$ Going Crazy

Half A Million Wedding (Maybe Marriage too)

When Daehyun sneezes on the way back to the hotel, Yongguk orders him to put on the new hoodie. Daehyun complies and tugs it on carefully, treating it with so much meticulousness, Yongguk couldn't stand the sight anymore as he scoffs and turns away. Daehyun whines, feeling a little embarrassed but Yongguk dismisses it with a smile.

"Ahjussi, you should smile more. You don't look scary like that." Daehyun blurts out unknowingly before looking away, nervousness between his wringing hands as Yongguk ponders at his comment.

"Whatever." Yongguk throws it off easily as usual and Daehyun heaves a sigh of relief secretly.

His affection is probably starting to show, Jung Daehyun, don't be an embarrassment!

They return to the hotel and Yongguk's phone greets them at the sidetable with a loud buzz.

Yongguk rushes over and picks up his phone, seeing that it's Himchan on the line. 

"Ah wae, Himchan." It's strange that Himchan would call during a time like this, unless there's something urgent.

"Yongguk-ah! There's something serious here..." Yongguk catches onto the sound of Himchan scratching the back of his head. "The reporters... they found Jieun's number and has been harrassing him. She called me saying she's really 'fed up' about it but she didn't answer any of them. But I'm afraid she might blow your cover like this... You might want to come back soon? Aye, but coming back early would give them more things to write about..."

"Aniya, I'll come back early, it's been a few days already anyway. They don't know my schedule anyway. I'll come back immediately."

"Mianhe Yongguk, you shoud be resting longer." Himchan apologises over the phone and Yongguk gives a small smile.

"Gwenchana. At least you tell me before things could get out of control. Thanks Chan. I'll see you soon."

"Bye. Take care of yourself..."

Yongguk hangs up the phone and lets out a huge sigh before lying down on the bed, staring at the ceiling above him, his mind a whirl.

"What happened?" Daehyun asks timidly, standing beside the bed. He's always afraid of bad news.

"Nothing. We need to go back immediately. The reporters are harrassing... Jieun." Yongguk swallows after pronouncing the name he's so afraid of right now. Jieun ah, Jieun. And he thought he was healed with the days but it seems, a broken heart takes more time than days.

"When are we going? Shoud I pack up now?" Daehyun queries, obviously a little disconcerted.

"I don't know. I need to check the flights first. We'll leave tomorrow. No hurry." Yongguk says and Daehyun answers simply and settles down on the floor, already arranging Yongguk's luggage.

"Yah, didn't you quit already?" Yongguk jokes.

Daehyun looks up and smiles at him, saying, "Just returning the favor of the expensive hoodie."

Yongguk seems pleased with the answer as he lies back down on the bed, his mind getting into tangles at the ticking timebomb waiting for him at home.

 

 

 

Yongguk never expected things to be easy when he gets home but to deal with it, is another issue. After such a long time, Jieun appears in front of him, a real person unlike the missing part of him that seemed like a lucid dream when he was still having nightmares.

"Please stop them. They are disrupting my normal life." Jieun states firmly at the opposite couch, sitting in the middle of the living room that used to be theirs but now it's just a large empty space left for Yongguk.

"I'm sorry. I'll try." Yongguk offers all that he could promise but knows it's all insufficient. He's already dealing with that much trying to calm his ruffled emotions that seems to surge when he thinks about this house and the two of them... the irony they are sitting within.

"Don't try. Do it. You've even got someone to play my role at the wedding." Yongguk his lips nervously as Jieun continues, "Now that I'm out of your life, it's your own business how you want to carrying on playing it. You can get an actor or whatever, just keep me out of it."

"I know. I'll try and do it." Yongguk exhales, trying not to look at her face as he fights the burns inside. "I'm sorry."

As usual, he ends off with a weak apology. Nothing to help himself and nothing to make her feel better.

She stands up to leave, familiar enough with every nook and corner of the house and it pains him more that the only way she chooses is to leave.

"God..." Yongguk sighs into his palms when Jieun's left. This is not working well. And he doesn't know how to carry on.

 

 

"Just call the reporters and get an actor to play Jieun. You can get a divorce after that. Just pretend to be married for a while." Himchan's brows are creased in serious consideration as he leans over the coffee table to Yongguk who is rubbing his fingers over his forehead tiredly, swirling his coffee that can do little to give him more energy.

"I don't know, Himchan. I'm just... tired."

"I know, Yongguk... But you have to save yourself first because you get tired. You know she's not going to help you."

That hurts, thinks Yongguk but Himchan's right. And he definitely right when he cuts you with his words. Himchan is straightforward whenever he's correct.

Daehyun comes in at the right time, dissolving the tensed atmosphere with his presence when he arrives with Yongguk's new clothes for the next shoot.

"Annyeonghaseyo." He greets Himchan politely before showing Yongguk the clothes. "I just got it."

"Okay. Thanks." Yongguk replies with a lack of interest and Himchan seems more up for a conversation with Daehyun.

"Daehyun-ah, thanks for helping Yongguk out. It means a lot."

"Oh it's nothing... Besides, I get paid for it." Daehyun almost giggles and Yongguk turns to glare at him subtly.

Himchan seems more amused, "That's great, Yongguk has a lot of money to spare anyway. By the way, Daehyun."

That 'by the way' doesn't sound very well to Yongguk and he sits up, eyeing Himchan's twinkling eyes.

"Do you mind doing us another favour again?"

"What is it?" Daehyun asks as he arranges the clothes at his side.

"Pretend to be Yongguk's wife again?"

"Excuse me?" Yongguk interrupts them. "What are you planning before me again?"

"Look Yongguk, we'll just go with the original cast! And besides, Daehyun would be the last person to betray you, he's practically yours! He's your assistant for so long! I asked around, nobody realises he's a guy at the wedding. They all said Jieun's a really beautiful woman. See! He'll do fine!"

" God damn it, Himchan. It's 'cause of the wedding, nobody's going to go around saying somebody's newly wed wife is ugly! Besides, he's got those awful makeup all over him so it actually disguises him but an interview is going to give him away! You want him to speak with his boyish voice?"

Daehyun sits silently listening to the two debating men, unsure of what he would want.

"We'll just say she's having a cold or something... Or Daehyun can do something about it... Right, Daehyun? Daehyun-ah, you'll help us right?" Himchan pulls out the big guns that he always uses on girls, those stupid eyes and Yongguk is just amazed when Daehyun agrees.

"Okay, I guess but I am not so sure about it..."

"It's okay, Daehyun. You just stay quiet and look pretty, that's enough." Himchan grins, aboely satisfied but Yongguk just gapes.

 

 

 

Back at home, Daehyun hangs up Yongguk's clothes in his closet, noticing the other empty half and shuts the door without making any sign of realising it.

"I'm going home, ahjussi." Daehyun says to Yongguk who's on the computer, probably look at the public's reaction over his wedding. It seems to be troubling the man.

"Yah, come here." Yongguk says and Daehyun walks over to the man. "Stay for a night. I have stuff to tell you."

"What is it?"

"Yah... just... Stay for a bit."

They end up spending the night drinking together after Yongguk's awkward invitation. Daehyun knows Yongguk's just trying to forget about the emptiness of the big house filled with the memories he made with Jieun, so he agrees easily but not without teasing Yongguk so the man wouldn't realise how much Daehyun actually cares.

"When they ask you stuff like how am I at home, you better not say weird things, say more normal stuff, understand?"

"But ahjussi, I'm not even going to speak... If I talk, our cover would be blown." Daehyun grumbles as he chews on dried squid.

"Just in case... I'm seriously going crazy over this..."

"Go to bed, ahjussi... I'm tired too."

"Yah, you think I don't want to sleep?" Yongguk shakes the empty can of beer in his hand. "I just can't. I can't."

"You sleep snoring at the hotel..." Daehyun hands him another can.

"That's 'cause it's the hotel. In this house... No."

"Ahjussi... You're pitiful." Daehyun says but maybe deep underneath he really feels a little pain for Yongguk.

Yongguk scoffs. Yea, he's pretty much. This ing house Jieun left him. He'd rather she bleed him dry than leave him with so many knives to cut himself with. this house. this wedding ring. everything she's left behind... That includes himself too. Maybe he should have screamed at her, blame her for that coldhearted breakup after she promised to marry him. Just what is this, he doesn't understand. Maybe he should have made her see how much he's suffering but as per usual, Jieun. Jieun's never like anything else to him.

"Ahjussi," Daehyun says when he notices how Yongguk's expression darkened. "Ahjussi-yah, don't be like this, you're affecting me too. Let's go somewhere else and sleep then. Let's go to my house!"

Yongguk seems a little reserved about the idea but with Daehyun's persuasion and the idea of sleep without invading nightmares of Jieun's cold abandonment, he mumbles an okay.