Serendipity

Two Boys, One Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Click, clack.

The footsteps sounded rushed. They marched down, mercilessly crushing leaves; they had a purpose, a mission. Krystal sat on a bench in the middle of the Uni campus struggling to cram in some last minute studying before her dreaded Calculus test. She had a hard time keeping her eyes open, straining them on the blurred words in her textbook. She desperately needed to wake up. " Kill. Me. Now." She muttered and pantomimed a gun shot to her head.

Wendy gently laughed and shook her head in agreement. " Isn't it cruel to give a six chapter test right before Christmas?" That was the sad reality for students in their second year of college. No sleep, little food, a lot of coffee, and a nonexistent social life. Whoever said high school was harder was clearly nuts and completely off their rockers. 

She nudged Krystal chummily and passed her the thermos filled with coffee. " Better start downing that down so you're awake in time for the exam," Krystal pouted and reached for the thermos. Before she took a sip someone tapped her shoulder. She turned around only to find another student fuming underneath her heavy makeup. " You're Jung Krystal, right?" asked the girl. Krystal nodded slowly unsure of where this conversation would go. And she was totally right.

The girl left a red print on her cheek.

She slapped Krystal without a warning and sent the girl tumbling onto the bench. Wendy's eyes widened in shock and she got up in the girl's face. " What the actual ?"

" Serves you right, . Don't even breathe the same air as Minjoon," The dramatic girl turned to leave but an arm caught her sleeve and refused to let go. " I don't like Minjoon, and I never will. Who gave you the right to slap an innocent person?" The girl was speechless when she had not expected Krystal to stand up for herself and fight back. She stuttered as Krystal narrowed her eyes and glared at her. " I don't care with what attitude you decided to come in with, but now, I want you to apologize."

The girl bit the inside of her cheek and spat out a jumbled apology before running away. Krystal rubbed her sore cheek and pouted. " What the hell was that about?" Wendy asked and handed Krystal a cold water bottle to soothe her burning face. She shrugged in response and grinned. " Nothing major. Her slap did wake me up, though," she stuck out her tongue and Wendy scoffed and returned to the textbook of hell. Krystal was experiencing all sorts of things at Seoul Uni- some bad, some good, but it would all blow over once her father returned, if he returned.  

 

Heavy and huge White linen curtains draped themselves against the cozy Beige walls. L took note of the simplicity of the backdrop when glancing around the beautiful exterior of the photo shoot. People rushed by frantically for adjusting every little detail to leave no room for the slightest mistake. " How did I get myself dragged into this?" Kai commented. L's face immediately contorted into a pout when he himself was not enjoying the company of his step-brother. " Both of you need to stop sulking and see this as a wonderful opportunity!" Dongwoo slapped Kai's back and the latter sneered in disgust. Dongwoo moved away quickly, frightened by Kai.

Kai had never bothered to give a chance to L's friends and he wasn't going to start now. I swear, if he acts buddy buddy again, I'll punch him. He rolled his eyes until Baekhyun bounded up beside him with a smile. " Dude, your girlfriend is the one holding everyone up. Go persuade her or something," Kai let out a big sigh and groaned. He was in no mood to convince Sulli that whatever shade of lipstick she had on looked fine on her, or her shoulders didn't look huge in the jacket they'd provided.

He could hear Sulli's shrill voice throwing a tantrum down the hallway and he wanted to turn around and flee but couldn't. It wouldn't be right. He knocked on the door and waited for a few moments before Krystal peeped her head out and grimaced at him. " Oh thank God you're here! Go get your girlfriend in control!" She opened the door wide and pulled him by the arm. Kai could quickly see where the problem lay. He approached a frantic Sulli and took her hand in his. " Um, let's give them some time alone," Naeun asked the several others and they nodded to take their leave.

Just when Krystal was leaving Kai yanked her back by the hand. Sulli sent Krystal a look that sent shivers down her spine and she looked at Kai questioningly.

" What?"

" Stay with me," Krystal narrowed her eyes at him suspiciously but he shrugged. " Jinri, my beautiful Jinri, can you please hurry the up?" What was supposed to be a romantic and sweet talk took a diverse turn and Krystal had a hard time keeping in her giggles. " Babe, this jacket is not working out for me! Also, they won't allow us to wear heels!" Sulli complained and Kai stomped his feet like a little child. Then he swooped in and gave his girlfriend a kiss on the cheek. " I've done my part as a boyfriend so now do yours as a girlfriend and listen to me." He grabbed Sulli and pushed her out the door despite her protests, leaving Krystal to wonder how he handled her most of the time. Couples, how does their world work? I'm happy being in my single bubble.

Outside in the studio girls lined up for their sophomore portraits and the boys took a seat to watch them in amusement. " I never knew girls worried about the angle their face would show when a picture is taken," Sunggyu whispered to L. " Who cares if it's the right cheek or the left that looks better?" Sungyeol joined in and L nodded. He was a photographer and knew the pain of granting the model's wishes every time he had to take a picture. Suzy would force him to snap a dozen pictures out of which she would only keep one or two. 

" Next in line," Suzy took her turn and made a big deal to exaggerate her expressions which left L embarrassed and red as a Tomato. His friends nudged him chummily and he swatted their shoulders as revenge. Suzy went with a kissy face for the photo that would be published in Seoul Uni's sophomore yearbook. The university was in its own range that was different than other colleges in the area. It focused heavily on academic and arts, not one or the other. The teachers published a yearbook every year to show the progression of the student activities and the school itself. 

Sulli stepped up and grinned at the camera while narrowing her eyes. Kai sighed and rolled his eyes when she sent him a wink and the camera caught it. The result: she would be remembered as the sophomore who winked at the camera and grinned, not something most people would want to publish for everyone to see. " I think she was worse than Suzy," D.O. whispered and watched Kai's expression carefully, " Sorry," he apologized and Kai shrugged. " I honestly wouldn't care even if she were to flash the camera because most of our school's already seen everything." D.O. laughed at his friend's statement and shot back. " All abide the holy Snapchat!" Kai smirked and punched D.O. on the shoulder lightly before resting his head on it. 

It was finally Krystal's turn as she was pushed to last place all thanks to the evil queens, Sulli and Suzy. But by then almost everyone had vacated the studio and took off to the restaurant on the opposite side of the street. She stepped onto the raised podium and stared into the camera lens. " Okay kid, you're my last one for the day so let's make this quick. I'm sure you're hungry too!" The photographer wanted to rush through the process but Krystal wanted to get situated at looking at the big lens that stared back at her. 

She fidgeted with her fingers and bit her lip. " Come on, smile," So she did. It was an awkward grin and L who had decided to hang back and talk to the photographer, chuckled. Could she have been any more awkward? " Soojung, think of our time in the car on our way to Aunt Jimin's. Smile big, show your teeth and just let yourself go!" Surprised that it wasn't his own voice encouraging Krystal, L turned around to see Kai appear beside him.

" Your boyfriend is giving you wonderful advice, kid," The photographer commented and she wanted to tell him that Kai was not her boyfriend. Sulli had him in the palm of her hands. Krystal grimaced slightly and the photographer sighed audibly and ruffled his hair. Then he dropped his hands from the shutter and leaned back to mumble into L's ears. " Can you take the picture instead? I know you said you like photography and this might be a leeway for you to show off your skills." L was flustered having given the sudden task but nodded nonetheless. " Great. I'll be back in five," Then the photographer dashed out of the studio and disappeared. 

" What's going on?" asked Krystal. Kai rolled his eyes and strode toward the girl. He put his hands on her shoulders and stared into her eyes. " It's just a camera. Imagine it as Myungsoo's camera and don't worry about how you look." Her shoulders deflated and she groaned. Why was it so hard for her to take a picture? It might have something to do with the scrutinizing expressions the Kim boys wore. " You look pretty," L stated and she cracked a half-smile.

Kai rose an eyebrow. " Okay, I'm ready." She took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a moment to imagine one of the happiest times in her life: her mother dressed up in a Hanbok and her father in a  suit, smiling at Krystal who opened up her very first Hanbok. They had all worn grins that wouldn't have ever fallen off their faces and their eyes had shined with glee.

Krystal opened her eyes and looked into the camera lens and smiled the way she had then. L and Kai had exchanged a glance when she had closed her eyes. Once Krystal opened her eyes, L clicked the shutter and captured the perfect picture.

 

It was the morning after Christmas and the Kim household did not believe in wasting time so Mrs. Kim had her boys and Krystal awake at the wee hour of five a.m. " Who the hell wakes up this early after Christmas?" Kai was grumpy, not haven fallen asleep until two because he was too busy trying out the new video game console- his present. L on the other hand hadn't slept until two either because Suzy had insisted on talking past midnight. He hadn't had a chance to try out the new Polaroid Camera his step-father had brought for him. Krystal was the only one who had sufficient sleep. She was all smiles, even if it were too early in the morning. 

Mr. Kim pat his son on the back as he rushed past him carrying a duffel bag. Christmas had been nothing special since both the parents had been forced to work. Mr. Kim had gotten a surprise when his clients had flown in from Sweden, Switzerland, and Germany to close their latest deals. Mrs. Kim had been called in for help in the emergency room so she could not spend any time with the family either. 

" Oh Jongin-ah, Sulli called yesterday for you and she was sad that you didn't spend Christmas with her so I invited her along for the trip today," Mr. Kim's comment made L slap Kai on the back of his head and the latter threw him an angry glare. off, mouthed Kai and L grit his teeth. If Sulli was coming, Suzy was sure to tag along. Krystal hurried past the boys and threw in her luggage into the car's trunk.  " Why are you two standing there when a girl needs help with her stuff?" Krystal asked and the two scoffed and walked away. She was dumbfound. 

An hour later everyone and everything was set and the Kim family was off onto the road. Krystal sat in-between the two boys who tried to catch up on their lost sleep. She shrugged her shoulders and smiled lightly. Who would have thought that these two es would become my family? Dad, if only you'd come back, we'll be complete. Why did you run away from me? Mom's left us- left me. I can't afford to lose you too. I won't stay with the Kims if you don't come back. I'll run away. Please come back. 

 

Stretch.

Groan.

Stretch.

Groan. 

Smack. 

L's eyes widened when Krystal put a hand over his mouth to shut him up. " Have you never stretched before? You sound like an old man!" She pointed out and he tossed her hand away and glared. " Excuse you, but I'm just a little rusty. Besides, it was a long drive."

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter