let me love

strictly business
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

let me love.

"Choi Jaehyun has offered his daughter's hand in marriage for you," Jungkook's father stated, as if he was casually talking about the weather.

Mr. Jeon had finally decided that he was interested in how his son was living on his own, which led to him dropping by Jungkook's (and Taehyung's) apartment completely out of the blue. Jungkook had thanked his lucky stars that they'd cleaned the house the previous day, and that they were fully clothed just watching TV together when his father unexpectedly rang the doorbell. Taehyung also thanked his lucky stars that he’d coincidentally taken all the photo frames down a couple of nights ago because he wanted to change some of the pictures in them.

Mr. Jeon had raised an eyebrow and questioned why Taehyung was there, and the blonde was about to make up something about just hanging out together or something, but Jungkook had other plans. He saw no harm in telling his father that they lived together, as 'roommates' (baby steps were good, yes). His father had looked skeptical, as if there was more he wanted to say on the topic, but Jungkook was relieved when he didn’t ask any further questions. He’d covertly inspected the living room, taken a little off-guard by its bright, colourful and cosy appearance since Jungkook’s room (as in the entire third floor) in the mansion was bare and monochrome and as simplistic as possible.

Jungkook’s father had then decided to stay for dinner for some reason (the couple didn't have any dinner-worthy ingredients so they'd just ordered takeout in a hurry and hoped it would be enough to please Mr. Jeon), which led to the three males currently having a horribly awkward meal together.

Jungkook hadn't been fully paying attention and it took a few seconds for his father's words to sink in, but when they did, they rammed into Jungkook like an eighteen-wheeler.

The clatter of a knife falling against a plate cut through the tense silence, Jungkook's head whipping up at the unexpected declaration, "What?!" he exclaimed, hoping and praying that he'd heard his father wrong, while Taehyung silently apologized for the utensil that had slipped out of his hand.

"She's a nice girl. A year younger than you. She's tall and slim and pretty, and she graduated from SNU with flying colours. She's also respectful and well-mannered, and has a spotless reputation. I think it's an excellent proposal," Mr. Jeon said in his usual calm and collected voice, cutting up his steak into equal squares, unaware (and perhaps uncaring) of the tornado of turmoil he had just plunged his son into.

"Dad, what - I'm only 24!" Jungkook sputtered out, having a hard time believing that this was actually happening.

Mr. Jeon turned to the blonde at the table, whose face had now been drained of all colour, "That's a good age to settle down, is it not Taehyung-ssi?" he mused, his stern eyes awaiting a supportive reply from the secretary.

Taehyung looked scandalised as all the attention turned to him. He tried his best to keep his expression in check, tried his best to not make it look like his world had just crashed down on him. The lump in his throat was growing bigger and bigger at quite an alarming rate, and he felt like he was shrinking under the older man's intense gaze, "I -"

One quick look at Taehyung's face and Jungkook couldn't take it anymore, "Dad, is this why you came over?!" he demanded to know, his prior confusion sweeping back to let a gush of anger wash over him.

Mr. Jeon simply nodded, unfazed by Jungkook’s volatile reaction because he’d expected it, "Yes. The Choi's will be coming over to the mansion day after tomorrow for the exchange of rings," he announced, chewing his food leisurely.

Taehyung could feel the blood rushing in his ears and pounding against his ear drums, his knuckles turning white from clutching onto the dining table so tightly, "What the ?!" Jungkook yelled, looking at his father furiously. He couldn’t believe that his father had the audacity to show up at his apartment after eight months only to spring the news of his own supposed marriage on him.

"Mind your language, son," Mr. Jeon chided, pouring himself another glass of wine, and Jungkook wanted nothing more than to grab that bottle of wine and smash it on the floor, so that it would shatter and break into a million tiny pieces, just like his heart did.

"No, I'm not going to ing mind my language," Jungkook countered, completely and utterly flabbergasted by the bull his dad was dumping on him, "You've already said yes?! How could - how could you do that without even telling me about it?!" he demanded, and all he could think about was Taehyung, Taehyung, Taehyung.

Taehyung, who had gone awfully quiet and still, and Jungkook was almost afraid to look at him.

Mr. Jeon shook his head, unamused by Jungkook’s growing aggression; after all, all he was trying to do was look out for his company his son’s future and well-being, "You should be happy. Minyoung is a good girl, maybe the best you'll be able to find,"=

", I don't want to marry her even if she's the best ing girl on the planet," Jungkook cried out, tugging his hands through his hair in frustration.

Mr. Jeon grit his teeth, not appreciating the cuss words that were easily flying out of his son’s mouth, "Don't use that tone with me,” he warned, “Is there someone else that you like? Is that why you're reacting like this?" he continued in a challenging tone.

His father's unbothered posture was beginning to thoroughly irritate Jungkook. How dare his father just sit there sipping on wine when Jungkook felt like his life was crumbling?

Jungkook took a deep breath, plucking up all the courage he could find within himself, the courage that had been repressed to the bottom of his heart for a very long time, "Yes, yes there is," he spoke up, and Taehyung looked up at him with horrified eyes, wondering what the bloody  his boyfriend was about to do, "There is someone I love with every fibre of my being, someone I can't live without, someone who I can't breathe without. Someone who makes me feel whole, makes me smile till my jaw hurts, makes me laugh till my stomach aches. Someone who I've always been able to rely on, someone who's always picked me up, someone who carries my burdensome world with me and someone who loves my annoying self," Jungkook poured his heart out with a light smile on his face, words laced in love and dripping with sincerity as his eyes finally shifted to Taehyung, "Dad, there is someone I'm in love with and I'm never going to let go of, no matter what you say or do," he concluded, fiery determinat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter