The Eye-Opener

Two Boys, One Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Do not break anything. Please get along. Don't forget to eat. Clean the house including your rooms. Call, if any emergencies rise. 

With sleep-laced eyes Kim L glanced at the note which awaited him on the table and stifled a yawn against the palm of his hands. He knew very well of his everyday routine where his mother worked the night shifts in the hospital, while his step-father held fancy meetings to further the stock market charts. He shook his head and stretched his arms over his head, deprived of sleep from walking the streets of Seoul with his camera capturing random shots of anything and everything- strangers, cracks in the roads, fallen leaves, garbage cans, restaurant logos etc. He was that kind of a boy- a boy who saw everything in color, in high definition, and in focus. 

A loud groan distracted him and he witnessed his step-brother Kai enter the kitchen complete with bed hair, slight bags under his eyes, and parading in nothing but his dinosaur boxers. Kai opened the refrigerator and fished out a carton of milk which he drank directly from, earning himself a disgusted look from L. Kai's eyes averted themselves to the note in L's hands and he wiped his mouth with the kitchen towel. He at least has the decency to use something other than the back of his hand, thought L. " Does it say when she'll be back?" He asked but L shook his head in reply. That was about how interesting their conversation got since both the brothers weren't on the best terms. They had never been and couldn't imagine it to be otherwise.  

L's eyes roamed the kitchen area to find heaps of dishes stacked up in the sink. Kai's eyes followed his gaze and it was an instant signal for the eye staring contest that would ensue between them to see who would give in to do the dishes. Kai set his steely gaze on L and the latter returned the stare by locking his eyes with the boy. The loser would have to do the dishes- it was an unspoken rule.

As their eyes began to water the two fought head in but both blinked as the piercing sound of the Kim household's doorbell rung loud and clear in their ears. L and Kai both pressed their palms to cool their eyes. " Who the is out there this early? They better be more important than my damn sleep!" Kai huffed, shuffling out of the kitchen, down the hall, and into the lobby towards the main door. It's one in the afternoon, you retard. L mentally scoffed as he watched on feeling relieved that the bell had ended their intense contest.

Kai flung open main door and was at once greeted by locks of black hair and he squinted to stare at the girl's face. Two brown eyes peeked out and stared back at him from the curtain of hair. " We are not interested in buying anything." He stated without giving the girl a chance to talk and shut the door on her face before turned around to see L with a questioning look in his eyes. " Don't know, don't care," said Kai with a shrug and stalked off upstairs toward his room for some more sleep. L crossed the foyer and threw open the door his step-brother had so dishearteningly closed. 

" I'm not here to sell anything." The girl replied quickly as she saw the door open again. L fiddled with his fingers behind his back. " Oh. Do you want something... then?" He asked looking around to see if she held any papers or pens. The Kim household always had people stopping by to let them know how to get the latest insurance, the newest technology, or simply a new diet pill. So when a girl without advertising any merchandise showed up at their doorstep, it left him left utterly confused. 

The girl reached into her pocket and pulled out a photo and held it up for L to see. The man in the photo resembled Mr. Kim- the same tall structure, the sharp jaw-line, the almond shaped eyes- only younger and with a head full of black hair instead of grey wisps creeping in. " I was told to find this person," she announced and flipped the photo around to show the Kim family's address printed onto the back. 

L looked up at her with puzzlement. " Why?"

" Do you know this man?" she asked and prayed that she would get the answer she was looking for. He nodded and her face was a wheel of emotions suddenly. L offered further insight which put a huge smile on her face. " He's my step-father." 

" Oh!" she exclaimed with joy. An awkward silence followed as neither L nor the girl had any idea what to do next. " Can I maybe... come in?" she asked tentatively and L stepped aside to let her in. Not knowing how to treat a guest since their parents always took care of that mess he offered the girl his name. " I'm L."

" Just L?"

" Just L."

" I'm just Krystal." Her answer got her a look of amusement and confusion from the boy. He played with his hands again as Krystal took a moment to glance around her surroundings. Bright, shiny white tiles covered the floor and paintings featuring different places of the world hung in neat frames decorating the wall along the creamy background. The lobby was a grand entrance filled with various sculptures void of anything that could remind a person of an actual 'home'. The house gave off a cold feeling as if it were only used as a masterpiece to be seen and not something to be lived in. 

Krystal cleared to look at L. " I- I brought my luggage along," she stated and L's eyes widened. He hadn't expected that. He'd thought that once his step-father had made his acquaintance with her she'd leave. So he had no idea whether to offer help with her luggage which resulted in him standing awkwardly until Krystal walked back out and brought in a rucksack. " That's your luggage?" he asked eyeing the ratty old thing. It had a few tears and he could tell she'd sewn patches of cloth to keep it 'alive'.

The boy felt a little out of place in his own home. Why do I feel so awkward? " So, who gave you that picture?" Before Krystal could open to answer his question the house phone rang and L went to receive it. He felt grateful for a chance of escape. Sighing he pulled the cordless phone to his ear. " Hello?" His mother's voice greeted him on the other end. " Myungsoo, did you eat? Did Jongin eat? Did both of you eat- tell me or I-"

" Mom, stop. Yes, we ate." He lied and bit his lip but a little white lie never killed anyone right? He released his lip to speak again, " Were you or step-dad receiving a visitor any time soon?" Hearing no answer on the other end cleared his doubts. " Well, we've got one. And her name is Just Kry

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter