Topsy Turvy

Two Boys, One Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun shone brightly through the windows of the Kim dorm and L let out a soft groan, obviously annoyed at the disturbance of his sleep. He peeked open one eye and stretched his arms over his head. His eyes roamed the semi-dark room and fell upon his step-brother's peaceful self. A patch of sunlight emerged onto Kai's eyes and he squinted in his sleep. L, watching this, stood up from the couch and pulled the Japanese screen to shield Kai's face. He would never admit to being a 'nice' brother but as Kai's face relaxed into calmness, he felt proud.

It was approximately half an hour later when Kai banged into the frame of the kitchen's door and clutched his nose in pain. L slapped Kai's head playfully and the latter threw him a glare. " , that hurt," he cursed and brought L in a headlock. " Yah, let me go! I'm going to be late and so will you!" He pointed out and before Kai could make another move, his phone rang. " Right on time," L grinned and pulled away, chuckling while Kai grumbled under his breath.

He accepted the call and Suho's screeching voice on the other end greeted him with a string of profanities, " You ing , you were supposed to email Mrs. Deng the effing documents last night-" L gave Kai a concerned look to which the boy dismissed him with a roll of his eyes. It was normal for Suho to yell at Kai for being late on everything.

" I know Hyung, and I'm sorry. I'm almost at the office anyway so don't freak out, all right?" Kai lied, then hung up before Suho could yell any longer. He gave L a quick smile and sprinted out the door, carrying his briefcase in one hand and his cell phone in the other. " Don't skip lunch, Jongin! I've packed yours and it's kept in the blue bag in the car." L's voice called out and Kai yelled back to reassure his brother that he wouldn't.

L packed his own lunch which consisted of a triple beef set, exactly like Jongin's. Ever since the boys had moved out to buy a place of their own, L had taken over as the mother of the house- something Mrs. Kim approved of wholeheartedly. Without parents around to nag them for cleaning their rooms, having meals on time, and generally keeping clean, all of the scolding had gone to waste the first few weeks the boys stayed in their new dorm together. 

Eventually, none of them were able to keep away from the rules set by their mother and her upbringing hit them in the guts, hard. In other words, the new Kim dorm was no pig sty as both brothers worked to keep the place tidy and welcoming with the exception of last night when they both fell asleep on the couches. L looked around their dorm and beamed. The two of them had come a long way after Krystal's unexpected leave. Their bond had grown stronger and now, there wasn't one day where each couldn't stay away from the other- be it by text or in person.

L's phone beeped and he smiled at the text by Kai, reminding him about their dinner with two potential dateable girls. Hopefully, these girls can take my mind off her...

 

Kai frustratingly banged his car door shut and glared at the construction site. these road repairs. How the hell do they expect us to park a mile away from our work places?! His Bluetooth beeped in his ear and he accepted the call, yelling back into it to let Suho know that he would be at the office in the next five minutes. He locked the car and speed-walked down the long path, occasionally checking out the various girls gathered in bunches in cafes. He rated them in his mind, and let his eyes linger a little longer on their curves- a classic boy move. He his lips and then bumped into someone but didn't apologize.

It was then he realized a number of people gathered around and curiosity arose within him. He tapped a man on the shoulder and asked, " What's going on?" The man grinned and excitedly pointed at one of the cafe's windows. " Apparently a very popular star is in there!"

" Star? Like an actress? Or a singer?"

" Yeah," the man took out his phone and posed to take a few pictures. Even though the pictures were a blurry mess, one could make out the silhouette of a beautiful, sophisticated woman standing at the counter, surrounded by a large amount of people while a taller brunette by her side seemed to be fuming. Kai searched his eyes above people's heads and caught a glimpse of the one girl that managed to knock him off his feet completely, physically and mentally.

Meanwhile, Krystal fought hard against the number of people swarming Jessica and their team of hair stylists and coordinators. " Next time you want a coffee, just tell me." Krystal mumbled and Jessica bit her lip guiltily. Suddenly, an arm yanked her and she screamed to alert her staff, mainly Krystal. The latter glared at the intruder and saw a man snap several pictures of her employee while trying to get into the frame all the while. " Call the Ceci people and tell them that we are running late." Krystal instructed to one of her staff and narrowed her eyes at the man.

Jessica kept a big smile on her face for her fans as she was pushed past people to exit the cafe. Strangers tried to grab her but Krystal held an iron defense. " Where the hell are Shindong and Kangin? They were supposed to help us," Krystal asked and the anger inside her began to bubble. Any minute, she would scream at Jessica's fans to keep away but knew she couldn't. If she did, Jessica would be in the tabloids for having a foul-mouthed manager that mishandled fans.

" If that Soy latte is cold by the time we get on our way, I'll chew someone's head off," Krystal threatened and Jessica chuckled. The same man who had grabbed Jessica earlier suddenly let out a scream for help and Krystal nonchalantly roamed her eyes over one of Jessica's fallen fans. The stranger collapsed onto the floor in a state of unconsciousness while Jessica gripped Krystal's arm tightly. " I'm sure he will be fine once he feels stable. Breathe Unnie," she advised as Jessica fought hard to keep in a rising anxiety attack. 

Although Krystal never saw the fainted man's face, a squirmy feeling in the pit of her stomach immediately struck and she nearly keeled over if it weren't for one of her staff shoving her into the van. Once Jessica and her staff were safely seated in the cocoon that was the mini-van, Krystal barked at the driver to get a move on while squeezing Jessica's hand with a reassuring smile.

 

L worriedly peered at Kai's face until his eyes slowly fluttered open. It was a rare sight to see L not looking polished and buffed. The boy took great care of his face and body so when he showed up at Seoul hospital looking as if he'd run a mile with flyaway strands sticking up in several places, something must not have been right. He let out a sigh of relief when Kai blinked back at him, wanting the haziness flooding the surface of his eyes to melt away.

" You're all right, thank God," he breathed and threw his head back. Kai brought up an arm to shield his ey

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter