One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Inmate 0205

Thanks to my prison experiences, I've realised many things that have opened my eyes. Like the fact that we all have certain needs that are to be fulfilled but only by certain people. I wish my certain person could be someone else.


"Just one?" He pleaded once more while giving me his most charming smile. He held my hands, making them look tiny compared to his.

"No." I shook my head for the thousandth time and could no longer supress my smile.

"Ah, but your smile says otherwise." He sounded all giddy at the prospect of me finally giving in. Too bad he had no clue how tough I've become. 

"Would you stop?" I giggled at his pout. "I need a shower." A day after working hard in the gym left me sweaty and I really didn't want him to see me like this no matter how many times I say that I don't care about my looks.

It's been a total of four days since Jong Suk and I have started talking. Ever since he held me in his arms before I was about to plummet to my death, I've been slightly attracted to him, but Lu Han has no doubt invaded my heart. It would be a miracle if Jong Suk were to change that. He's been coming to the gym where I work more often than he should and has been asking for a date. And I've said no every time.

"To get ready for our date?" He looked like the happiest puppy which made my heart hurt a bit because I would have to reject him.

"No, because I stink," I smiled softly and pulled my hand out of his.

"Why don't you want to go out on a date with me? Is it because I'm ugly? Does my breath smell? I have abs, you know?" He went which sent me over the edge. I burst out laughing while he kept frowning.

"No to all of those." My laughter died down.

"Is that your favourite word of something?" He sighed.

"No." I frowned.

"See? How about we try a yes next time?" He smirked, blocking my way from the exit. I already missed my bus and Hyo was probably at home already.

"You're impossible!" I exclaimed while chuckling.

"I'm persistent." He corrected. "Especially when it comes to something I want."

"Thanks for making me sound like an object." I rolled my eyes and watched him turn serious. Did I say something wrong?

"You're not an object." He muttered, taking a step closer. "You're a beautiful young woman who can have anything she wants just by flashing her perfect smile."

, did am I blushing?

"Smooth talker." I teased and moved away, looking down at my feet. I noticed that one lace was shorter than the other. Interesting.

"You're also very witty and speak your mind which is another thing I admire." He continued which made my face heat up. I scolded myself repeatedly for looking so easy. 

Stop blushing. Stop. Just stop!

I was just praying for him to say something wrong to ruin the moment because I can feel myself caving into his charms. "And those eyes of yours... God!" Well, I guess not. Why does he have to be such a smooth talker? He kept gushing on and on, but I was already lost in thought, wondering why he was so hooked on getting a date with me.

"Why do you want to date me so badly?" I spoke my thoughts. "To prove something to your friends?" I furrowed my brows, a pinch of anger rising in me.

"No! Of course, not," He denied with sincerity in his eyes. "I found you really pretty and those damn 4 days I spent with you made me realize that I want you." 

"Very flattering," I chuckled.

"It's the truth." He said softly.

"Look, Jong Suk..." I trailed off once my eyes connected with his. He looked harmless, so caring, more than any girl could wish for and he proved all of that through his actions.

One date couldn't hurt, right? Besides, it'll take my mind off of... Things.

"Okay." I huffed.

"What?" He looked lost.

"Okay, I will go on a date with you." I rolled my eyes. "Just one," I said strictly and I could feel his urge to just fist pump right then and there. "Pick me up tomorrow at 7 and don't be late." I added before turning my back and leaving.

Once I was a few feet away, I sneaked a peek back to where he was and had to hold in my laughter. I could see his cute little victory dance as he was oblivious to me. I giggled and continued walking out as he chanted a happy little phrase about something with me in it.

Gosh, he was cute. And handsome. And funny. And-

"Where have you been?" Hyoyeon cut my thoughts as I collided into her, but not enough to make us fall. I didn't realize that I was home already.

"At the gym," I pulled on my bag's strap.

"With Jong Suk?" She raised a brow and I nodded. There was no hiding from a curious Hyo and she knows practically everything that goes on in my mind. "Did you say yes?"

"Yup." I said casually while grabbing a drink from the fridge.

"Better finish that sip quickly." She said with a smirk. I swallowed and gave her a look to explain furthermore. "Because I gave him your number." If she didn't tell me to swallow my water, I would've spat all over the place.

"When?" I choked.

"Yesterday. He was asking for it and I said why not." She explained casually.

"Why?"

"I thought it was a good idea to keep your mind busy." My features softened at her words. I know she cares for me even if she doesn't admit it, but she shows it and that's enough for me.

"Aw, come here." I ran over and hugged her.

"Ew. Get off! You smell nasty and feel sticky." She scowled, but I could see that playful glint in her eyes.

"Please, you love my hugs!" I exclaimed while running to the bathroom. I heard her chuckle before entering her room.

Like I told him, Jong Suk was at my door at exactly 7 pm- if not earlier- the next day. He was pretty dashing in his grey dress up shirt and jeans. I opted for a skirt with a blouse and some wedged heels. I had no idea where he was taking me, but I guess my outfit was casual enough for any occasion. 

"Hello, beautiful," He greeted with his usual charming smile.

"Hey, ugly," I smirked as he feigned hurt.

"It's funny how, even when you're insulting me, I can never get mad at you." He pulled me closely for a hug I wasn't expecting so I just stood in his arms, my own hanging at my sides.

"Get a room." Hyoyeon muttered while passing by with a bowl, certainly planning on having a Netflix marathon. I wish I could join her, but I would have to stick with my date. "Bye, babe, have fun. Use protection, come back home before 11 and all that crap." 

"Babe?" Jong Suk wondered out loud.

"That's right," Hyoyeon confirmed, a small smirk creeping upon her lips. "She's mine and I'm just generous enough to share my girl." She winked and finally entered her room.

"Interesting," Jong Suk pondered out loud. "I like learning new things about you." He joshed.

"Shut up." I shook my head, feeling a small blush creep up my cheeks.

The conversation between us was entertaining and he sure does know how to keep one alive for a long time, but somehow, I felt something missing. The talk between us was friendly- that's it. It didn't leave me wondering what the next thing would come out of his mouth; it didn't make me want to talk with him for hours on end. It wasn't as special as the ones I had with Lu-

Stop. It's over, we're over. 

"After you," Jong Suk grinned, pulling the door open for me. I smiled and slid in before taking a seat at a table. The place looked fancy- too fancy. "This is the best restaurant money can afford and I'm willing to spend it all on you." 

"Oh, that's sweet." I smiled bitterly, trying to ignore the hard gazes from other customers. Was my outfit lacking something? Did I have something stuck on my face? What was wrong with me to make them look?

"One-" Jong Suk ordered something I couldn't understand. I detected a hint of French which took me by surprise. I assumed he ordered for me since the waiter never even acknowledged me.

He picked up the conversation and I was half listening to him, half trying not to scowl at everyone in this damn restaurant. Everything was too high end for me and it made me want to cringe. Jong Suk's hand slipped on top of mine and he gave a gentle squeeze which brought me back to reality. I'm stupid for letting all these flaws get to me. I mean, any girl would be going crazy if they were in my shoes so I should be grateful.

"So, how do you like it so far?" He asked expectantly, swallowing his bite of steak. I had some sort of pasta that was mouth-watering, but way too little. This must be expensive so there was no way that I would ask for more. This place looked like they charged you for the water.

"It's amazing." I smiled brightly. "Thank you."

"No problem," He waved it off. "Anything for my queen," I let out an unattractive snort which garnered me some more unwanted attention. "Ignore them," He whispered, pecking the back of my hand. "They're jealous that I get to be your date and have your attention."

"Stop being cheesy!" I lightly hit his shoulder, not helping my staring situation. "You make me cringe."

"As long as I get a reaction," He winked which sent my cheeks turning different shades of red. "See?" He poked my cheeks which made me whack him. I heard scoffing all around me which made me glue my hands to my sides.

Damn fancy -

"Come on. It's late and your babe might be pacing the room by now." He joked.

I don't know if it was just me or he was using more ways to get skin ship with me. He was grabbing my hand, kissing it when he could and held our bodies close to each other. The small acts of affection gave me this weird tingle inside, but it was very, very small.

"So... I know dinner was awkward, but if you give me another chance. I promise, I will give you the time of your life." Jong Suk jumped in front of me as we came closer to the apartment, just a block away.

"I don't..."

"Please!" He clasped his hands together, giving me this irresistable smile. "You won't regret it." He said softly, cupping my face as my heart pumped out of control. I don't know what type of emotion caused it to react like this.

He leaned closer, his lips brushing against mine, but he paused. He was waiting to see if I agreed to this or not, and truthfully, I did. I wanted to know if I could actually move on from Lu Han, because I needed to desperately.

And the first step is this.

I leaned forward, lightly lifting myself on my toes to reach his soft lips that tasted of fine wine- nothing like I was used to. He deepened it by pushing my head towards his and it made this weird feeling swirl in my stomach. I have to say, it wasn't comfortable.

This is wrong.

I was the one to break it, but he was clearly somewhere else to notice my discomfort. He smiled like an idiot, quickly leaning down to steal another kiss. Stolen kisses didn't feel the same anymore. I smiled, trying to be polite and he grabbed my hands in his before pecking them, too.

"I hope that meant something to you." He whispered.

"U-Um, you should go." I stuttered, feeling an immense awkwardness sifting through me. "I'll be okay." I assured.

"Okay, I'll call you later." He smiled before turning on his heels and walking away.

Damn it. He was too perfect.

"What about me?" A voice from behind startled me as I spun around.

", Hyo, you scared me." I panted and walked up to her. "Did I keep you waiting? It's not 11 yet." I smirked and she returned it.

"I know. I was just jealous of your make out session." She lightly nudged my sides.

"Yeah..." I dragged on.

"Oh no, he's a bad kisser?" 

"N-No!" I said hastily. "He's a good one, but..." How could I explain this?

"Don't worry, I get it. It happened to me and my first boyfriend." She patted my back.

"Do you miss him?" I asked quietly as we walked back.

There was a moment of silence before she broke it off with a loud sigh. "He sent me to jail." She said bluntly. I was about to open my mouth, but she got to it before I could. "But I still have some feelings for the bastard." She chuckled lightly. "Although it would take more than diamonds and money to get me back."

"I couldn't agree more." I giggled lightly and placed my arm over her shoulders and she did the same but to my waist. 

I started babbling on about my date with Jong Suk as she listened and gave her two cents when needed. She understood how horrible it was to be under so many snobby people's gazes as they judged every aspect of you, every single misplaced hair. We joked around and laughed about it until her smile faded, her whole face dropped.

"Oh ." She muttered under her breath. I frowned and followed her eyes to the front of us.

"Oh ." I repeated.

Lu Han was right in front of us.

A/N:

What have I done?

Hello, remember me? It's been a while hasn't it?

Sorry, I was just busy with school. Ew.

I'm glad to have a weekend without homework :')

Hopefully I would be able to update more, but I'm not sure!

Leave your comments bellow about the story, the flow, anything! I really encourages me and helps me to update more :)