Father's Love

For Convenience
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

More than once today, she pondered how this day turned out to be a mixture of conflicting emotions. Emotions simply fleeting yet effectively were making her helpless.

 

Only this morning, just as she and Jiyeon decided not to head to the shop to rest and catch up, Jiyeon spent it on her phone. Apparently, something had caught her interest, probably, not that Eunjung cared. No, she didn’t, that’s what she told herself.

 

Jiyeon was just busy with social media as she watched television in silence.

 

So she simply asked, “What are you doing?”

 

But only got a giggle, a wavering gaze and an “hmm?”

 

She didn’t ask too much, but today, she only wanted them to talk. She wanted them to get in touch with each other, wanted to really dig deeper. There was something different about them.

 

No, maybe, it was just her that felt something different about them. It must have been the sudden camping trip with Hyomin, or her interest of friendship with Suzy. There was so much she couldn’t express. There was a level nonchalance in the air, a hint of uncertainty, and the developing cloud of uneasiness in her mind.

 

But, she had thought better of it, changed the channel of television as she turns the other cheek to her wife who had better to do.

 

Jiyeon had the better start of the day, typing furiously, with no less the obvious excitement twinkling in her eyes. I’ll be seeing you soon, make sure to give me a hug when I come around. I miss you, she read over and over again. Her eyes could barely leave the screen and Eunjung was minding her own business. There was that familiar feeling lightheadedness she thought she would never feel again. An incomparable excitement rushed through her veins, as she read her reply, I’ll be seeing you, until then take care.

 

She had tucked away her phone with a smile on her face turning to see Eunjung getting up from her side of the couch. It wasn’t her intention and she hadn’t realized this was the first time that she had sat so far away from her wife.

 

Guilt had almost hit her like a train, her eyes on Eunjung’s retreating back. She was about to get up too, but that moment, Eunjung had turned back, raising her phone pointing towards the front door to tell her she was gonna head out to buy them breakfast while her stomach growled in response for her. They both have forgotten; forgotten the fact they haven’t eaten and forgotten they even had anything in the fridge that would be enough to feed both of them, Jiyeon realized.

 

Jiyeon wanted to come along but even before she could make it off the couch, Eunjung had gone.

 

Eunjung had closed the door with sigh, heading to the stairs. She had walked out the building in haste, getting three blocks away when she realized what she had done. She hadn’t meant to come off pissed, she wasn’t. But how was she to explain the worry that had grown alarming over the past couple of minutes Jiyeon had been on her phone?

 

They were so nonchalant, so uncaring, she felt. It was hard to bear that air when there was someone in her head she couldn’t get off. But it was difficult in itself to just press the call button. She couldn’t even begin to send a text.

 

Though now, now, she thought, it is best that I don’t run away from everything.

 

The click on the phone almost made her jump in fright, she had expected no one would pick up, she dreaded it. She dreaded and yet felt determined. Though as soon as she called out, “Hyo—”

 

The recorded voicemail cheerily greeted her with a, “Hi, it’s me Hyomin. I can’t pick up the phone right now, so just leave a message and I’ll get back to you soon.”

 

The dread was gone, the guilt replaced, the concern had doubled. Eunjung pushed herself, gulping the growing lump in .

 

“Minnie,” she started softly. “I just—what’s up? You just left that day with a note and I haven’t heard from you. I’m sorry I didn’t check up on you either…but… You know that I’m always here for you right? So, yeah, just call me back as soon as you get this.”

 

Her day had plummet down to a sinkhole as she headed to a nearby diner, getting takeout and heading back to see Jiyeon looking worriedly at her.

 

“My dad in the hospital again,” she said.

 

“What,” was the only thing she could utter as Jiyeon rushed to put on her coat and she too, raced to get her bag and car keys. “What happened?”

 

“Apparently he sneaked off to buy a box of chocolates and it just so happened that the piece he picked out the box had nuts in it,” Jiyeon says, running after Eunjung who had already waited for her at the door while she put on her shoes.

 

They had driven to the hospital, hand in hand, and both inexplicably worried.

 

Jiyeon had originally planned to mail her letter for her father, expressing her sincere apologies and her regrets of not having waited for him to recover from his operation because she wanted to get married right then and there. Foolish, she called herself and her excuse. But the letter had been left behind and forgotten as they reached the hospital.

 

Her wife never left her side as they anxiously headed to the private ward her mother said they were currently at. Though, the moment they reached the door, it had finally dawned on them both that they had did this man wrong and this was how they were facing him, just because he had been craving for sweets he wasn’t allowed to eat and had been rushed to the hospital because he was allergic to the nuts in it. How ridiculous it seems that they only braved facing him because he was ill.

 

Eunjung’s hand shook, her fear ill-concealed with her seemingly reassuringly smile. Jiyeon looked at her with twice the amount of anxiousness, her skin pale and her eyes frantic. They needed a moment; just a moment to breathe because they actually forgot to for that brief second. Their eyes had spoken for them, their touch had worked to give the encouragement and with a resolute nod, Jiyeon raised her hand and knocked.

 

The held their breath together just wishing they’d be making it out with a blessing and her father’s forgiveness.

 

How they got in this situation, Eunjung had cursed at it.

 

She started to curse the day, and it was only before lunch!     

 

The door was carefully opened, and out came Sooyeon Park dressed remarkably proper for the day as if she hadn’t rushed her husband to the hospital in the break of dawn. Her hair was well made, her make up on point and her manicure shined.

 

Eunjung almost snort in amusement but that was inappropriate and more so, that thought was immediately flung out the window just knowing that the door had already opened and behind that door laid one of the men she respects and with her stood his daughter whom she married without him knowing.

 

It was just gracious how Mrs. Park had smiled happily as she saw them there, it was definitely a relief on her furiously beating heart. Oh she will be damned if it went on like this but all Eunjung could have done was just it up.

 

“Mom,” Jiyeon gasps, embracing her mother. “I missed you.”

 

“I missed you too,” Mrs. Park says with a chuckle. “I’ glad you two came.” She then turned to Eunjung, and much to their surprise, she took her daughter-in-law in her embrace.

 

“I’m sorry we haven’t kept in touch,” Eunjung mumbles as Sooyeon pulls away.

 

Her mother-in-law simply shakes her head, “It’s alright,” she said and they knew all is well. Not really though…That was until just seconds later she said, “He’s fine though, it was just a scare but with his past condition and all, the doctor just wanted to keep him in. The doctor had to convince him to stay, and he tried to fight his way out. Though I told him you two were coming. Well, let’s just say, he’s been waiting to talk.”

 

“Is that them?” They heard the familiar gruff and loud voice from inside, calling out. He could have been heard along the halls, and Eunjung wanted to muse how Jiyeon’s voice could be as loud as his, only the impatience he had expressed made her stop those nonsense musings.

 

Her head might have simply wanted distraction to prevent malfunction that would inevitably lead to death. But it was her unsteady breath that made her think otherwise, she might actually just suffocate at this rate as Mrs. Park takes both their hands to drag them both inside.

 

There, they saw the impending doom, his form already stubborn and his eyes stern. With arms folded, flexing his well-maintained arms that reminded Eunjung of the hulk, Jihoon Park, or as Roger Park as his peers called him, didn’t show a sign of weakness nor illness. The only downside to his image was the hospital gown and the IV he sported, yet other than that, he absolutely looked like he would crush them—or maybe just her—to pieces.

 

Jiyeon’s steps halted, reluctant. For the first time in her life her father didn’t welcome her with a smile and with arms wide open. For the very first time in her life, she was treated coldly. She knew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter