$ Dongsaeng

Half A Million Wedding (Maybe Marriage too)

Daehyun wakes up all numb and rigid after sleeping bent on the couch. He has little time to grumble about back pains when Yongguk hurries him out to buy new clothes, talking about protecting his own underwear from a certain thieving brat.

But all Yongguk wants is to get Daehyun clothes after seeing Daehyun's tattered wallet. It's a breach of privacy but no harm's been done since Daehyun was blissfully unaware being asleep. He expected a relatively new wallet with all the things youngsters usually have inside, neoprints, arcade cards and cafe cards for revisits but there's nothing like that inside. All Daehyun has is a bare minimum, his identification cards (which Yongguk examined with much mirth, especially at the photograph), a few small notes, spare change and an old, almost sallow, photograph. In that photograph, Yongguk saw a boy and his brother posing in front of their parents at a place where there are no tall buildings and noisy roads. That made Yongguk turn to look at Daehyun's face. Country kid.

Yongguk didn't like Daehyun actually. He never liked boisterous young people like Daehyun. Ever since the first day Daehyun appeared, greeting as his personal assistant, Yongguk had already decided to not keep him by his side or make him a convenient right hand man because he wouldn't trust somebody that looks like Daehyun. As like the usual youths Yongguk sees around town, Daehyun appears to be the type of young, ambition lacking soul that just wants to earn simple money without much accomplishment in life. Yongguk doesn't like seeing this pattern of life. It's just a waste of time.

But to his surprise, Daehyun's lasted longer than any other assistant he's hired, bearing with his odd moods and ragey moments. tending to his every order, ridiculous or not but he just can't find that one chore that would tick Daehyun off. That however, never stopped Yongguk from thinking that Daehyun's an unintelligent kid who knows nothing about what he wants in life.

And so why is he doing this now anyway? Picking out clothes for this useless kid?

Yongguk don't know. Maybe he's having a condition. He's grown attached to this object he's recently gave a name to and it's called Daehyun.

"Ahjussi... Let's go, this place is expensive..."

"Weren't you complaining that I'm too rich and too stingy?" Yongguk says as he picks out a black hoodie, Daehyun catching up after him between the rows of displayed apparel.

"Being rich doesn't mean you have to be wasteful! We're just getting temporary clothes for the few days we're here!" Daehyun's eyes dart around the store, wary of the menacing price tags.

"You can still wear them after we go back."

"You're not understanding me..."

"This looks cool, doesn't it?" Yongguk picks out a grey hoodie he thinks should fit Daehyun's scrawny figure. "Try it on."

"Ahjussi... You're being weird..." Daehyun doesn't accept the hoodie Yongguk holds out to him. "You're not that nice to me."

Yongguk himself is stunned by Daehyun's innocent words and he smiles, agreeing. "Yea, it's just this once because I owe you a favour. I just don't want you going out and spilling all the secrets about me."

"Alright..." Daehyun grabs the clothes from Yongguk, mumbling, "But I wouldn't tell on you anyway."

Yongguk lets out the sigh he's been holding in when Daehyun's too busy tugging the hoodie over himself.

"Wow, it's really comfy." Daehyun is in awe at the cotton hoodie, seemingly smittened with it already.

"Really? Then let's get this." Yongguk says, heading to the counter already. They're not going to stay on one spot for the whole day.

"Ahjussi... Are you sure? This is not cheap."

"I'm filthy rich anyway."

Daehyun chuckles behind him and Yongguk smiles. He doesn't know what's gotten into him. He's probably leeching as much of the sunshine Daehyun's providing to preoccupy his soul left battered by Jieun. That's not right, he knows.

"Ahjussi," Daehyun says as he follows Yongguk through the throng of people in the street. "When I said you were stingy, I was wrong. You're actually a really nice person."

Yongguk turns to see that bright grin on Daehyun's face and it's hard to stay uninfected by that contagious happiness. He smiles too but turns away to hide it from Daehyun's bright eyes. Daehyun seems intent on telling him how much of a good person he is as he rattles on, "Thanks for buying this for me, this is the most expensive clothing I've ever own actually... And the restaurant food... the 780 bucks... the ice cream... I never would've imagined ahjussi would be the type to buy so many kids ice cream!"

"Yah, are you praising me or insulting me?" Yongguk grumbles and Daehyun chuckles beside him.

They carry on searching for Daehyun's clothes but Daehyun seems to get more uninterested by the moment, dodging away from expensive price tags and distracting Yongguk away from buying things. Yongguk realises how he's trying to stop himself from spending. Daehyun continues to topple the stereotype Yongguk's strapped over him over the past year and Yongguk just can't stop the bubbling feelings inside him. Daehyun's probably like a dongsaeng, a younger boy Yongguk wants to take care of because he deserves it. Yongguk just hopes Daehyun isn't anything else, and the pain from Jieun returns to stab him subtly.

"Ahjussi, let's go eat. I don't like all these clothes."

"Alright." Yongguk complies, deciding to save Daehyun the effort from pretending for him.

Dongsaeng. Yea, dongsaeng, that's Daehyun.