Chapter 8

Off The Record

“No, Tao,” stuttered Minseok as he pushed Tao slightly, parting their lips. “I’m sorry, this isn’t what I wanted.”

Tao immediately let go of Minseok, embarrassed and shocked at what he had done with his hyung.

“I’m so sorry!” started Tao, “I made a mistake. It meant nothing, I swear!”

Tao let go of Minseok and bolted for the bathroom, locking himself inside. Minseok, half in shock from what had just happened, went over to the door and knocked.

“Tao, it’s okay. I’m not going to eat you alive because of that. Please come out,” begged Minseok, unsure of what to make of the situation. “Look, if it makes you feel any better, I stopped crying.”

Minseok tried his best attempt at producing a laugh, getting happy when it came out sounding rather normal. His laugh must’ve been pretty convincing because he heard the lock click.

“Hyung, really, I’m sorry. I panicked and I didn’t know what else to do. In the heat of the moment, I got carried away,” reasoned Tao, slowly emerging from the bathroom to face Minseok.

“Listen, I promise not to say a word if you promise to keep your mouth shut about me crying. Deal?” asked Minseok, lifting his pinky.

Tao pinky promised Minseok, causing them both to break out into a little smile.

“So, I promise not to tell anyone, but tell me. What was that?” asked Minseok, as they both walked to their beds to sit down.

“That…that was embarrassing,” giggled Tao, as he looked at Minseok who gave him a “you know what I mean” face. “I…like you hyung.”

The sudden confession caught Minseok off guard as he tried to make sense out of it. What am I? An EXO magnet?

The thought made him smile, but he straightened out his expression into a more serious one as he looked at Tao.

“Thank you, Tao,” started Minseok. “I know it must’ve been hard to say it, but I don’t think I can return those feelings.”

“Oh,” responded Tao. “Do you have someone you already like?”

Minseok knew the answer to that question was dangerous. A single word could put his future in jeopardy, and he wasn’t sure what to say in response.

“I…I don’t have anyone that I particularly like at the moment,” lied Minseok. I have someone that I love.

***

The trip back was surprisingly easier. Tao had managed to distract Minseok and keep his mind off of things and certain people. The two had gotten considerably closer since last night. Supposedly, going through something completely embarrassing together somehow made you closer?

Minseok would occasionally glance at the back of Luhan’s head, hoping to burn a hole through it. But all in all, Minseok felt better than he had in days now that he had a friend to talk to. He knew how Tao felt about him, and that somehow made him feel secure.

As they reached Seoul, all of the boys said their goodbyes to each other.

“Hyung, do you mind if I give you a completely innocent hug?” chuckled Tao, turning a little red but maintaining his dignity.

“You don’t have to ask,” whispered Minseok as he embraced the younger boy. “Thank you for staying with me when I needed it the most. Let’s hang out soon outside of rehearsals.”

At that statement, Tao lit up like a bulb on Diwali. Minseok gave him a reassuring smile as they parted ways.

Heading over to his car, Minseok glanced at Sehun who was in the middle of giving Luhan a hug goodbye. Minseok felt an extremely tiny ounce of jealousy as he watched the two.

. He’s my little brother. Why am I feeling like this?

***

“That trip was really fun!” said Sehun as he plopped down next to his brother on the bed. “We have to do it again soon.”

“That trip was…interesting to say the least,” laughed Minseok as he thought about the events that had occurred.

“You and Tao got really close, huh? You two looked like you were having a lot of fun together,” commented Sehun.

“Did we? Well, the kid has a heart of gold. He’s pretty cool,” replied Minseok, wondering if Luhan had also seen them having fun together. Would he feel jealous?

“So, uhh…I want to ask you about something,” Sehun suddenly said with a serious tone.

“Ask away,” said Minseok, a little hesitant because he was not used to Sehun being so serious.

“I wanted to ask you about Luhan,” said Sehun quietly.

Minseok felt his pulse begin to speed up as his heart started beating faster in his chest. Luhan? Why…?

“Is he a good person? I mean, I’ve known him for two years because he’s my member. But, we never really talked much before. He always hung around Kris and Yixing hyung. I’ve also noticed him hang around you a lot, so maybe you could tell me what kind of person he is?” asked Sehun.

Minseok suddenly knew exactly why Sehun was showing a sudden interest in Luhan. He knew his little brother wasn’t curious of him out of general curiosity. He knew his brother felt something about Luhan. And the thought made Minseok’s mouth dry, unable to form words.

“I know he’s a good person because he’s always taking care of the younger members. I just wanted to know more about him, that’s all,” said Sehun, jerking Minseok out of his daze.

No. Not you too, Sehun! Stay far away from him. You can’t like him!

“He’s….a good person,” said Minseok, unable to stop the words from spilling out. He’s a terrible person! “Why do you ask?” I know you are starting to like him! You can’t like him….because I love him….

“I think I like him, hyung,” said Sehun shyly.

Minseok knew it was too late to say anything now. Too late to take back what he said. Too late to claim Luhan as his own. His brother had approached him first, asked him about Luhan, and he willingly told him that Luhan was a good guy. God, I’m such a ing idiot. Now what do I do?

***

Minseok heard the faint knocking on the door as he got up to go open it. His parents had returned from their visit to their relatives. Minseok let his parents inside, not failing to notice the small look of disappointment that had crossed his mom’s face as she looked at Minseok, reminding her of what had happened.

Minseok realized she hadn’t told his dad because he didn’t act unfamiliar or strange when he was pulled into a bear hug. Minseok held onto his dad, taking in his husky cologne smell from the jacket. He suddenly wanted to curl up like a little boy and sleep in his dad’s lap like he used to when he was younger.

 He never wanted this moment to end. But it did when his dad pulled away to hug Sehun. Minseok glanced at his mom as she set down their bags and went to go hug Sehun. Minseok felt a little annoyed at her blatant avoidance of her eldest son.

Minseok knew she was mad, but couldn’t she just ing pretend like everything was alright in front of dad and Sehun?

***

After skipping out on dinner, Minseok tried to distract himself by playing some World of Warcraft. They had recently added the new expansion, but not even that was enough to take away his anger.

Luhan was mad. His mom was mad. Sehun had developed feelings for his baby’s father. And Minseok was the one who was pregnant.

I’m the one who should be mad! Why the am I being treated being treated so harshly? I didn’t commit murder. I didn’t anyone. I made a mistake and got pregnant. Why am I being shunned out?

The tears had begun to flow, and Minseok didn’t even bother wiping them away.

everyone. I’m so sick of being pushed aside and treated like scum.

Minseok whipped out his phone and dialed Tao’s number.

“Hey, Tao. Are you busy? Could we go somewhere to eat? I’m really hungry?” asked Minseok, as Tao confirmed the dinner plan by saying he would sneak out without their manager knowing.

At least Minseok had one person who cared about him, and he was going to take advantage of any support he could get. 

 

************

a/n-: it was a bit of a filler chapter~