Can't Lose You

For Convenience
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The new kitchen construction work was delayed due to some complications that needed to be addressed. Jiyeon couldn’t even begin to think just how unfortunate it was and how costly it would be as she watches the men keep their tools in their tool boxes. There was a problem with the pipes and it would take a day more to fix.

                                                                                                     

A day literally meant they’d have to really rush through the rest of the week, and that meant overtime.

 

Jiyeon wanted to throw a fit but Eunjung wasn’t there.

 

Eunjung could have helped and she wanted Eunjung to be with her right now…if only Hyomin didn’t need her.

 

Jiyeon sighs turning to the staff tiredly. She would have to conduct the emergency meeting by herself before she gets home. She hadn’t heard anything from her wife, but Victoria did say that Hyomin was living in the studio and Eunjung was there.

 

It was best to leave them alone. She had a feeling Eunjung needed to be the one to approach Hyomin first, after all, it was her who went after her in the forest.

 

Despite her not knowing what exactly had happened, she had to put aside what she felt about that—it’s not like it was the first time Eunjung and Hyomin were alone together—and just focus on what was important.

 

There were lots of things that were important and some of those important things to focus on proved to be a great distraction as she buzzes around the shop, supervising the staff up front selling the pastries and cakes, the kitchen staff and the construction works.

 

She had put aside the thought of asking the two what they were keeping from her.

 

Eunjung would take care of that soon, she hoped. It’s not like those two would just kiss and make out.

 

That would have been impossible anyway, Jiyeon thought with such confidence, trying as much to hide the green monster slowly creeping up inside her.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Eunjung opens up her email with a start as she settles on the couch. She was tired from all the working and running around—more like, driving, really—that when her phone beeped to indicate she received an email, she took that opportunity to just sink in the trusty old couch.

 

What she expected was a boring notification from one of her apps, looking forward to simply cleaning up her inbox, but what she saw surprised her with a jolt and she was up and ready to run.

 

“Oh my God,” she gasps.

 

“What is it?”

 

Her only companion looks up from fixing her inflatable mattress with curiosity, eyeing the held back excitement on her best friend.

 

“They invited me. My mentor just sent me a link for the registration.”

 

Hyomin shrugs, turning to fluff the pillows Eunjung lent her, and asks, “Invited you to what?”

 

“To try and join this prestigious competition held in Lyons, France. The competition isn’t going to take place soon but there’s gonna be national selections and he wants me to join it to try my luck. He said he’ll be there to see other pastry cooks and wanted to see what I can do,” Eunjung quickly says, jumping up on the couch as she scrolled on her phone. “I’ve always wanted to join…”

 

Hyomin smiles at her best friend, leaving the inflatable bed to join her on the couch, peering over her shoulder. “Really? When is it?”

 

“In only a months’ time. But that’s not enough time to prepare,” Eunjung mumbles.

 

“I say you should go for it! We’ll be behind you,” Hyomin encourages with a pat on her best friend’s shoulder.

 

“I really want to,” Eunjung says with a wistful smile.

 

“Then go,” Hyomin pushes even more, with a shrug.

 

Eunjung smiles even brighter, turning to her best friend. Hyomin could swear there was a new twinkle in Eunjung’s eyes as they made contact with hers. But soon the smile and the twinkle faded, as her best friend then looks away from her with a sigh.

 

“Do you really think I should?”

 

The edge to Eunjung’s voice had surprised Hyomin a bit. It wasn’t like Eunjung would hesitate to do something she wanted to do, nobody could have stopped her if she wanted but how come it sounded as if Eunjung was that hesitant?

 

That had never been one of Eunjung’s qualities. If she hesitated before it wouldn’t have taken long for her to decide especially when her mind and her gut feelings were already pointing her to the direction she wants.

 

She does whatever she wanted.

 

So what was holding her back?

 

“What do you mean by that?” Hyomin frowns. “If you get selected to compete in France, I’ll head there with a banner and you get me as a photographer. I’m sure you’re gonna win it with the team.”

 

“Let’s not think that far ahead,” Eunjung sighs again. “If I did join I still have to compete nationals with other pastry cooks before I get to see a ‘national team’. I doubt I’d even get it that far.”

 

“I think you can. You just gotta learn how to believe in yourself a bit more Eunjung. For what it’s worth, I believe in you,” Hyomin softly says.

 

Eunjung taps on her phone with finality before she places the device down and looks towards Hyomin, hopeful.

 

“Do you really think I can do this?”                    

 

Despite the obvious change of topic, for which Hyomin thought was a typical Eunjung, she still smiles towards her best friend and ignores her own statement. Whatever is bothering Eunjung, she hopes, she’ll know about it soon.

 

“I believe in you a hundred and ten percent Jungie,” Hyomin says with a genuine smile that could have melt anything in her path. “If you don’t get in, then you could always try the next time. I’m sure you’ll make it.”

 

Eunjung looks down to her phone, glancing as Hyomin smiles at her, grateful for the encouragement with a nod and a grin. “Should I ask Jiyeon about this first though?”

 

Hyomin pauses in thought. “I don’t know. Should you?”

 

“Maybe I should,” Eunjung shrugs and right before Hyomin could begin to talk, the door suddenly opens, startling not only the ones on the couch but also the one by the door.

 

Their eyes connected and somehow, it was just as comforting for Hyomin to find her other best friend there with her. She felt her eyes water at the sight of her best friend and her lips jutting out into a pout. Damn, she really missed those piercing eyes. Why did she have to shoulder everything on her own when she had her best friends with her?

 

And as if Jiyeon too had read her mind, they felt just how long it has been since they have seen each other, how Hyomin just had to walk out on them and how they never really talked it out before. The guilt and the emotions of missing a friend hit Jiyeon like a tidal wave as tears flooded out in an instant as she ran towards her best friend to embrace her.

 

“Minnie,” she sobs. “Where were you, idiot?!”

 

“I was busy,” Hyomin mutters in the embrace as her tears too got the better of her. “I missed you. I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.”

 

And God only knows how truly sorry she is. If only Jiyeon knew how sincere she is with this apology. It means a lot for her to not get it off her chest, especially now with Eunjung there watching them.

 

“Yes you should be sorry, I was worried you were too mad at me…you ignored my calls,” Jiyeon mumbles against her best friend’s shoulder.

 

“I know, I was just too caught up with everything else,” Hyomin says with a sniff.

 

“Don’t do that again,” Jiyeon scolds.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Yeah, now let’s stop saying sorry. You don’t have to say it that much,” Jiyeon playfully says, squeezing Hyomin’s shoulder.

 

Hyomin could only nod, if only Jiyeon knew what she did to her wife her best friend would have thrown a fit and would have probably thrown her out the window.

 

“I know,” Hyomin utters adjusting herself as Jiyeon’s weight presses on her. “God, you’re so fat, has Eunjung fed you too much?”

 

“That’s just ‘cause you’re too thin,” Jiyeon exclaims, slapping Hyomin’s back.

 

Hyomin protests, squeezing her best friend one more time, before moving to wipe her eyes, “I am not! You know I’m y.”

 

“Well, you could pass as a y skeleton,” Jiyeon laughs, wiping her eyes, rolling off her friend and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter