eyes train against his darting ones as they wait for an answer. The aura she's letting out is similar to Yongguk's, her poise, everything tells Daehyun they're the same kind of people who are naturally, just somehow, above the rest. 

 

"He's in the company." Daehyun's words came out calmer than he expected. He gives himself a thumbs up mentally.

 

Jieun stands up from the couch, the soft scoff still audible when she turns around.

 

"You are his assistant?" She says, turning back to him, more friendly with a smile on her lips.

 

"Y-yes. I'm just going to move some stuff inside here..."

 

Jieun disappears when Daehyun comes back into the house with the second box in his arms. She emerges with a glass of water when Daehyun's done, a amiable smile on her face asking Daehyun to sit down on the couch.

 

Daehyun settles down nervously, as if the first time he's been here.

 

He holds up the cup of water between two hands and sips shyly as Jieun looks at him. Just then, another car comes into Daehyun's periphery through the long glass wall in the living room. He almost chokes into the glass of water because that can only be Yongguk. He panics for the other man, taking a really long pause in his sip and then the inevitable happens.

 

"Oi." Yongguk announces his arrival with an impatient grunt, eyes trained on his phone busy until he looks up to find his tongue tied.

 

"Here comes the devil." Daehyun catches the words under Jieun's breathe and looks away nervously.

 

"Jieun." He states, standing still with a slight frown on his face.

 

There's a long pause, a pause that feels like an eternity. Daehyun sets the glass down on the table, making a clink that sounds awkwardly loud. He's desperate to excuse himself and get out of this situation. He's sticking out like a sore thumb, an intruder. He excuses himself and almost dashes to the door. He goes into Yongguk's car, his heart racing. 

 

Jieun stands up from the couch, a tension binding the two people inside the house, like a silent play Daehyun is watching through the unconcealing glass wall. He turns away, and sighs for Yongguk.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All she ever hoped for him to do was for him to give more time to her. More time and attention to her than for the music he pursues.

 

"I'm returning you the key."

 

She sets the key on the table, the clang of the metal as loud as the breaking inside his chest. His eyes dart away in hurt and she forces herself to be stoic. 

 

"Jieun." says Yongguk, but he found no other words in his empty mind.

 

"That's the last of everything." She says and Yongguk knows that the two of them has got no more excuses to see one another. The key to their house is everything that could've meant for the two of them and she's returned it.

 

Jieun, he hoped to say, to make her stay, but his heart can no longer gather enough of the courage he's already lost. He crumbles when she shuts the door. He sinks into the couch, and goes through the same heartbreak for the umpteenth time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Jieun-ah, Jieun, that's it. It's over. He'll never come back for you!"

 

She drives away, tears blurring her eyes as she chides herself for returning the last of her hopes, their hopes. She had kept the pieces of them, bit by bit, and then she'd returned them bit by bit, only to wish that it could wake him up. Apparently not, Yongguk did not move nor budge. He's still standing there, as stoic as a rock.

 

She couldn't even hope for him to just say something like, "Jieun, don't go."

 

It was all that it would take for her to stay that moment. Maybe she's still not as important in his life.

 

Such a stupid man, why did she fall for him? 

 

She wipes her eyes furiously only to find herself bawling her heart out in the middle of the street, driving nowhere. Now who's the fool?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Daehyun pushes the door open sheepishly when Yongguk's been slumped in the couch for too long. 

 

"Y-yongguk?"

 

The man doesn't lift his arm from his eyes but says, "Let's grab a drink."

 

Daehyun kept the man in the house, for fear of Yongguk losing his mind out in public. It would be horrible if the paparazzis caught up or even worse if he beats someone up. Sigh, he'll be the only one Yongguk can beat up if it happens here in the house. That's still better than the first scenario. 

 

Yongguk started out steady, but when the alcohol got to him, it was all binge-drinking and bottles after bottles unendingly. The man doesn't say a single word but his brows crease with the burn of the alcohol. It hurts even to look. Daehyun tries to stop him but Yongguk only pushes him away and carries on.

 

"You're going to kill yourself!"

 

"Let me die then! Jieun doesn't even want me anymore! I'm a failure! . I can't... I can't even make her stay..."

 

Daehyun sighs as the man stops and slumps to the table. 

 

"Why didn't you tell her to stay? She still loves you! She was crying her way out!" says Daehyun as he stares at Yongguk who scoffs at him.

 

"I couldn't do it." Yongguk turns the bottle in his hand, the smile on his lips so sad it makes Daehyun upset. "How could I tell her to stay with a man that doesn't love her enough?"

 

Now Daehyun's the one to scoff. "You're making me confused. Now you say you don't love her enough? I don't get it!"

 

"You won't understand. I don't know how to love her. I only... hurt Jieun. Every time. I'm a selfish bastard. I'm stupid. I never get it..."

 

"Why is it so hard?! You love her and she loves you! Just go tell her you love her and you two will be together again!" Daehyun grabs Yongguk by the sleeves and shakes the man.

 

"You won't understand the pain of hurting the person you love!" yells Yongguk suddenly. Daehyun stares at him in shock.

 

"Again and again, every time she's with me, she's not happy. Yes, I love her. But, I don't want to see her get hurt again. It's too hurtful for her to keep on beside me."

 

"Then don't hurt her." Daehyun continues, stubborn.

 

Yongguk turns to look at the boy. "I can't. I tried. I don't know how. That's why, I let her go."

 

The look in Yongguk's eyes made Daehyun's chest sink.

 

 

 

 

"Yah, yah, yah, look at you. I hope you die from a massive hangover tomorrow!" Daehyun chides furiously, panting, having carried Yongguk into his bedroom on the second level by himself. Yongguk's brows are creased in a sad furrow and Daehyun couldn't keep on the scolding.

 

He pulls the blanket over the man and shuts off the lights. He places a wet towel on top of Yongguk's forehead, sighing.

 

"I know, you love her so much. But I really do not get it. If you really love her, then get her back. Why would you even waste your time making up a hoax wedding? Do you care so much about your face? I see I see, you really are a selfish man. Idiot."

 

Daehyun kneels beside the bed, watching Yongguk. He doesn't know whether to be angry or sad with this face. Or should he be laughing at this joke?

 

"Everybody has dreams. You have a big dream, to make music. But you sacrificed Jieun for it. I don't know if you're successful or not, but you sure aren't happy. You're an ." Daehyun points accusingly at Yongguk's sleeping face. 

 

"But, if I were Jieun. Maybe, I wouldn't mind you putting your dreams before me."

 

Daehyun sighs against Yongguk's bed, too overcame by melancholy to be confused by his own words.