Chapter 6

Off The Record

The rehearsal went as smoothly as Minseok had hoped, save for the nagging feeling in the pit of his stomach.

He knew Luhan was ignoring him. He understood why Luhan looked angry, but he didn’t want to accept that fact.

Minseok felt dejected and hurt as he tried to direct the eleven boys on the stage with a straight face. He could feel the tears begin to form but he tried to blink them away as quick as possible. He couldn’t cry in front of the boys without any reason. They would become suspicious and want an explanation.

But most of all, he couldn’t bear to show his vulnerability in front of Luhan.             

“Hyung, we all decided on Hot Pot today. Is that okay with you?” asked Yixing with his dimpled-smile.

“I’m sorry guys, but I’m going to have to say no. My parents flew in to visit yesterday and I want to spend as much time with them as I possibly can,” replied Minseok, hoping the tiny growl in his stomach wasn’t audible because he very much so wanted to join the Hot Pot party. However, the idea didn’t seem so good when he realized Luhan would be there, and that in itself was a red flag for Minseok. “You guys have fun. I’m going to head home! Sehun, are you coming home with me?”

“Yeah, let me grab my stuff really quick,” replied Sehun as he darted off stage to grab his bags.

Minseok said his goodbyes to all of the boys as they all thanked him for the rehearsal. He could almost feel Luhan’s eyes on him, but he was too scared to look because of the disappointment he might feel if he wasn’t.

“Sehun, say hi to your parents from me!” said Luhan as Sehun came scrambling back on stage. “I wanna come over and meet them soon.”

Minseok felt his blood curl as he heard Luhan speak for the first time in the whole day. Is he doing this on purpose? Using my brother as a medium to piss me off?

“Let’s go, Sehun,” said Minseok in a cold voice as he turned and left the stage. He could almost feel Luhan’s smirk on his back, and he wished he could punch it right off.

***

Minseok always knew how big of a baby Sehun was, but seeing him interact with his parents brought him on a whole new level of cringe worthy.

“Mommy, could you cook me my favorite soy sauce crabs today? Minseokie hyung’s just don’t taste the same,” whined Sehun with a pout that Minseok couldn’t help but grin at.

His baby brother might have been nineteen years old, but seeing him sit on his mom’s lap reminded him of the old times when Sehun was little. Minseok was five years older, but Sehun was always the taller and well-built out of the two. Minseok had completely received their mom’s petite genes whereas Sehun was a total clone of their dad.

“Anything for you, baby! I’m sad that I can’t be here to take care of my boys every day. I feel so sorry towards you both. I hope you’re taking good care of yourselves without us. As soon as we get the chance, I want us to be a family again!” said their mom as she got up to gather the ingredients.

“When will that be, mom? Sehun cries practically every night because he misses you guys so much,” teased Minseok as he went into the kitchen to help his mom.

“I’m glad he does! It makes up for your lack of emotions haha,” said their mom as she laughed at the protests coming from Sehun in the living room.

“The company is expanding their Korean office. So if things work out, they might just end up calling me back here to run things,” called their dad from the living room.

“That’s great news mom! It’s really been a while since we all felt like a family. I miss it too…” mumbled Minseok, not really used to expressing his emotions because look where that’s gotten him.

As they all sat around for dinner, Minseok’s stomach growled loudly enough for everyone to laugh at. The Kim family began passing around the various dishes that covered the table.

However, as soon as the soy sauce crabs made their way towards Minseok, he caught the sudden whiff and dry heaved. The smell was suddenly more unbearable than when his mom was preparing it in the kitchen earlier.

“Minni—” called his mom as they all watched Minseok dive for the closest bathroom and empty the contents in his stomach.

As he walked back outside, he noticed Sehun and his dad were completely oblivious to what had just happened, but he recognized the strange look that occupied his mom’s eyes as she watched him sit down and return to eating his food.

He knew it was a look of suspicion, and Minseok could almost read the thoughts that were running through her mind. It can’t be that obvious, right?

***

“Can I come in?” asked Sehun from behind Minseok’s bedroom door.

“Yeah, come in brat,” replied Minseok as he lay in bed. His mood for watching television or getting on the internet had completely dissipated lately as he struggled to balance the rampant thoughts in his mind. He felt so secluded from everyone and everything, and he couldn’t find the motivation to bring himself to do anything.

“The members and I are planning an overnight trip to the country-side. We all decided we should enjoy a night off to relax away from all the stress, media, fans, etc. We’ll play games and have a lot of fun before the concert starts because then it’ll be endless public events and shows,” explained Sehun, giving slight puppy eyes.

“Umm, I’m not really feeling up for it. Plus, mom and dad are here so I should take care of them. You go and have fun,” reasoned Minseok. He knew exactly why the trip was a bad idea. One word: Luhan.

“Hyuunngggg! You’ve been really moody lately! You never want to go anywhere or do anything. You rot in bed practically every time I see you! You’re coming with us and that’s freaking final. Plus, mom and dad already told me that they’re visiting Uncle Kim’s family that day, so you have no excuse,” wailed Sehun, trying to convince his older brother.

Minseok knew he had been really distant lately, and he missed the days when everyone got together to have fun. Maybe a day out in the fresh country air would help him clear his thoughts.

“When is everyone planning to go?” asked Minseok, groaning a little.

“It’s tomorrow!” replied Sehun cheerfully as he hopped out of the room in excitement.

Oh.

***

The moment Minseok had been dreading since dinner finally came as he heard his mom’s soft voice call from the other side of the door.

“Baby, can I come in?” asked his mom. Minseok got up to open the door and they both walked to the bed and sat together. “I just wanted to ask how everything’s been going. Are you and Sehun really okay here by yourselves?”

“Yeah mom, we’re doing fine,” answered Minseok, unsure of what else to say. He knew his mom’s words had an underlying meaning, but he was planning on playing dumb until she asked specifically.

“Well that’s good to know, sweetie. How is everything else? I mean, have you met anyone? I just never heard you mention any word of dating or liking someone,” asked his mother again, the specific words dancing on the edge of her tongue but not quite sure how to say them.

Mom, I know what you’re getting at. Please don’t ask…..

“I’m not dating right now,” replied Minseok, glancing downwards in anticipation of the next question.

“What happened earlier….it reminded me of something I used to do,” said his mom quietly. Minseok looked towards her, already knowing the next sentence that was about to come out. “It’s when I was pregnant with you and Sehun.”

Minseok felt his heart lurch into his throat, stopping him from saying the words he wanted to say in response. No! I swear I’m not pregnant! Mom, it’s just a stomach bug…I’m coming down from a recent cold virus…I swallowed hydrogen peroxide...

“I’m pregnant….mommy…” Minseok chose to say in a tiny whisper, out of all of the great excuses that had crossed his mind.  

 

***********

Author's Note: Dun dun duuuunnnnn. Y'all may or may not hate me for what's coming >.>