Agreement

For Convenience
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

The flowers were in full bloom. The sky had been blue enough to make people smile. The sun had shined in all its majesty and is now starting to set for a beautiful goodbye. Cheers of people could be heard from a small garden where recorded wedding bells chimes for the celebration of a newlywed couple. It had been a perfect day for a wedding indeed as people proceeded to the reception where a feast was prepared and a seven tier cake was displayed to show its magnificence.

 

Every one stood in awe as obviously the expenses could have been staggering to pull up a reception like it. The garden had at least several different flowers of various colors imported from probably the other side of the world and expensive champagne were served around the garden where a dance floor was set in the middle and tables surrounded.

 

Everything about it just looked magical.

 

The ceremony remained intimate, tearful, and sometimes cringe-worthy because of the couple’s seemingly undying love for each other professing it among the people they loved and cherished, just as the sun set and the waves crashed from below the cliff of the peak where the seemingly magical garden stood. And it was here where the couple had met, one being a known photographer and the other having hired the said photographer as she is an editor of a famous magazine. And it was just the perfect place to hold the couple’s wedding.

 

So as the understanding crowd proceeded to party after ceremonies ended, two friends sat together at their table, looking on as two brides clad in intricately designed white dresses said messages during the reception with wide smiles on their faces as the crowd boomed in another round applause. One of the two friends, who recently cut her hair shorter and dyed it jet black for the occasion, couldn’t care less as she pouted at the sight of the couple were now feeding each other cake. The other one, a short haired brunette could only sigh looking bored, playing with the napkin on the table, her feet itching to get away and do something.

 

They really didn’t have the effort to hide their distaste in weddings, especially when it was their friends’ wedding. Heck, they were genuinely happy for the celebration with a few streaks of tears on their faces earlier on but somehow they can only look on in envy as the time passed. Knowingly feeling left out, with the other people hanging on to their partners around them due to the over-flowing romantic aura the place held and to the fact that it was becoming a chilly night.

 

It was another way for fate to play a mocking joke on them both and it wasn’t funny. Definitely wasn’t funny anymore. Even the weather was mocking along!

 

“Seriously, how the hell did we end up being the only people who aren’t married? I honestly didn’t think that whatever we said four years ago about being alone together would come very much true,” Eunjung grumbles with a sigh, her gaze on the people making a fuss about the wedding cake she created with her team hours ago.

 

The weight of the stress of having to create such a cake, especially for their best friend, now crashing down on her, but the feeling of happiness and relief was slowly sinking in as every person in the said reception took turns taking pictures of the amazing details and artwork she poured on the creation.  Yet, the issue of not having a wife is still playing her mind with the other couples started to feeding off the cake. Oh, how it irked her that she wanted to rub it all on their faces.

 

Eunjung wasn’t quite vocal with her dreams of marriage. But once upon a time when she had found the one, she did plan to marry and settle down even though the plan was foiled in the end. It had always been one of her dreams, if she could only admit. And sitting there and watching her best friend enjoying her partner in their wedding dresses made her envision herself in their shoes. The growing envy was gnawing at every cell of her being now, subtly had long disappeared.  

 

Jiyeon flips her jet black hair haughtily as she listened, looking as the frenzy around the wedding cake just didn’t seem to stop, a proud smile plays her lips before a frown took over.

 

“I swear I can feel that I being an old maid would really happen. I can imagine growing old, wrinkly, and no children with my mom’s voice in my head cursing me for not fulfilling my part for her ‘Lee Family’ name,” Jiyeon’s voice had panic laced all over it as she turned to her other single friend whose expression was downright homicidal staring at the lovey-dovey couples.

 

“We’re pathetic,” The brunette murmured as she felt a hand pat her head, snapping her out of the intents of a killing spree and frowned, making the other girl pout.

 

“Why are you pouting like that, Jiyeon? And will you please stop being so gloomy, Eunjung? Seriously, you two, I don’t really understand why you hate weddings when both of you make cakes and pastries for a living yet you both look so bitter,” a friend of the sulking duo, Qri, approached them at their assigned table with a champagne in hand and a few of their friends in tow to take their seats next to them after celebrating with the married couple and mingling with a few people present.

 

“We don’t hate weddings,” Eunjung started, rolling her eyes before looking at the cake she had stressed over for the past few days.

 

“We just can’t help thinking how unfortunate we are that we’re both the last of our group to get married,” Jiyeon continued, sighing as she leaned closer to her miserable friend, her elbow on the table and her hand supporting her chin as she looked towards  the cake in wonder too.

 

One of their friends, Boram, who was munching happily on the food, started laughing at her friends’ misfortunes received glares from the two until her wife Soyeon slaps her arm. “Hon, I don’t think it is right to mess with them. They’re both stressed; especially Eunjung, and clearly, they might murder you. I suggest you stop now.”

 

Offended by Boram’s cackling, Jiyeon and Eunjung tried hard to move their glare away from the smaller girl and was deemed successful as the newlywed couple skipped their way towards them with their radiant smiles that made the two miserable singles scowl.

 

“Is that a way to treat us Ham Eunjung and Park Jiyeon?” The smaller bride laughed as the two rolled their eyes, their other friends smiling cheekily at the fate of the two singles.

 

“I told the waiter to bring you two a bottle of champagne so you can enjoy yourselves, at least,” The taller bride said as she patted two of her best friends on the head like a puppy.

 

“Hyomin-ah! Didn’t we agree that I can at least marry first? Why did you get married before I did?” Eunjung desperately asked, faking a cry as she held onto Hyomin’s hand while the other miserable single pouted again.

 

“We were young when we made that promise Eunjung! I didn’t know Sunny would come along,” Hyomin turned to her wife with a loving gaze, making the other blush and giggle. “Well, maybe we invited some singles here, right Sunny? Maybe we could introduce Eunjung and Jiyeon to some guys or girls…”

 

“Which part of lesbian don’t you understand?” Eunjung voiced out in irritation before Hyomin reached out and knocked on her head. “And look at Jiyeon! She never broke the promise!”

 

“You forced her to make the promise and I don’t think she’s complying because she wants to! And obviously Einstein, I was referring to the only biual person in this group to be considerate, that’s why I said guy,” Hyomin says with a chuckle, patting Eunjung on the shoulder.

 

“I don’t feel like dating anymore, I give up. I’m going to get drunk,” Jiyeon muttered as she gulped down the contents of Soyeon’s champagne. “And yes, let’s not remind each other of how Eunjung forced us to make the promise because I’m regretting it right now. I feel like it jinxed my future.”

 

Eunjung rolled her eyes, playfully poking on Jiyeon’s shoulder and took the drink that Jiyeon took from someone and drank it in a gulp. 

 

“Hey! That was mine.” Another exclamation came again as another glass disappeared, this time the suspect is a scowling Jiyeon.

 

“Well, it’s mine now,” Jiyeon hisses.

 

“Anyway, I’ll go look for someone you can hook up with…” Hyomin says cheerfully.

 

“I don’t think there’s anyone who isn’t married or dating here, babe,” Sunny murmured as she looked for prospects before shooting apologetic looks towards the duo again. The two singles groaned as they both gulped down their friends’ champagne.

 

“How about Joon?”

 

“He’s getting married to Hyuna, remember?” Hwayoung laughed out as Jiyeon harshly grabbed the bottle from the waiter before handing it to Eunjung, for which then the older girl poured for both of them.

 

“Hyuna’s clearly dirty dancing on him now,” Hyomin scandalously whispers, shooting an amused gaze towards the couple on the dance floor.

 

“Then Tiffany maybe,” Sunny tries again.

 

Boram looks at everyone in confusion. “Wait, who’s Tiffany?”

 

“She’s the one that sells Hyomin cameras at a cheaper price since she works for Nikon,” Soyeon tells her wife as she knew Sunny’s friends.

 

“You’re going to give my ex-girlfriend, who happens to be your close friend, to my best friend?” Hyomin incredulously asks her wife.

 

“Tiffany’s getting married though,” Qri adds.

 

“How about Taeyeon?” Sunny asks, gesturing towards Taeyeon across the room speaking closely with Tiffany.

 

Boram clueless as she is looks at everyone around the table asking, “And who is she?”

 

“She’s this rich guy’s daughter. They own the brand of bacon you always like to buy at groceries so much,” Soyeon informs.

 

“She’s the one getting married to Tiffany,” Qri says.

 

“How do you know this?” Sunny asks in disbelief. “They’re my friends, even I didn’t know.”

 

“I talked to them.” Qri blankly states, sipping on her glass of champagne like a boss.

 

“Ooh! My friend Yoona might be interested,” Sunny says.

 

“Yoona started dating,” Boram says cheerfully, pointing at Yoona, who was the only person she knew out of Sunny’s friends, from across the dance floor. “I saw her come out of the car earlier before the ceremony started.”

 

Sunny turns to see her friend with a date, groaning.

 

“I think my friend Jessica…”

 

“Nope, Jessica updated her Twitter saying she’s engaged,” Hyomin chatted casually, taking Eunjung’s glass of champagne and taking a sip before returning to her grumbling best friend.

 

Jiyeon scowls at her amused friends, drinking her champagne in one gulp as Eunjung takes the bottle and pours more for her and herself.

 

“I’m sorry guys,” Sunny muttered, patting both of the drunkards’ heads who had kept to themselves as their friends looked for possible dates and future wives. “Since the people we’ve invited are mostly married, old and are taken, I’ll just give this to both of you.”

 

Eunjung and Jiyeon scowled once again as they both received the brides’ bouquets as a sort of consolation. And much to their chagrin, Hyomin laughs at their predicament.

 

“Is this supposed to make us feel better?” Jiyeon asks sarcastically.

 

Hyomin patted her best friends’ heads again, smiling sympathetically at the two. “It’s the least we could do. Although we didn’t toss it, I guess it still works the same.”

 

“Well, thanks anyway, Sunny, Hyomin,” Eunjung murmured, drinking her champagne again.

 

The brides then turned to leave as the DJ called for their attention for the dancing to start. Both Eunjung and Jiyeon took turns rolling their eyes as more of the people went to flock the dance floor.

 

Their friends, namely Soyeon, Boram, Qri and Hwayoung could only look at them in amusement, as if they were the best clowns around that Hwayoung just couldn’t stop choking on food because she kept laughing.

 

“Stupid marriages,” Eunjung murmured as she poured herself another glass.

 

“Eunjung dear, how are your parents? When are you going to get married?” Seriously, not again!

 

Jiyeon choked on her drink as an older woman came up to the group cheerfully, bringing two more champagne bottles to place on the table. Boram and Hwayoung had to hold their laughter as the woman then proceeds to greet them with ‘Hi’s’ and ‘Hello’s’.

 

Eunjung though had to hold her grimace as Hyomin’s mother came up to her and gave her a hug, the rest of her friends on the table trying to contain their snickers as the older woman gave Eunjung a kiss on her cheek, leaving a mark.

 

Eunjung faked a smile, saying, “They’re doing good Mrs. Park. Hyomin invited them but they already had tickets for a cruise to the Caribbean they bought six months ago. They said sorry they couldn’t make it.”

 

“Yes, your mother called me. But your mother, Jiyeon’s mother and I see each other often, I’ll just visit them,” Mrs. Park smiled graciously before turning to greet everyone at the table and gasped, “Oh, Jiyeon, sweetheart! I barely noticed you, you changed your hair. Wow. You look beautiful in shorter hair.” Hyomin’s mother then didn’t forget to give her a hug too, giving her own share of a lipstick-marking kiss, making the rest of the girls on the table snicker even more than they already were.

 

“Thank you, Mrs. Park.”

 

“How’s your father? Is he okay now?”

 

“He’s still in the hospital, though he’s improving from the operation, so it’s good.”

 

“I wish he’ll be discharged soon.”

 

“Me too.”

 

“When are you girls getting married? The gang here is married and there’s only the two of you left,” Mrs. Park questioned, making both girls grimace to face the obvious fact once again.

 

“Uh…” Eunjung frowned at the thought. Surely people just kept rubbing how single she still is!

 

“I don’t think I’m going to marry soon,” Jiyeon answered shamelessly.

 

“Neither do I,” Eunjung seconded with an awkward smile, following along.

 

“Well, there’s still time But don’t take too long. Anyway, how’s business going for you two? I heard it’s really getting popular,” Mrs. Park asked, noticing how awkward the two are.

 

“Well, we have a lot going on. I can promise a better Piece-of-Cake will wow you in months’ time. And it’s mostly because of Eunjung. Her cake recipes are fantastic, the business wouldn’t be this way if it weren’t for her,” Jiyeon smiles, eagerly answering the question, as if she was just waiting to get away from the awkward situation before…for which she truly was.

 

“The business would be nothing if it weren’t for you in the shop, especially the management. You keep it floating, I wouldn’t have done it without you,” Eunjung grinned as she nudged Jiyeon playfully.

 

“Both of you have very good team work, ever since you were ki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter