No Trust

Inmate 0205

Yuri.

That name seems familiar yet so foreign to me. It hasn't been that long, but I feel like it was the first time someone called me by my name- not my number.


"Yuri, it's time to go." 

I lifted my head, boring my eyes into officer Lu Han's who suddenly turned tense and more severe looking. I mindlessly got to my feet and shuffled them back to my cell with him behind me. It felt like his eyes were burning holes in the back of my head, but I ignored it and ran back into my cell where Hyoyeon attacked me with a bear hug. Once over the shock, I hugged her back as she bombarded me with questions.

"What happened? Are you okay? Did he do anything to you?" She inspected my body frantically. I stared at her in disbelief as I also wanted to ask her questions. 

"I'm fine. Officer Lu Han... Saved me." As weird as it sounded, it was the truth. I felt a pang of guilt hit me when I realized I didn't thank him. "I need to thank him-"

"That's a no." Hyo scoffed. "He was just doing his job so either you say thank you or not, he doesn't give a crap."

"But he-"

"I know what he did, but there's no point in that, Yul. Besides, interaction between inmates and guards are limited." She patted my back as I raised a skeptical brow. "The relationship between guards and inmates... Well, there isn't any. We really want nothing to do with those sleazeballs and they're all the same."

'Except Lu Han...' I thought to myself. I looked in his eyes, I saw everything or the things I needed to see and there was no lust at all. Maybe a hint of concern, but that's arguable.

"Come on, it's free time and we have shifts." Hyo signalled for a guard to open our cell and someone did.

"Shifts? As in working?" I questioned, trailing behind her.

"Yeah, I both got us shifts at different places. It reduces out sentences." She smiled and I returned it, grateful.

"So, what are we doing today?" I asked cheerfully, making her roll her eyes amusingly.

"Cleaning duty." She said dully. 

"Doesn't sound that bad." I mocked her disgusted look, but I changed my mind when I saw the cafeteria...

It must've goen to hell after we left.

Food everywhere. That's the only way I could explain it and I think that there are some blood stains on the walls which made me cringe. Suddenly, dirty rags were thrown at us which made me flinch.

"What happened here?" Hyoyeon asked, grabbing a mop. I looked up and saw Officer Lu Han staring back at the both of us.

"A fight." He muttered. 

"What is he doing here?" I whispered, poking at a grey lump of something on the ground with the toes of my foot.

"He's guarding us." She scoffed as if that was the stupidest question I had ever asked her. "But he's better than the other guards."

"Off to work, ladies." Lu Han said in a calm voice but, his voice still managed to carry through the room.

"Whatever." Hyoyeon rolled her eyes.

"Yes, sir." I squeaked, starting to work quietly, but the room seemed a bit too quiet. I looked up and saw Hyoyeon staring at me with a what-the- face. "What?"

"Dude, I told you to drop the formalities." She whispered angrily, pointing to Officer Lu Han with her eyes.

"Oh." I accidentally said out loud, making her groan. "I-I don't give a... A ...?"

"A for effort." She said sarcastically. "Next time, don't blink when you cuss."

"I don't blink." I muttered, pouting lightly. 

As we cleaned quietly, I got that weird feeling that he was watching me again, but strangely enough, I didn't feel uncomfortable compared to when the other guards do it. I just shrugged it off and continued to work until I heard something drop, making Lu Han more alert than before. I looked over to Hyoyeon and she was holding her left hand painfully.

"Are you okay?" I ran up to her and saw her bloody hand. "How did this happen?"

"That stupid table has a bent metal piece and I caught it by accident. God damn, that hurts." She hissed and I immediately ripped the sleeve of my jumpsuit and wrapped it around her hand. She and Lu Han stared at me weirdly.

"What? It's to stop the bleeding!" I defended. "But you probably need to see a doctor." I mumbled.

"An officer is on his way." He stated monotonously.

"No, I can still work." She said stubbornly. "We still have freaking 2 hours left." 

"I-I'll work for the remaining time and give some credit to you." I offered and before she could protest, I pushed her towards the officer that came to bring her to a doctor. "Bye. Take care!" I said quietly, waving at her fading figure.

I turned back around and couldn't help but let the words fall out of my mouth: " my life."

As I started cleaning again and tried to get as much done as possible, because I want to get my sentence reduced more than anything- but now that I think about it, what would I return to when I finally get out? It's not like my family will take me back with open arms or my 'friends' as well. I sighed, stopping my tears from welling up.

'I'll figure something out...' I told myself for the umpteenth time.

Suddenly, as my eyes wandered up, Lu Han had a cloth in his hand and started cleaning the same table as me. His jacket was off, leaving him in his grey dress shirt with the sleeves folded up to his elbows. I stopped for a second, staring at him with furrowed brows until he stopped and stared at me.

"What?" He said, sounding irritated.

"Nothing." I decided to let it go. "Thank you." I muttered.

"It's just cleaning-"

"For earlier too. I didn't get the chance to thank you properly. So... Thanks." I stopped myself from ranting like an idiot and continued to work.

It became very silent for a while which made me peek at him- he was staring at me again. I became extremely shy at the moment and slowly inched away from the table, moving towards the mop to clean the floors.

"You're weird." He chortled before continuing to clean.

"Pardon?" I raised a brow, making him crack the tinniest smile. "Says the guard helping an inmate clean." I rolled my eyes. "Are you even allowed to do that?"

"I'm second in command so I guess I can." He shrugged.

"Who's first?" I asked casually, moping up what I think is mash potato with a hint of... Blood.

"Officer Aiden Holmes." He said nonchalantly which made me freeze.

"A.Hole?" I whispered to myself.

"Is that what the inmates call him." He actually chuckled while rinsing his cloth.

"I-I..." I don't know if I should be revealing these 'secrets' shared among the inmates, but I feel like he's one of my outlets where I can vent and tell him things. 

Strange. 

"You can tell me, no worries." He gave a lopsided smile.

"You seem strangely open." I chuckled in amusement. "I hope you're not like the other officers." I added and saw him bite his lower lip.

In a split second, I was pinned against the wall, my skull almost cracked for the nth time. Lu Han breathed down my neck, making more and more tears well in my eyes. His body was so closed to mine that I felt him squeezing all the oxygen out of me. I whimpered for help as the door opened, another officer walking in.

"Sir?" He called out.

"I'm busy. What is it?" Lu Han, his cold tone returning, asked. He made me feel disgusted with him and I hope my glares haunt him in his sleep.

"The inmates shift here is done for a while. It's almost time for the last inspection." He informed, making Lu Han run a hand through his disheveled hair.

"I got this one." Lu Han replied.

"Alright, sir. Have fun." The other smirked and chuckled before leaving.

"G-Get off me!" I said through gritted teeth, tears blurring my vision. "I thought you told me to not worry!" I seethed.

"Yuri-"

"Don't call me that. I don't like it when it comes out of dirty mouths like yours. I don't have a name anymore, I'm inmate number 0205!" I cut him off, anger coursing through every part of me. "Just bring me back to my cell or do you still want to keep yourself busy." 

Without saying another word, I followed Luhan out while trying to dry my tears. I hate myself so much every time I cry in this dreadful place. It makes me feel weak and helpless. It's especially bad to act that way in a place like this. 

Hyoyeon's right.

I need to shut down all emotions and act tougher. I can't just fall for someone's kindness for a second. I can only trust Hyoyeon, she's my only friend.

When I got back to my cell, Hyoyeon laid on her bed, sleeping. I sighed and woke her up for inspection. I thanked God that Lu Han wasn't inspecting our cell today and hopefully never again. Hyoyeon kept on asking me what happened while she was gone, but I gave her short answers that didn't reveal much.

"You're a really bad liar." She chuckled, laying back down after inspection. "Just tell me and I won't bug you."

"Look, Officer Lu Han tricked me into trusting him for a second before turning on me." I scowled.

"What did he do?" She asked in disbelief.

"He was busy with me." I added and she finally understood.

"Girl, that's not like him to do that. He's the only officer that doesn't like that much interaction with inmates." Hyo wondered for a second.

"Until today." I scoffed. "You were totally right, Hyo. I can't be weak anymore."

"I know. I'll show you a few more things tomorrow, alright?" She patted my back. "Come on, get into bed. They're going to close the lights soon." 

As I laid in bed, I contemplated about my experience so far, and I have to say, it's pure torture and I'm going to have to work my off to reduce my sentence to the max.

And then, the lights closed and I was engulfed in the darkness once again.

A/N:

Quick update! It's kinda my way to make it up to you guys for going AWOL for a pretty long time :p

I don't know what else to say... Bye!

Have a nice day!<3