Chapter 7

Off The Record

The cool air conditioner blowing on Minseok’s face was what got him through the bus ride to the countryside.

In a rented, cramped bus they had gotten last minute, thirteen people fit just comfortably enough for Minseok to remain calm and not lash out in irritation. He had one of the air conditioning vents all to himself because so help him God, everyone in the bus would have been decomposing in their graves by now.

How could boys be so rowdy! Minseok had a hard time remembering if he was ever so loud and obnoxious just a few years back. Or maybe his hormones were just making him extra sensitive. Either way, Minseok groaned under his breath as he prayed for their destination to arrive soon.

Minseok had regretted the idea of joining the boys on the overnight trip at first, but now he welcomed it after what had taken place the night before. Minseok knew his mom was angry and disappointed after he admitted his secret to her. He understood what she felt, but he had hoped for a better response rather than a cold glare and a slap.

The slap was unforeseen. It wasn’t a hard slap. It was actually very light when Minseok really thought about it. But what hurt more was the fact that his mom clearly disapproved of the situation. She had not said any words. Instead, she managed to express each emotion through that light slap that still stung like a bee on Minseok’s cheek.

***

As they all reached the hotel where they would be spending the night, Minseok sighed in relief as he noticed two beds in his room. Two people per room. I get my own bed. This is Heaven.

He wasn’t sure who his roommate was as he hadn’t looked over the list the manager had brought with him. The list had six pairs of twelve people, all designated to a member. The pair was to be their partner throughout the whole trip, and that is who they were going to do each activity with.

Minseok was too scared to look at the list, fearing the possibility of being paired with Luhan. Minseok would rather bury himself alive than spend a whole day playing random games with the person who hated him most.

“Hyung!” said a voice that had entered the hotel room.

Minseok breathed a sigh of relief as he recognized Tao’s cheery voice.

“Tao, you’re my partner. Thank God!” exclaimed Minseok, wanting to hug the younger boy but restraining himself to avoid any awkwardness.

“Yeah, I’m glad too,” giggled Tao as he set down his bags by his bed. “Manager hyung said for everyone to gather downstairs in an hour after we’ve all settled down and eaten. Let’s go check out the buffet bar, I’m starving!”

Minseok knew they both would get along just fine as they rushed downstairs to eat, with Minseok feeling as though he could consume thirty chickens and still have room left for a whole cow.

As they loaded up their plates, all of the other boys were already getting situated at the tables. Minseok and Tao walked up to the table and found a place to sit right beside Kyungsoo and Jongin, who were partnered up as well.

“This is going to be fun! Manager hyung said he has a lot of activities planned out for the day. He said there’s even a prize at the end for the winning team,” said Jongin as he dug into his food.

“Really? What kind of prize?” asked Tao, curious as to what they could possibly win.

“He wouldn’t tell us. He just said it’s a surprise that we all would really want,” answered Kyungsoo.

“That was a long ride. My still hurts from sitting in that bus,” said Kris as he joined the group with his partner, Yixing.

“Agreed. Who decided to come here anyways? There were a lot of places closer to Seoul that we could’ve gone to,” said Baekhyun, with Chanyeol trailing after him.

Minseok listened to the boys talk while his mind wandered over the thought of Luhan. Who was he paired up with?

Minseok immediately received the answer as he caught a glimpse of Luhan walking towards the table, obviously avoiding his eyes. Minseok’s heart dropped a little when he saw Sehun emerge from behind and take a seat beside Luhan.

Is this list ing rigged? Why, of all people, my little brother?

Minseok shifted his glance towards his plate, forcing himself to finish the food as he had suddenly lost his appetite.

***

“Okay boys, last team member remaining gets the first win of the day!” said Manager hyung, his voice booming over the megaphone.

Minseok slowly picked up one leg, lowered his eyes, and locked them on his first target. Heh…child’s play.

As soon as the whistle was heard, Minseok hopped furiously as fast as his little leg could carry him, and shoved his knee into Jongdae’s back, knocking the boy over.

“Hyung, you’re so competitive!” whined Jongdae, as he rubbed his elbow from where he scraped it.

Minseok didn’t hear the whining as he hunted down his next target, Kyungsoo. The poor little boy didn’t stand a chance as Minseok bulldozed over him and made his way towards Joonmyun. And Yixing. And Baekhyun.

One by one, the boys dropped like flies as Minseok flailed around, trying to knock everyone over. This game of chicken fight was no joke.

Minseok felt a slight nudge from behind as he whipped around and steadied his balance, glaring with his lowered eyes. Who dares---

Minseok caught himself looking into Luhan’s eyes as he felt his stomach flip. His knees suddenly felt weak as he almost dropped the leg he was holding, almost causing him to be out of the game.

“I don’t want to hit you too hard. You know, because of reasons,” said Luhan in a low voice, giving Minseok a small glare.

Minseok was in the middle of contemplating on whether to poison Luhan’s dinner that night or stab him in the shower, when he was knocked down harshly by Sehun, who was cackling like a mad man.

“Yes! Luhan, we won!” yelled Sehun, while Minseok calmed down the rage that was coursing through his veins. How dare Luhan sneer at me? Who the hell does he think he is? This is just as much his fault as it is mine.

Minseok shot Luhan a cold glare as he looked as the younger boy’s face, which had suddenly flashed a brief look of….concern? Uneasiness? Worry?

But just as suddenly as the look crossed Luhan’s face, it was replaced with a cold, fake happy one as he celebrated his win with Sehun.

Minseok was too livid to process the look he had seen on Luhan’s face. you Luhan. I hate you.

***

A few more hours passed and a few more games were played before the boys were exhausted from the hot day. Yixing and Kris had won at the end, winning a full day pass to go out and do whatever they wanted. All the other boys had protested at the unfairness, but quieted down when manager hyung pointed out that they would probably be recognized before the got the chance to do anything.

 It was getting darker as they all settled outside with their barbecue set up. Tao and Sehun began barbecuing the meat as the other boys helped set out plates and drinks.

Minseok sat in his chair, slumped down to avoid anyone’s gaze as he concentrated on his phone. Browsing the internet had never been more interesting when he was trying to avoid someone. He looked through article after article, not knowing exactly what to look for.

Maybe a slight hint at a scandal in EXO? A slight clue pointing the media towards his pregnancy? Minseok continued looking, sighing in relief as no such article popped up that gave away his deepest, darkest secret.

“I’m not feeling that hungry guys. I’m going to go up and rest,” said Minseok as he got up and left the dinner area. He knew he was being a killjoy, but his mood had been ruined after his brief encounter with Luhan earlier. It was the first time Luhan had spoken to him in days, and what he said had really gotten to Minseok.

Minseok wanted to cry at the unfairness of it all. How could Luhan treat him like an insect? After all, it took two to tango, and Minseok was the one suffering through the whole ordeal by himself. The fact that he couldn’t tell anybody made Minseok feel more alone than ever. He thought of how his mom had reacted, and he felt the hot tears roll down his cheeks.

He didn’t realize how much his face had been streaked by his tears until he caught a glimpse of himself in the shiny elevator door.

“Hyung,” called Tao as he rushed over to Minseok, who desperately tried to wipe his face to avoid a confrontation. “Hyung? What’s wrong? Are you hurt? Why are you crying?”

, too late.

“Tao, um, it’s nothing,” mumbled Minseok, hoping his voice was strong enough to sound normal. “What’re you doing here? What about the barbecue?”

“Oh…um, I brought you some in case you were hungry,” said Tao, handing Minseok a plate who graciously accepted it with a stomach growl. “Do you want me to call manager hyung? If you’re hurting, we can go to the hospital.”

“No! It’s nothing, Tao. I’m just really stressed from everything. I didn’t even realize there were tears running down my cheeks,” lied Minseok, trying to produce a small laugh that came out sounding like Godzilla’s last cry. Damn, what an ugly sound.

“If you don’t mind, then could I come upstairs with you? It doesn’t feel right leaving you alone,” said Tao shyly.

***

“Hyung, would you please tell me what’s wrong? I’m starting to get scared,” said Tao, reaching for some more tissues to hand Minseok.

Minseok had silently sobbed all the way up the elevator ride, down the hallway, and now he sat on the bed, still sobbing silently. He wanted to desperately tell Tao everything, but the boy wouldn’t understand. He couldn’t give away his secret so easily, much less to another EXO member.

“Please Tao, it’s nothing. I assure you-hic­- I’m not crying because I’m hurt,” said Minseok weakly, crying in the new tissues he took from Tao.

“There has to be a reason why you’re crying! Who does this for fun?” asked Tao, trying to make sense of the whole situation. “I’m going to get Sehun, I don’t care what you say. He’ll probably know what happened.”

“NO! Tao, stop!” Minseok yelled as he leaped off the bed to try and hold Tao from leaving the room. “Please, keep this between us, please….”

“Hyung….” whispered Tao, as he found himself being back hugged by the elder boy.

Tao whipped around and planted a kiss on Minseok’s lips.

 

********

Author’s note: Thank you everyone so much for reading :] enjoy!