A New Home

Inmate 0205

Numbers.

That's all we're considered as. We're called by what the tag on our uniform says. We are no longer human, because everyone calls us monsters, insane and heartless.

We wear the same thing, we eat the same thing at the same time, we listen to what those who also wear uniforms tell us. They bark their orders at us like we're deaf and push us around like we're rag dolls.

They are the officers and we are the inmates.

-----

My life was going so well for me, but in a blink of an eye, I was on the ground and was pressed against it by a man who was shouting the Miranda rights in my ear. Police cars were flashing their blue, red and white lights in my eyes as my family stared at me in horror.

After that, it was all a blur.

My entire body felt numb as they took my fingerprint, gave me my jumpsuit, number and cell room. All I remember is the metal bars closing in front of my face.

That's when it all hit me.

I'm in jail, framed for something I didn't do. I don't remember what happened or what I did on that particular night, but just by the way the officers were looking at me, it was pretty bad.

At night, all I see is red, the same color as blood. I would wake up in the middle of the night, screaming my lungs out, but no one would come and comfort me. I was alone

I pleaded not guilty which made the crowd gasp in horror. I had no lawyer, I was by myself. My family stayed home, hiding in shame and my friends didn't take my side or even try to believe me.

In the end, I received 5 years in jail for manslaughter of a man I don't know. His family sent me glares as I passed by, muttering death threats with clenched fists and teary eyes. I kept my head low, avoiding everyone's stares.

I spent another 2 days in that dreaded cell before they announced that I'll be transferred to a different prison. It was supposedly the best one in South Korea, a place where monsters like me can stay.

Riding in the bus, I stared lifelessly at the ground, bouncing from my rickety seat when the bus ran over stones. The chains around my hands and my feet bound me to the floor so if anything happened, I couldn't escape. 

An officer stood guard of all the women in the bus with a riffle in his hands. He looked at all of us in disgust, but there was lust in his eyes. I could see it. They all looked like that.

The other inmates in the bus with me were no better. All of them had tattoos and most of them looked like men. They would glance at me which made my eyes shoot back to the ground. They would tease me, tell me that I'm going to be their little or something. 

This is not how I planned my future. I was going to go to medical school, be a doctor and save lives. Everything was going right; I had amazing grades, the best support anyone could ever get, and was close to getting a date with my crush, but it all went crashing down after one mistake.

A harsh shove woke me from my deep thoughts as an officer pushed himself against me, his warm breath hitting my neck as goosebumps started rising from my skin.

"Are you deaf, 0205?!" He shouted, pressing harder against me until I felt a small bump on my lower region. "When I tell you to move, you move! Or else you'll be punished." There was this dark look in his eyes and I knew what he had in mind. I glared at him as he walked away. 

The inmates, including me, were all guided to our cells, passing hallway after hallway filled with women shouting at us, throwing things in our faces. I dodged everything and kept my head low. I'm just planning on laying low and made sure that I won't get noticed by anyone. I don't want trouble.

I was the last to be introduced to my new cellmate. I quietly entered as the girl occupied the top of the bunk bed, reading a magazine. I silently unpacked my things and put them where they should be.

"Hey, new girl." The girl jumped down, making me flinch and freeze. "Turn around." She ordered in a calm voice and I did as I was told. She looked about the same age as me. She didn't even look like she was supposed to be in prison.

"What's your name?" She asked, crossing her arms and judging me with her eyes as she scanned me from top to bottom.

"Y-Yuri-"

"No." She said sternly as I raised a brow. "Here, your name no longer exists. You are now known as the name on your tag." She said, pointing to the little paper stuck on my chest. "Again, what's your name?"

"Number 0205." I muttered, hanging my head.

"Good. I'm number 3022." She smirked while circling me like I'm her prey. 

"W-What are you going to do to me?" I asked, trying to stop my body from shaking. Her laughter filled the cell as she rolled her eyes at me.

"Don't worry, I'm not like these sick freaks." She gestured to our surroundings. "You look sane. My name is Hyoyeon, but call me by my number in front of the guards."

"Okay." I let out a deep breath.

"Sorry for being harsh on you in the beginning, but that's how you gotta be when your in here or else everyone will just walk all over you." She chuckled bitterly, gesturing me to sit on my bed as she took a seat in front of me. "So, what are you in for?"

"2nd degree murder." I muttered under my breath.

"Oh my God! I take it back, you're not sane." She looked at me, shocked.

"No!" I hastily yelled out. "I-I didn't do it. Well, I don't remember anything. I would never do that!" I buried my face in my hands, letting tears flow.

"Hey..." She looked at me weirdly, poking my shoulder. "Don't... Don't cry. That makes you look weak." She sighed. "Look, if I say that I believe you, will you stop being a little ?"

"Yes..." I sniffled.

"Alright." She got up and walked around the room. "Tell you what, I'll take you under my wing, show you the ropes and ." She shrugged.

"Thank you." I looked at her with hope in my eyes.

"First rule, drop the formalities." She raised one finger. "Makes you look dainty and stuff. That's how you get in here."

"What?!" I shouted, my jaw dropping. "By the inmates?!"

"Or by the guards. It doesn't really matter, most of them are just hungry for ." Hyoyeon rolled her eyes.

"Is that legal?" My lower lip quivered.

"It's kinda your fault for looking hot. Not that I'm attracted to you." She raised her hands in defense.

"Attention all inmates, you must all be in your cells and ready for inspection." A woman's voice resonated through the halls as the inmates ran back to their cells.

"What's going on?" I asked, trying to stick my head through the bars, but was pulled back.

"Get used to it, newbie. They'll inspect our cell 3 times a day to see if we have anything that is not prohibited here and possibly harass you." She said casually.

"What?!" I shouted for the second time.

"Inspection!" A guard yelled, unlocking our cell and walking in. He turned to me and smirked. "Well, if it isn't our little rebel." He walked closer to me. "Do you still remember what you did wrong? Or do I really need to punish you?"

"I remember." I glared, avoiding his gaze.

"Good, 'cause next time, I won't be so nice." After glancing at our cell, he walked out.

"Geez, what did you do?" Hyoyeon looked at me and back at the door continuously. "You know, I'm really reconsidering that whole sane thing about you."

"It's just that I wasn't walking fast enough for him. Is he always like that?" I asked, feeling sick to my stomach.

"Yeah. Everyone calls him officer A.Hole for a reason. He's a total and you can't do about it since he's, like, the head guard." She rolled her eyes as a scoffed escaped her lips.

"Great." I mumbled sarcastically.

"No offense, but I'm glad he's taken interest in you, because that makes me in the clear." She chuckled which actually made me laugh a little too.

"You're welcome." I chuckled sarcastically. 

"YAH! Get off me!" A woman screamed from the cell next to us. 

"What's going on?" I whispered, hiding behind Hyo.

"A guard 'handling' an inmate. Don't worry, as long as it's not us, you don't have to care." She patted my head while climbing into bed.

"God, is there at least one guard that's remotely normal?" I scoffed, laying in my bed.

"Actually, there is. His name is Officer Lu Han and he just does his job. He talks to no one unless it's necessary." Hyoyeon said, yawning at the end.

"That's good to hear. How is his personality?" I casually asked.

"Look, it's nice talking to you and stuff, but I'm dead tired and so will you if you don't go to sleep now." She grunted, shifting in her bed.

"Okay. Good night, Hyoyeon-ssi." I fluffed my pillow before laying on it, ignoring the thoughts of it and the bed being infested with lice or all sorts of bugs.

"Yah. What did I say about formalities?" She hung her head over the side of the bed railings, staring at me upside down.

"Oh- um... Good ing night, ." I tried to act tough, but that sent her laughing.

"Good enough." She laughed, hitting me with her pillow.

"LADIES, LIGHTS OUT!" Someone shouted and all the lights closed at once.

This is my home from now on...

A/N:

Hey, guys :) How is it so far? This is just a taste of how the story is going to be so I apologize if you don't like mature content. Anyways, the updates might be slow thanks to school so please be patient with me! 

By the way, I realize now that the graphic shop that I'm waiting for will probably take a while to re-open so I decided to post the first chapter c: