Chances and Changes

Two Boys, One Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

" I may look tiny but I can bite. Don't make me pull your blanket away," Krystal threatened as she stood at the steps of L's bed. The boy refused to open his eyes even after her numerous attempts of smacking him on the head or the shoulder. He groaned in defeat and peeked over his blanket. " Ugh," was the only word that escaped his lips as he got out of bed like a zombie and made his way towards the bathroom infatuated with a sudden head rush and sleep numbing his eyes. 

He entered it to find Kai pop a toothbrush into his mouth and give a grunt as a means of acknowledging his step-brother's presence. Ever since Krystal had invaded the Kim's house the boys had managed to talk more than a five word sentence to each other. They had also gotten used to seeing each other more often than the early days where they would avoid or ignore each other like the plague. Kai and L would not grow closer until either of them decided to be the bigger and better person to give into the childish drama that was their pride.

L grabbed his toothbrush and squeezed some toothpaste and stuck it into his mouth so he could fix his morning hair. Kai continued to brush his teeth when Krystal entered the boy-infested zone to brush her own teeth. " Yah, this is a no-girl zone." Kai informed but she ignored his words. She was oblivious to their shocked looks and went along with her morning routine. " Can you two move over?" she asked and the two took a step back not knowing the reason. Then she leaned down and doused her face with moisturizer and then washed it.

The two boys eyed Krystal warily while continuing to brush their teeth slowly; they wore amused expressions as they watched a girl's morning routine. Krystal jerked her head back up to dry herself and water splashed on them both. Kai and L threw her a frustrated glance her way but she wasn't even looking at them. She seemed to notice their angry expressions through the mirror's reflection and froze. Then she cupped little droplets of water and purposely aimed it at them. 

And thus a water battle began with Kai threatening to dunk Krystal's face into the sink while L jokingly terrorized to dump water on her hair. She let out a high pitched scream and the two quick let go of her to cover their bleeding ears. Works every time. Thank goodness I've still got the Minnie Mouse squeal in me! She took that chance to run out the bathroom leaving the two behind to smirk at each other.

Then Kai got some sense knocked into him as he put on his poker face and stopped smirking at the other Kim- the one he hated, or was supposed to hate. L did the same and left Kai all alone to think more about their little exchange and about how he had just shared a moment with Myungsoo. Don't stray away from your ground Jongin, stick to it. It's the only way to get out of his life and not get entangled only to be hurt again. 

 

Mrs. Kim had left yet another note to the boys and to Krystal that she would be working the night shift in the hospital once again. L and Kai didn't even bother to read the note as they glanced at it from their corner of their eyes and paddled into the kitchen to pull out a carton of milk and a box of cereal. " Ooh, can you pour some milk into my bowl please?" Krystal asked but was grossed out once she witnessed Kai drinking right out of the carton- the one she had used yesterday for some late-night milk.

" What? You thought we eat cereal with milk?" L asked.

" Isn't that what most people do? I thought that was normal..." She replied with a bite of her lip.

Kai slammed down the carton and wiped his mouth with the kitchen towel. " That way is for losers. I drink the milk, then pop some cereal into my mouth, and then chew it together." He explained to the dumbfound girl. " Here, watch," He demonstrated and she gave him a look that said 'really?'.

" Don't bother, he won't listen." L spoke before she could stop Kai from infesting the milk with his germs. She decided not to get entangled early in the morning with the boys and settled on munching on an Apple. She had explored every nook and crany of the Kim house but every time she jerked her head to the 'Memory Lane' wall the family treasured, her eyes always watered.

And they did then as she smiled a broken smile at the several portraits of the boys enjoying their time with their respective families. " I wish I had at least one family photo before mom decided to flee." Krystal muttered as she was overcome with emotion. Her mind reeled with the times when her mother would give her warm red-bean buns in the Winter and make salty-yet-sweet Watermelon juice in the Summer. She remembered how her mother would dress up as Ash and she as Pikachu and then the two would play Pokemon pretend. I miss you mom. When will you come back? Where are you?! How could you leave me? I don't have any complaints about the Kim family, but it would be nice to have you drop in to check on me, after all these years...

Suddenly a cool cloth was pressed onto her eyes and she jerked back in shock. " Easy," L's soothing voice brought her back to reality and her shoulders instantly relaxed. She pulled the handkerchief away. " What is this?" she asked. He sighed and snatched it from her hands and then swiped it below her eyes and then onto her cheeks. " You're crying," he informed and she felt embarrassed at once. Her cheeks flamed red and she grabbed the handkerchief from his hands and turned away. He grunted and mumbled something under his breath. " You could at least say thank you..."

Krystal was about to thank him when a loud commotion outside the Kim family's driveway caught the trio's attention and Kai strode out of the kitchen and down the hallway to throw open the door. " Who could that be?" she asked L and he shrugged. Kai screamed loudly in the distance and Krystal and L sprinted to see what was the matter. Five girls between the ages of eight and ten stood in the doorway with bags in their hands smiling like the Cheshire cat from Alice In Wonderland. The girls reminded Kai of Chucky, the doll, and the boy had hated dolls ever since he was a little kid. He was deathly afraid of dolls, especially the Antique and the Porcelain ones.

" Get them away from me!" Kai exclaimed and L gave him an incredulous look before squatting down to the girls level with a small smile. " Hi, are you girls selling some food?" he asked and they all responded with nods and smiles. " We are selling Honey Cookies, please buy some so we can help our friends at the hospital." One of the girls pleaded and Krystal's heart went out to her. She quickly walked back to the kitchen and pulled out the money Mrs. Kim had left for her food allowance. She grabbed it and returned to the door.

Kai was still staring at the girls as if they would eat him alive. He kept fidgeting with his hands and bouncing on his feet. Krystal smacked his shoulder lightly as a scolding and he ignored her. " I'll buy all the boxes you have left," she did not fail to put bright smiles on the little kids faces as they handed her about ten boxes worth of Honey Cookies. L was surprised as he bid them goodbye and shut the door.

" Are you ing crazy? Who will eat all of that?" Kai was in disbelief. She glared at him and swat his hand away once he tried to peek into one of the boxes. " I'll eat them."

" And what? Grow fatter than you are?" Kai questioned with a smirk. He knew what awaited him but he liked to annoy the only girl living in the Kim house. " Yah, Kim Jongin, you better take your words back or I'll kick your !" She had gotten more confident with her words as time had gone on. Now she felt as though she could tell the boys whatever was on her mind, even if they chose to defy her. On cue, Kai scoffed and grinned. " You won't be able to kick my if you eat that, fatty!" He teased once again before taking off towards the stairs so Krystal wouldn't be able to chase him easily.

L watched on with an uncomfortable, tight lipped smile plastered on. When did they get so close that he can like that? He was confused about his feelings. Why was he getting worked up over something so ridiculous? He dismissed it and diverted his attention to his buzzing phone on the kitchen counter. It was Suzy. He let it go to voicemail; he did not want to deal with her problems.

" Kim Myungsoo, help me hit this idiot with a pillow!" Krystal's voice floated downstairs and L dashed off to 'help' Krystal hit Kai- an opportunity he would not want to miss. Guess it is time for revenge? I'm only helping Krystal, 's all. I'm in no way going to hurt Jongin at all! L smiled smugly before entering Kai's room and joining the crazy pillow fight. 

 

Sulli and Naeun whispered in a corner, sitting inches away from Seulgi and Wendy. The girls were up to no good once again and it shown on their perfect faces. Snarky expressions had sunk into their faces and they brewed a concoction that would surely leave scars. Seulgi glanced their way, " Something's going on with those two." she pointed out to Wendy who was too busy ogling Suho. Seulgi nudged Wendy hard in the ribs and the latter threw her friend an annoyed face. " Stop staring at him!" Seulgi hissed. 

" Oh come on, let me at least enjoy looking at my crush while you go live a virtual relationship online with that Henry dude!" Wendy protested with a pout. Seulgi shook her head in dubiety. " We need to look out for Soojung..." Seulgi narrowed her eyes at Sulli and Naeun who sat on the raised platform of the skate park. The skate park was a local destination which found many University students hanging around, trying out their new skills, or lounging around lazily every day after Uni got out.

Seulgi and Wendy had invited Krystal to take part in an annual ritual every competing Uni had held for several years. Every Uni had a dedicated gum wall with each of its students decorating the wall in their own intricate way. Krystal needed to have her gum stuck on Seoul Uni's wall to prove that she too was a proud (sort of) student of the Uni.

The girls had been waiting for Krystal's arrival when they had spotted Sulli, Naeun, Suzy, and Daeun with their posses sitting on each end of the park, leaving them no choice but to sit smack dab in the middle of a skate hill. A voice was heard to their right. " Yo, dude, over here!" Dongwoo waved his arms in the air and L emerged with Krystal and Kai in tow.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter