Bequeathed

Two Boys, One Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal couldn't understand her father's actions. He asked her to move out of their run-down, crummy apartment, so she could move in with the Kim family, and now he wanted her to move out yet again? She stood her ground as a hundred thoughts flooded her brain. The moment her father had announced her leave, every nerve in her body had stood to attention, screaming to tell her to refuse her father's demand.

Instead, she took a deep breath and worry flashed in her eyes. " Dad, what is going on? What are you doing here? How did you find me? And why didn't you come earlier?" With every word her father's heart got heavier and his eyes darker. He could feel the doubt lingering in the air by his daughter so he pulled her into a crushing embrace. He ran a hand down her hair and it lovingly. " Soojung, I am very sorry I got us into this mess. I just need you to trust me for now, all right?" She did not answer. Instead, she clenched her fist into a tight ball and then lifelessly let it go as her father hugged her once again.

She then slowly nodded her head and he pushed her towards the door. " Go get your stuff and let's go."

" I'll leave with you on one condition, dad. Give me until midnight to spend my last few hours with the boys and then I'll slip out of the house and meet you at the end of the street." Her father was taken back by his daughter's new found confidence but he reluctantly shook her head to tell her it was okay. Then, he quickly walked away as if he'd seen someone in the distance.

Krystal jumped about a mile and goose bumps covered her arms when L called out to her. " Who is at the door Soojung?" The noise of items being shuffled gave her a sense that he was rummaging for food in the kitchen. She shut the door and joined him. " It was just someone asking for directions since they were lost." He eyed her from the corner of his eye as she looked unlike her sassy self. " Are you all right?" He lightly touched her shoulder and she flinched.

" Uh, yes, nothing's wrong."

" Okay... I wanted to know if you wanted to come visit the Han River with me?" His offer was tempting but she had to pack all of her stuff. She also had to let Seulgi and Wendy know that she was leaving and did not know when she would return. If, she would return. " Soojung?" L asked and by then a bit of concern seeped into his voice. She put on a bright smile for him and nodded happily. " I would love to. Meet you in the driveway in ten minutes?" He gave her a thumbs up and walked towards the band room to kill time.

She sighed and her eyes moistened at the thought of leaving the Kim family. No, stay strong Soojung-ah. You'll come back. Dad needs you now so you need to help him out. She strode up the stairs and into her room. Once she entered, she pulled out the old rucksack she used and threw clothes into it, stuffing them in as a few tears escaped and rolled down her face. She did not want to leave the family and not certainly the boys. She'd grown too attached, something she had worried about since day one.

Losing track of time, a knock came on her door and she kicked the bag under her bed and shut the closet. She brushed her hair back and applied a bit of cream and put on a fake smile. " Soojung, are we cooking dinner or eating take-out?" Kai's voice asked on the other end and she hiccuped. " It's up to you boys," her voice quivered and Kai placed his ear closer to the door to hear her quiet words.

" I'll order Chicken then!" He declared and walked away with a grin at the thought of having his favorite food. She wore a bow in her hair and stared back at her reflection in the mirror. It would be the last time she would look at it, the one where she had practiced expressions, and silly faces with Seulgi and Wendy. Everything about the house would be missed so she stood on her toes for a moment and shut her eyes to capture a picture of it in her mind.

L honked his car outside and she flew down the stairs with a heavy heart. She joined him a moment later and saw Kai stare at the two from his window. Her cell rang shortly into the drive and it was an unknown number- probably her father. She took no notice of it and put it away as L rambled on about the beautiful scenery that awaited them.

" Myungsoo-ah, do you remember the first day you met me?" she asked. He let out a chuckle and nodded, thinking back to the day Jung Krystal had set foot in his house. " I cannot forget even if I want to. You got your collar pulled by Jongin and were so frightened by him!" He laughed and Krystal stared at him anguish. She would definitely miss the big smile his face lit up with. It was something not many got to experience so she was thankful for seeing it. He held out one hand and she questioned his actions. " Just place yours in mine," he told and she complied as he squeezed it with a grin.

" What would your life have been if I hadn't come?" was her next question. He let out a deep sigh and cocked his head to one side. " Empty, like it had been before. Your arrival tended to brighten me and my life, not to forget Jongin's." Every word weighed her shoulders further down. " And what would happen if I weren't there?" Her voice was barely audible and as they stopped at a red light, he turned to look at her. " Don't say that. I would probably shut down if you weren't there." She could see the sincerity in his voice and it only hurt her more.

She wanted to press on but he spoke once again, " You're speaking as if you're going away..." Something inside her urged her to tell him the truth but another part kicked her internally and she sat up straighter. " I'm here, aren't I?" She dodged his question well so he let it go, chuckling good-naturedly.  

Ten minutes later they pulled off the highway and L parked the car carefully and they got off, enveloped by the strong winds blowing. It hit their faces but L grabbed Krystal's hand in his and interlaced their fingers. They walked down the path towards the water and she felt a sinking feeling in her chest. He looked happier than he had ever looked as he childishly sprayed some water at her. How the hell can I leave him? How can I leave them? What would they feel when I'm gone in the morning without so much as a proper reason? Should I stay? I'm going to go crazy...

" Yah Jung Soojung, look here!" He ordered and she lifted her eyes to see her present resting in his hands. She had gifted him with a Polaroid camera and a small collage of their moments together. He had not questioned her on how exactly she had taken pictures of them together without owning a camera and she was thankful. He knew she had stolen his camera at time to capture their perfect moments.

She froze in place, her lips refusing to curl into a smile. He lowered the camera and gave her a concerned look. Worry was evident in his eyes and she could see that he knew something was wrong. She could not let him ask her so she quickly plastered on a fake smile and placed a peace sign by her eyes. He reluctantly clicked the shutter and the picture began to develop on the blank piece of paper. He fanned it and smirked. 

" Let's take one together," he suggested and beckoned her to come over. They stood with their backs facing the Han River and he surprised her by enveloping his arms around her waist. She did not protest when he placed his head onto her shoulder affectionately. She held the camera shakily up to their faces and smiled into the lens. His next move almost knocked the breath out of her.

He placed a chaste kiss to her cheek when she clicked the shutter and looked at him, stunned. He nervously moved his eyes anywhere but at her face but then scolded himself mentally. He let go of her waist and took her hand in his again and brought it up to his lips. He kissed it lightly and her eyes widened. What is he doing? she thought. He sent her his gorgeous dimpled smile and she gulped. It was her last day with L so she had to cherish every little moment so she beamed instead.

L swung their hands back and forth in attempts of making his heart beat calm down. It had raced like a horse in an open field when his lips made contact with her cheek. His stomach was a mess of butterflies as he held her hand and smiled shyly every few seconds at her.

The wind had picked up and now howled lowly around the Han River. It was a cold evening and Krystal's lips turned to a dark purple hue and her hands began to shake in his. He looked down at their entwined hands and then stuffed them into his coat's pocket which sent little tingles up her spine. Little things like these make me want to stay. How will I live without these boys?

She sent him a grateful smile and he bit his lip bashfully. The girl did amazing things to his heart which he had never experienced being in a relationship with Suzy. Was it love? Had he finally fallen in love after aimlessly looking for it? L placed his free hand on his heart and watched Krystal look out at the Han River as they walked. She was preoccupied in her thoughts and he didn't want to interrupt her. He loved staring at the way her bangs fell over her beautiful eyes and her nose wrinkling slightly from the cold.

He was smitten. He was literally head-over-heels for Jung Krystal and he had made up his mind to confess his feelings the next morning. I'll tell her how I really feel. Seeing that she has not let go of my hand or scolded me for the kiss, she might feel the same way. Kim Myungsoo, you better not chicken out and gather all the courage. Maybe I'll kiss her again just for some good luck!

 

Kai threw his game controller across his bed and groaned into the sheets. L and Krystal had left over an hour ago and the image of his step-brother's genuine smile scared him. He knew well enough that L only saved his genuine smile for people he truly cared about: His mother. And now, Krystal was added to the list. Damn, why doesn't that feel good? Why does my heart feel unsettled? Like, something's going on and I'm out of the circle?

" Kim Jongin! Have you had dinner yet?" Krystal's voice was heard downstairs as she shut the door to the garage, waving goodbye to a sad L. The boy had gotten a call from Sungyeol asking to come over as he wasn't feeling well. She had hugged L tightly with every last drop of energy in her. It was more of a goodbye hug that L had been taken back himself. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter