Chapter 5

My Gay Best Friend

Dara’s POV

“Well…” I started.


[Flashback]~

*ringggg* CRAP!!! THAT’S THE 5 MINUTE BELL!! I’M LATE….AGAIN! I PROMISED MOM THAT I WOULDN’T BE DOING THIS ONCE I GOT TO HIGH SCHOOL!! I’M ALREADY RUNNING LATE ON THE FIRST DAY. ALMOST THERE!!! I slam door to my homeroom classroom wide open, “Good Morning,” I grinned.

“Ahem,” the teacher cleared his throat, “I’m assuming you’re Miss Sandara Park?”

“Ah,” crap…does that mean I’m already late? “Yes, sir.”

“Please, try to be on time, Miss Park. The ten minutes late bell just rang. If you are late on a constant basis, I will assign you along with…” he checks his list, “Mr. Kwon detention. Please take a seat now Miss Park.”

“Yes, sir,” I bow as I went to take one of the only two seats left open.

All of a sudden the classroom door opens once again, at least I’m not the only one who is late on the first day of high school. I look up and see a boy walk in casually.

“Mr. Jiyong Kwon?” The teacher asks.

“Yes,” the boy answered as he walked to the other empty seat in the classroom.

He’s pretty cute…I continue to look at him as he was taking his seat. Short, stylish black hair, pretty face, and a handsome smirk…wait smirk…oh shoot, he noticed me staring at him. Did he just wink too?? How embarrassing…I turn my head back to the board. I wonder if we’ll be friends…

The lunch bell eventually rang and I told my newly made friends that I was going to go to the bathroom really fast and none of them had to accompany me. I was walking down the hallway when a particular person with jet black hair caught my eye. I wonder where he’s going…?

I started to follow him, completely forgetting that I needed to go to the bathroom. I turn around the corner when I bumped into something.

“Why are you following me?” A deep voice asked.

I look up, “Ah…umm…Hello Jiyong-shi…I’m one of your classmates…” I said nervously, trying not to make eye contact with him.

He laughed, “I remember, you were the one who couldn’t stop staring at me when I came into class today…oh and you were the one that was drooling on their desk during our history lesson.”

I quickly look up him, “No, I wasn’t!”

“Then what? Were you admiring how sturdy your desk was with your eyes closed?” he smirked.

“Ya!” I punched his arm, stop embarrassing me!

He rubbed his arm, “Dang you punch like a girl. Anyways, why were you following me?”

“Um…..” Brilliant Dara, just brilliant. The only think you can think of saying is um….

He ran his hand through his hair, “Don’t tell me…” I waited for him to finish his sentence, “you’re also here to confess?”

“HAH????” I gaped.

“I think,” he placed his finger on his chin, “Five girls have already confessed to me today, I wouldn’t be surprised if you were here for the same thing.”

I look down at my shoes, this guy! Why did I even think he was even a little bit cute.

“I see, so I was right. Can you hurry up then, I have somewhere I need to go,” he said in a bored tone.

I glared at him, and punched him once, twice, several times, “Ya! You cocky bastard! Just because you’re a little cute doesn’t mean every girl that comes up to you wants you! Don’t get conceited you freaking bastard.”

All of a sudden I fell something grab both of my wrists, “so,” he smirked, “you think I’m cute?”

That just made my body boil, “AARRG! JUST WATCH YOURSELF KWON JIYONG! I’D NEVER FALL IN LOVE WITH SUCH A CONCEITED BASTARD LIKE YOU.”

He smiled and lets go of my wrists, “Good, that makes us friends then, right?”

What in the world is he talking about? Us? Friends? Since when? I’m pretty sure I was just insulting him…how’d he jump to friends??? “What?”

“If you aren’t going to fall in love with me, then that would just make us two ordinary people and we can even become friends, right?”

I pinch the bridge of my nose, “what are you even saying? Are you ill?” I placed the back of my hand on his forehead, he must be sick in the head or something.

“Awww,” he grinned, “Such a caring friend I have here. How about we even become best friends!”

*WHACK* I saw the mark that my hand made to cheek, “you’re insane. Like I’d ever be friends, let alone best friends, with you,” I said angrily as I walked back to the classroom.

From that day on, it seemed like Jiyong would always come pester me about the most random things. Eventually I gave in…we became friends…even best friends. We shared a lot of things…one day I looked over at him in class and he winked at me. *badump badump badump* shoot...this has been happening a lot around him lately...everytime he smiles, my heart beats like crazy…I think I’m in love with Kwon Jiyong…great…I’m in love with my best friend…

After that, I started to avoid him, next thing I knew a whole month had passed. I stared out the window during lunch, I need some fresh air…I got up from my desk.

“Where are you going?” Chaerin asked.

“I just need to go for a walk,” I mutter as I walked out the door. I miss him…I should go find him…hmmm he’s usually under the oak tree in the back of the school. I’ll start there.

I walk to the back of the school towards the back of the school and hear voices.

“But Hyung,” the boy whined sounding out of breath. I’ve never seen him before…is he a 9th grader from the middle school across the street?

“I told you, you can’t come here,” Jiyong said frustrated.

Should I interrupt or maybe I should just leave… “But hyung! I need you to come! Stop avoiding me!” the younger boy whined.

“I already told you, you should leave,” Jiyong’s back was facing towards me, so he didn’t even notice I was there.

The younger boy grabbed Jiyong’s shoulders, “But don’t you love me hyung??”

“When have I ever said that??”

The younger boy suddenly made eye contact and smiled, jeez look at those eye bags. “You told me that last night, why are you so cruel to me hyung,” suddenly pulling Jiyong in a hug and tilted his head. WAIT ARE THEY KISSING???? WHAT??? JIYONG IS LIKE THAT??? HE’S GAY??? AND HE HAS A YOUNGER BOYFRIEND??

I started to run away, next thing I knew I was in the classroom again.

“How was your walk?” Chaerin asked, “And why are you so out of breath?”

“I just saw-“ Wait, what if Jiyong doesn’t want his secret known…I should at least do something as his best friend…He’ll tell people when he’s ready. And I won’t ask him about it either...that's too embarrassing! “I just saw a spider and ran back here. Ehehe,” I scratched the back of my head.

I apologized to Jiyong later on that day about avoiding him and we resumed our friendship as if nothing out of the ordinary happened. After that, I’ve seen Jiyong and the underclassman, Lee Seunghyun, several times. They were always over affectionate, more so than normal friends are…Their relationship was very strong. His boyfriend even went to the same university as us AND is under the same major as him. My feelings for Jiyong never really seemed to fade, and no guy ever really approached me. Anytime a guy seemed interested in me, they would all of a sudden apologize to me and disappear completely from my life. One thought always was kept in the back of my mind for the 7 years we’ve known each other, Not only am I in love with my best friend…I’m actually in love with my GAY best friend…and I can’t seem to escape.

[End Flashback]~


“And that’s why,” I sighed as I laid on Chaerin’s bed, “Almost half a year after I met him, I found out about his secret and have kept that secret ever since.”

I sat up and saw Chaerin stare at me with wide open.

“Are you okay? I know it’s a lot to take in…” I whispered.

“Dara,” she grabbed onto my shoulders, “I think…you’re wrong.”

“What makes you think so? I saw it in person CL-roo,” I pouted. I’ve already accepted this truth.

“I,” she bit her lip, “just know that it isn’t true…wait…Lee Seunghyun…you mean Seungri?”

I nodded, “Why?”

She shook her head, “it’s nothing.”

I shrug my shoulders, “I’m going to brush my teeth then,” I said as I walked over to the bathroom attached to her bedroom.

As I was closing the bathroom door I thought I heard, “Damn you rat, you’re doing this on purpose to torture my hubby. And curse you Jiyong for making me keep that promise about your true self.”


A/N: Thanks for reading ^__^