Lack of Preparation

For Convenience
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Jiyeon slips past through the door that led to their patisserie with a grin, her eyes scanning the quiet shop. The girls were quietly doing their job, Amber at the side doing the paperwork for her, Dara and Hara assisting the two customers lining up while Luna packs the desserts. She could take a guess that the kitchen was quiet too, with Taecyeon on leave and Wooyoung on a day off, she knew that the kitchen staff were probably meeting for what was going to be happening for the shop in the month to come.

 

It was a slow day. It was exactly how she and Eunjung predicted it to be. And it just happens to be the perfect day to file for their marriage license. They were heading to the municipal registry office today, and she’s anxious.

 

Despite the day being great, she had a few doubts with this set up but that didn’t mean it was enough to stop her from marrying, especially when she had just dodged another blind date set up by her mother earlier in the morning…for breakfast. She wasn’t sure how a date would work when someone just woke up, especially for her, but maybe it was something her mother did just so she can’t escape it when the guy rings her doorbell. Thank goodness her mind was quick not to open the door and had quickly texted Eunjung not to pick her up so her cover won’t be blown. She just had to pretend she already left work that was how ‘easy’ it was.

 

That little stunt her mother pulled off not only dismissed her doubts, it basically propelled her to getting everything done as soon as possible and so they can schedule a marriage. She was supposed to hold off the visit to the municipal registry office, and had avoided signing the application form. But when she saw the man outside the door through the peephole, she jumped in her room and filled up whatever needed to be filled up, kept the documents neatly in an envelope, and immediately confirmed their schedule by texting Eunjung who had already went to the shop.

 

It was definitely better to marry her best friend, even if she actually needed to dig a whole lot of courage to do so, compared to marrying a man who shamelessly knocks on her door at seven in the morning just because her mother told him so. No, thank you, sir, she didn’t need a man like that. And she didn’t need a man from her mother’s already aggressive actions to get her married. The next thing she knows, it’s either she or Eunjung is going to get dragged to the City Hall to be married to a stranger and that’s not what she nor Eunjung would actually want.

 

The time on her watch is 8:52am. And just like the day, it was the perfect time to get in, greeting her staff on the way and head straight to the kitchen.

 

“Okay, that’s good, we’ll just figure this out tomorrow,” She heard Eunjung saying, her best friend’s back facing her as she talked to the only kitchen staff present for which was Krystal, Areum and Suzy. She could see Suzy nearing Eunjung, Eunjung looked like she was about to entertain her and somehow, this amused her. Poor girl didn’t even have a clue…

 

“Eunjung,” Jiyeon calls out before Suzy could even get to talk with a smirk.

 

Eunjung turns with a grin, before dismissing everyone to get their work done.

 

Jiyeon’s grin couldn’t have been any brighter as she sees Suzy’s disappointed expression, the girl walking back to her station quietly at the corner of her eyes. Suzy is actually nice, but if only she and Eunjung weren’t flirting around, she would probably like the girl even more. There was just something about the girls Eunjung flirts with and it was very rare for her to like any of them.

 The last time she liked a girl for Eunjung, Eunjung dumped her for a girl she didn’t like. Though, Eunjung wasn’t quite aware she liked a girl for her back then. Then again, she’s marrying her soon, now is a different story. It’s only right to dislike everyone who comes close.

 

She didn’t feel that possessive, but seeing as Eunjung was more than a chick magnet than any her exes, her guard had to be put up…even if she was just doing it for the preservation of their marriage or their soon-to-be marriage to be more specific.

 

“You ready to go?” She asks quickly, turning on her heels to walk out the door before her best friend could even answer. “We have to get groceries for me later too.”

 

“Yeah, let’s go,” Eunjung says, following closely behind Jiyeon.

 

Bidding their staff goodbye, Eunjung leads Jiyeon into the car like a gentleman would much to Jiyeon’s surprise. Eunjung chuckles, gesturing for her best friend to get it but Jiyeon couldn’t help but stare oddly at the open door for her.

 

“Get in,” Eunjung urges.

 

Jiyeon reluctantly gets in anyway, eyeing Eunjung who carefully closes the door before hurrying to the other side of the car. She carefully puts her seatbelt on, eyeing Eunjung who reached the driver’s seat. She glances at her best friend warily, watching as she puts her seatbelt on, to her starting the engine and to her quietly driving.

 

“That was weird,” Jiyeon mumbles turning to look at the view of the shop as Eunjung drives away.

 

“What’s weird?”

 

“You…opening the door,” Jiyeon stiffly says with a sigh.

 

Eunjung rolls her eyes. “You better get used to it.”

 

“How can I? It’s strange,” Jiyeon admits with a frown. “I feel like you’re being romantic all of a sudden.”

 

Eunjung laughs at the admission, dismissing it right away as she says “It can’t be helped.”

 

“Well then tell me honestly though, have you ever had feelings for me?” Jiyeon asks bluntly, accusing gaze towards her best friend who almost choked in her laughter.

 

Eunjung glances at Jiyeon like she had grown two horns on her head. “Where the heck would you get that idea?”

 

“I don’t know. I think I’m just a bit creeped out with you opening doors for me,” Jiyeon dramatically shivers, earning herself a playful shove on her shoulders.

 

“I shall be honest and say, you shouldn’t let that get into your head missy,” Eunjung chuckles. “I never really had romantic feelings for you before if you’re really curious. But you really need to get used to me treating you like this.”

 

“Why? Do you treat your girlfriends like this too?” Jiyeon asks in curiosity.

 

“Not all of them, but you’re my fiancée now,” Eunjung says with a grin. “I’ll treat you even more special.”

 

Jiyeon glances at Eunjung, observing her best friend oddly, cringing silently much to Eunjung’s amusement. This is really something she had to get used to.

 

“How about you, did you have any romantic feelings for me before?” Eunjung just had to poor overwhelmed best friend who in turn gives her a punch on her shoulder. “Ow! Hey, I was just asking. Wait…you had didn’t you?! Oh my God! You did!”

 

Eunjung laughs out loud glancing at her frowning best friend every once in a while.

 

“When we were five!” Jiyeon defends, huffing at her laughing best friend. “If anyone could even consider that ‘romantic’ feelings!”

 

“Oooh, so you’re marrying your childhood crush huh?” Eunjung teases even more, making Jiyeon throw another punch at her. “Little Jiyeonnie had a crush on me!”

 

“Shut up!”

 

“Oh c’mon, aren’t I as charming as when I was five?” Eunjung confidently asks.

 

“No, my feelings died down when I realized you’re actually very clueless and stupid so it never really reached beyond the five-year old Jiyeonnie’s heart,” Jiyeon says casually.

 

“Hey! Mind you, you’re marrying this stupid person,” Eunjung haughtily replies.

 

“That’s actually one of the down sides to marrying you,” Jiyeon teases earning more exclamations from her best friend.

 

“Hey! I may not be the genius you’re craving for but then again, I’m the one you just can’t live without,” Eunjung confidently answers, cracking Jiyeon up.

 

As the laughter died down though, the more that the two realized that Eunjung’s statement was probably most true, especially the moment they realized that they were filing for a marriage license already as they neared the municipal registry office.

 

Jiyeon had accidentally gulped too loudly as she stared at the building, her heart racing like a horse on caffeine. Eunjung had heard, and but she couldn’t do anything as she parked because knowing they’d really get married once they get out of this very building is unnerving enough to make her speechless.

 

She nervously opens the door for Jiyeon again, earning her weird looks from her freaked out best friend. But she couldn’t even make eye contact as she turns to the building with wide eyes. And as if they had spoken, Jiyeon stands beside her, staring at the building too.

 

“Jiyeonnie,” Eunjung calls out.

 

Jiyeon eagerly listens with a hum, not even taking her eyes off the door.

 

“The moment we step through the door, there’s no going back,” Eunjung says anxiously, almost reluctant in Jiyeon ears that the younger one had to turn towards her to ask.

 

“Are you unsure?”

 

Eunjung gulps with a reluctant shake of her head. “No…”

 

“Are you sure?” Jiyeon rephrases but only got a firm nod.

 

“You?” Eunjung whispers.

 

“I’m scared,” Jiyeon whispers, more to herself than Eunjung but she was glad Eunjung had kept a keen ear.

 

And Eunjung, who was quite taken aback by the confession, stayed silent, waiting for Jiyeon to speak.

 

“I’m scared how we’d turn out. I’m scared about screwing up. I’m scared I won’t meet your expectations,” Jiyeon starts as the words just flew out. “I’m scared that we’d change for the worst. I’m scared what our friends and family would think. I’m even scared how they’d react. I’m scared to tell them. I’m scared about—”

 

“Jiyeonnie,” Eunjung fondly calls out, successfully cutting Jiyeon from her scared rambling as she carefully pulls Jiyeon so she could face her once more.

 

It was as if Jiyeon was snapped out of her thoughts as Eunjung smiles her comforting stupid grin, her hands taking hers. Their hands intertwined and even in the silent communication in their eyes, Jiyeon felt a wave of calm overwhelm the fears in an instant.

 

“It doesn’t matter,” Eunjung whispers with a smile. “We’re both scared. We’re both insane for even doing this. We both aren’t sure where this would lead us and we’re really stupid for putting everything on the line. But it doesn’t matter, really, because you’re with me along the way and I’m certainly with you. We’re together. We’ve always been.”

 

As if Eunjung couldn’t even be more overwhelming, all of a sudden, she reaches into her pocket and comes out a blue box. It was a little bit bigger than just any of the box she’d known, because years ago Jiyeon had given the same to her ex fiancée. Only this time, it was her being given.

 

Jiyeon turns to her best friend, wide eyes and a gasp as Eunjung grins opening the box to reveal two beautiful and sparkling rings. “Where did you…” Jiyeon gasps once more.

 

And even if Jiyeon couldn’t manage to perform a decent sentence, Eunjung presents a ring to her, keeping the other in the box as she says, “Take this ring, as a sign of my love and commitment as I choose you, Park Jiyeon, to be my wedded wife from today onwards and always, until forever.”

 

Jiyeon had never been surer in her since the moment they decided to become instant spouses because Eunjung is right, they’re together. They’ve always been. And even before, she had chosen Eunjung too, from yesterday, today, until forever.

 

 

 

 

Jiyeon pushes her door open leaving her shoes and shrugs her coat off and leaving it on the floor. Eunjung listlessly pushes through the door holding several bags in her arm, leaving her shoes beside Jiyeon’s and struggles to pick up Jiyeon’s coat off the floor while making sure not one bag full of Jiyeon’s groceries fall off because she wouldn’t want to be the one cleaning up messes after a long day.

 

“Jiyeon, why do you always leave your clothes on the floor? Goodness, I might trip on these whenever I come here,” Eunjung complains, balancing the groceries while hanging the coat.

 

Jiyeon doesn’t reply as Eunjung shuffles around the apartment, carefully kicking things out of the way as she ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter