Adjustments

For Convenience
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Day 3.

 

It was only day three but Eunjung would have felt that she had just gone through a battle within herself. Day 3 meant she had survived three days of awkward and very uncomfortable married life with her beloved best friend. She had survived knowing she was motherless, with a still-missing other best friend, and found herself almost-instant wife…

 

But she never saw this coming at all.

 

Or maybe she did. But she just hoped she and Jiyeon would have a little bit of control because. Well simply put, it was chaos.

 

She never saw the worst case of it all! Not even one! Not the mess on her couch, not the mess in her kitchen, not the mess in her bathroom, not the mess in the bedroom (including the bed!) and the mess…EVERYWHERE.

 

Eunjung groans to herself as she paced around the cluttered living room, her hands itching but not knowing where to start. Whether she start the crumbs on top of her coffee table or the puddle of spilt milk on her carpet…

 

She would have really cried over spilt milk. She would. If only Jiyeon wasn’t being so adorable on the couch as if she had just made the biggest mistake and is now pouting and making puppy eyes at her!

 

Good grief!

 

The moment they arrived from their first date days ago, Jiyeon had immediately jumped on the couch probably one of Jiyeon’s most favorite places on earth (well, more like her favorite in Eunjung’s apartment, for which is now theirs) and started munching on chips while she looked for movies they could watch.

 

Eunjung made sure she sat closely to Jiyeon too, hoping to finally get on the ‘idea’ of being sweet all the time while they watched a funny chick flick. Along the way, she was vividly aware of Jiyeon’s habit of eating chips like a rabbit eating a stick of carrot, the crumbs flying just absolutely everywhere—which included her face because of their close proximity—and onto the  couch.

 

She had thought the better of it and just shrugs it off, even if it meant staring at the disgusting crumbs on her couch for which Jiyeon loves so much.

 

Then Jiyeon literally littered her bathroom with her clothes, just leaving them in the bathroom as she showered without closing the shower curtain, instantly giving Eunjung a puddle and wet clothes to stare at afterwards because really, she was trying to control the urge to mop everything like a lunatic.

 

After she showered, she sees Jiyeon in frenzy trying to eat the whole pint of ice cream she had bought some time ago. It would have been fine really, because ice cream was a treat they both absolutely enjoyed. And in most occasions when Jiyeon raids her fridge before, the ice cream was first to be attacked. It was fine that she joined in too, forgetting about the crumbs on the couch and the wet puddle in the bathroom. But then, Jiyeon went with the reluctantly-feed-best friend-slash-wife approach to be sweet which ended up with them weirdly eyeing each other for a minute and a half.

 

Soon the ice cream was forgotten as Eunjung tried to shrug off the weird atmosphere of getting chills—the bad kind—after experiencing a sweet action from her now-wife.

 

Jiyeon was left to fidget around the kitchen, just loitering around in the midst of their silence not knowing where to go and how to act all of a sudden. And that lead to Jiyeon unconsciously placing the pint of ice cream near the stove from which where Eunjung had just started boiling water over to make them soup for the night and was currently chopping vegetables.

 

Jiyeon thought of helping of course, she always tried to help all the time…but with her lack of skills she had accidently burned her finger a little to the boiling pot, knocked over the already-melted ice cream, and as much as knocking Eunjung away and eventually made the older one slip on the puddle of melted ice cream and flung the knife, nearly stabbing herself with it!

 

In the end they ordered take out. Eunjung didn’t have the heart to get pissed over such clumsy actions because, one, they just got married; two, Jiyeon didn’t mean anything bad about it and she is a natural klutz in the kitchen; three, it was her fault because she should have taken precautions by taking Jiyeon to the living room where she can fidget there all she wants.

 

Jiyeon was spectacular when they work. She’s in control, she’s neat, she’s hardworking, she’s determined, and Eunjung can go and on about her work ethics. But when at home, Jiyeon is absolutely the opposite of it all! Of course, she had been cleaning up for her best friend of years, she knew that. Jiyeon just loves to live cluttered and messy even if she was organized at work while she had lived the role of being very meticulous about cleanliness and had perfected that from her years in the kitchen.

 

It was fine before, when she cleaned up for Jiyeon for years, because it wasn’t her living space being cluttered. But ultimately she may have had made a mistake because now, Jiyeon seems like she isn’t capable of cleaning after herself because of her.

 

And now she’s quietly suffering!

 

The second day was as bad as the first night too!

 

Eunjung was having a bad mood because she had thought it best for her not to sleep in the for the very first time in years. This caused her to have nightmares of drowning and feeling like she was choked. It didn’t help that Jiyeon had managed to squeeze herself against her, not really hugging, just making sure she’d get as much of herself in contact with Eunjung like a cat trying to get itself cuddled.

 

She would have appreciated that unconscious gesture if not for the fact that her nightmare haunted just about the right time. And add that to her still sore from her fall the night earlier. So it was quite inevitable for Eunjung to wake up like she found herself on the wrong side of the bed.

 

They went to work, like nothing ever happened, like nothing changed and all. They were still the best at what they do. They got through the day perfect as always. Only when it was time to go, Eunjung decided to take Jiyeon to a restaurant for dinner which was probably a forty minute drive away.

 

It was totally cool at first. Eunjung’s mood was a little better but she was hungry and tired. Although she could have chosen a closer restaurant but she was really craving for something Arabic. And the best place was forty minutes away. It happened to be Jiyeon’s favorite place for curry too. They went there on several occasions. But when they found themselves on a detour, because of the inevitable road reconstruction, then it started to become chaotic.

 

Jiyeon wanted her to take the highway while she wanted to take the other way using several shortcuts. And then they suddenly went into a very loud argument of who went there most and who drives the most. Then Jiyeon got angry, and then Eunjung got angry. Then it was a whole load of crap from then on. To say the least, they ended up going to a drive-through to get burgers.

 

But anger and burgers were a bad combination.

 

Eunjung raced through the streets due to her anger and had almost skipped a red light, forcing her to step on the breaks but what happened next made her all the more angry. Jiyeon was angrily munching on her burger, holding her milkshake in the other. It was easy to say that the windshield had a bath while the carpets were fed lettuce, tomatoes, extra cheese, and pickles. Then they argued once more all the way home after dropping by to a car wash.

 

Her wife stomped around, for a good ten minutes, while she tried cleaning up due to her anger. They didn’t speak but it was bad not to speak and rage around because when Jiyeon stormed out of the shower to help herself to some cake in the fridge, mad about not finishing her burger, Eunjung had accidentally flung the mop that blocked Jiyeon’s way, making the girl sprawl on the floor and had flung the cake all the way up the ceiling!

 

Eunjung was beyond herself watching the cake drop and onto the newest issue of her favorite magazine where she can ogle at scantily clad women for her viewing pleasure. And viewing pleasure was no more as they cake made sure to stay there.

 

She had dizzily walked herself to the bathroom, got into PJs she rarely uses and just slept. Then it was the third day!

 

Eunjung had gone to work, feeling groggy after another horrifying nightmare of being choked by her clothes, alone. She didn’t mean for their silent war to make Jiyeon upset but apparently her wife was sulking and fell asleep on the couch.

 

Then all war was forgotten after seeing that Jiyeon wasn’t only sulking, but she was apparently on her period and had deemed her officially just in-pain and moody.

 

Leaving her alone was the worst thing she could have done, even if it meant leaving her for only half a day. She should have really stayed at home to take care of the girl because one, Jiyeon burned the freaking oatmeal and had a disastrous fight with the pancake mix out of—probably—her desperation; two, she ate her meals on the bed which meant chips and fruit on the bed leaving several peels of orange and crumbs; three, she had resulted to drinking milk for which now laid to rest on the carpet in the living room the moment Eunjung came through the door and startled her.

 

So now, she had mess, everywhere in their now-shared apartment!

 

It wouldn’t look so bad for a normal person, but she is Eunjung. Eunjung is a neat freak through and through! And the horrors of seeing her kitchen with batter mix, cake on the ceiling, burned oats was just as good as stabbing her in the gut several times. It even hurt seeing her bed full of fruit peels and crumbs, and that included the couch too. It hurt seeing her carpet stained and to think she has to buy the new version of her favorite magazine again! And let’s not forget her car! She had to get her car washed inside!

 

She was just so close, VERY CLOSE to blowing up!

 

If not for her pained wife’s puppy eyes! God those eyes! Stop staring!

 

“Jungie~ I’m sorry~” Jiyeon cutely mumbles and it. Did. Not. Help. At. All.

 

Stop whining please!

 

“Are you mad?” She asks with her innocent looking eyes, just pleading for forgiveness that Eunjung had to look away.

 

It was just unfortunate to see the cake stains on her kitchen ceiling that it made Eunjung turn rigid once more. She squeezed her hand in desperation, her fists turning white as she prayed, just really prayed for control.

 

Relax. Just relax. She didn’t mean to. Heck she’s even on her period! Just calm down, Eunjung!

 

“Jungie~”

 

“Stop it,” Eunjung hisses in annoyance. “Three days, Jiyeon. Just three days!”

 

“I know! I know! But I helped mop the kitchen floor from the ice cream remember? I even helped throw away the magazine,” Jiyeon mumbles with a pout.

 

“I can’t live like this, Ji!” Eunjung’s voice rose a notch higher, panicky gesturing towards the spot of milk on her carpet and her couch full of crumbs. “You know how I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter