A Friend In Me

The Most Popular Boys In School

 

Warning: Coarse Language

***

“Chanyeol-sshi buy me an ice-cream yeah?” The boy begged excitedly, flashing his signature rectangular smile.

Not only did Chanyeol invite Baekhyun to spend the evening with him at the plaza, but also Baekhyun even caught Chanyeol eyeing a cute teddy bear at Morning Glory. A couple gift already? Baekhyun thought wistful-ly.

“Baekhyun-ah, I barely have enough money for the bus trip home” Chanyeol complained.

The ice creams these days were expensive, with even one plain soft serve come valued at **3,000 won. Also, knowing Baekhyun, his dazzling personality would demand for a dazzling frozen treat.

“As if!” Baekhyun snorted. “You’re always snatching the wallet off of that rich prick in our class”

Chanyeol chuckled at the possibility of Junmyeon severely cursing him, trapped at a bus stop with no money. Still, he wouldn’t give in to his hyung’s mooching.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Baekhyun brought his fisted hands up to below his eyes, twisting them slightly while biting the right side of his pink lips and batting his kohl-ed eyelids.

Chanyeol groaned weakly at the older’s irresistible aegyo. “Aish, stop it. Ha Ji Ma.”

“Ha Ji Ma Se Yo” Baekhyun corrected, immediately bringing his fist down to punch the tall male in the shoulder, gaining a wince from the other. “Don’t forget to speak formally, I am your hyung after all,” He reminded, playfully.

“Yeah, it’s just that… you are so cute that sometimes I mistake you for a child” Chanyeol said, rubbing the back of his neck anxiously. Baekhyun covered his face briskly before his love interest could discern the obvious self-consciousness his face was portraying. It wasn’t that he was unconfident with his appearance (he was drop dead fabulous, honey!), but he always found himself doubtful in front of the boy with the deep, seductive voice.

“Oh!” Chanyeol bounced suddenly. “Wait here, I need to show you something” and with that he ran off in the opposite direction, re-tracing their steps. Baekhyun sighed and plopped himself down on a seat, calmly watching the people walking by. His eyes widened when he noticed two tufts of contrasting hair colours walk side by side; light blonde and dark brown.

“I’m back!” Chanyeol announced, not so subtly hiding an object behind his back, showcasing a grin. Ta da! The objects fluffy ears stuck out from the side and Baekhyun then knew exactly what it was. Omg! Omg! Omg! He really bought it for me.

Chanyeol brought the teddy bear in full view and with a smile filled with happiness and eyes filled with adoration asked “What do you think of this for Kyungsoo hyung?”

*

The dim streets of the plaza added a romantic atmosphere to the evening, encouraging couples and soon-to-be-couples alike to link fingers, blush shyly and whisper sweet nothings to one another. Unfortunately, for people who weren’t ‘together’, it was as awkward as that one time when Kyungsoo was using a public toilet and someone came through, peeked through the crack of the stall door and made eye contact.

This was the situation that Kyungsoo was presented with when Jongin had, out of the blue, asked him if they could be friends and then ask if snacking on Jjajangmyeon sounded good. Ofcourse, Kyungsoo couldn’t say no to the idea of the appetizing black bean noodle.

The two youth’s entered a very crowded restaurant where Jongin only clicked his tongue and motioned for the waitress to give them a separate room, slipping some cash into her blouse. Kyungsoo frowned at this action but found himself studying Jongin. The way his adam’s apple would bob up and down every time he would speak, the way his mouth would tug up at the corner of his lips as if it were first nature, and the way his fingers would tap mindlessly on the wooden table when they were seated.

“Uh, I’m kind of nervous” Jongin admitted when he noticed Kyungsoo watching his solo finger tap-dance performance.

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow at this. “Why?”

Jongin, fighting a flicker of panic in his eyes, realized that he had not thought anything through. This was the difference between the two. Kyungsoo was calculative and generally wise while Jongin was careless and all-round foolish. They would never work.

Jongin coughed uncomfortably, “I did…sort of make your life hard for you when you first came to school.”

“Did you now?” Kyungsoo asked with a fake curiosity, cupping his cheeks in his palms, and opening his heart-shaped mouth in mockery.

Jongin seemed to take Kyungsoo seriously. Did he forget already? “Y..yeah I did” He stuttered.

“Can you give me an example?”

Jongin shifted uncomfortably in his cushiony seat.

“P..pulled your pants down in the hallway.”

“And did you enjoy that? Letting the whole world see my feminine undergarments.” Kyungsoo mentally facepalmed himself at his choice of language, but it seemed that Jongin (who would normally make fun of him for that) payed no heed. His face wore a determined expression.

“Hell no!” Jongin shouted, drawing in the attention of the other (now quite curious) customers. “Why should other people get to see it too?”

*

Kim Jongdae’s fists turned white from the pressure of holding onto his rigid couch as he tried to comprehend - to process what the news reporter was saying.

“At 9:45pm, the classical singer Kim Minseok was attacked viciously by a fan during his concert. The award nominee for “Best Male Artist” was admitted into Kyung Hee University Medical Centre shortly following the incident and is currently in critical condition.”

“What the ?” Jongdae roared, switching the t.v off promptly.

“Young man!” His mother warned, exiting the kitchen momentarily to wave a stick in his face at his “ungodly vocabulary”

“Umma…” The traumatized boy cried, sniffling away at some tears and pushing himself into his mother’s embrace. His mother’s first instinct was to hit the troublemaker with her stick but the aging woman was overcome with concern when she registered that the boy was not his usual bubbly self. She hugged her son back and rocked him on the spot gently, asking him what was wrong.

“Oppa is hurt” He replied, voice cracking.

“Oppa?” his mother pulled back from the hug with a confused expression and hint of a glare at her son’s giddiness.

Jongdae changed the subject, “Where is Kyung Hee University Medical Centre?”

*

The best part about Kim Junmyeon’s day was Physical Education. Maybe this was because of the fact that all the hunky male students of the class were to change into their sporting gear together at the changing rooms or maybe because his favourite teacher was instructing their lesson. It was definitely the latter, the class president decided, when he set his sights on Mr. Yixing in cute shorts and a semi-transparent tee, with sweat trickling down his neck from running. The same neck he received a teaser taste of.

Junmyeon’s ogling came to an end when he realized that Mr. Yixing stopped running to stare back with a frown on his face. Playing hard to get are we?

Junmyeon took a seat on the gym’s floor next to a graceful-moving girl with wavy hair; Chanmi. The equally wavy haired boy wondered if they could be siblings.

Mr. Yixing cleared his throat. “Today our goal is to make a minimum of 10 laps around the gymnasium”

A deep voice groaned loudly from the back of the flat room.

“Chanyeol you will do 12 laps” Mr. Yixing ordered, chuckling lightly.

The class all stood up to run their laps and from the corner of his eye, Junmyeon waited irritably for Chanyeol to help a gloomy-looking Baekhyun up before going about his own business. Junmyeon always took the first few minutes of every lesson to stretch (he couldn’t risk pulling his hamstrings in front of Mr. Yixing and look unmanly now, could he?). By the time he had finished and got his head in the game he noticed that Mr. Yixing was motioning him to come forward. Junmyeon broke into a wide grin. A confession?

“Junmyeon did you get home alright last night?” The teacher asked. Junmyeon did not like the tone of voice that his teacher asked him the question with. It didn’t sound like a true affectionate type of concern but instead like it was obligatory. He was just doing his job. He feels nothing for you.

“Yeah I did, Mr. y shorts” Junmyeon assured, pinching at the material of the (now uncomfortable) teacher’s shorts.

“That’s good” was the vague reply before Mr. Yixing once again took a page out of Sonic’s book and activated Light Speed Dash - to put as much space between himself and the flirtatious student as possible.

 

** 3,000 won is roughly $3.20 in Australian currency and $2.87 in United States currency (that's pretty hella expensive if you ask me)

***

Note: Sorry for not updating in two days instead of one like I promised. Yesterday my teacher actually asked if I could stay behind at school to help with choir since I have “a beautiful voice” (lol not really?) but anyways I agreed to stay behind and help. Haha I even tried updating during rehearsal but she caught me on my phone and confiscated it for a while (and I secretly prayed to god that she wouldn’t read my fic)

 So basically this chapter summed up; Chanyeol is revealed to be infatuated with Kyungsoo, Jongin and Kyungsoo go out for an awkward dinner, Minseok is in the hospital and Junmyeon is still delusional. Sorry again if this seems more like an every couple fanfiction than a kaisoo fanfiction but the other plots really have an impact on the kaisoo one.

This is where Kyungsoo's random awkward moment came from:

Some gifs:

 (ahh...so this is what a smirk looks like)