Let's Live While Doing Things We Like

One Shot

Sehun

Around five in the morning, I walked Yoona to her apartment. Walking on the busy streets, side by side, surrounded by the colorful lights of Seoul, I felt at ease. She was just my type- fun, bubbly, and kind. I wondered if I was her type too…

But then I remembered the gang- would they accept Yoona? Should I even think about bringing her into my life? I was unsure of everything, however, when I looked at her; I knew that I wanted to be with her. She was the prettiest girl I’d ever met, with her long brown hair that had a few streaks of red, and tall, lean body.

“That was a crazy night,” breathed Yoona. She ran her hands through her silky hair and got her keys from her sparkly purse.

I grinned. “It was my first time clubbing.”

Her eyes widened. “Are you serious? I felt like you were so used to it, as if you’d danced there a hundred times!”

“I told you, I’m a dance machine and a music lover.”

“Yeah…we’re pretty similar, right?”

“Definitely…so…” I scratched the back of my neck nervously. Was it too early to get her number? Would she think I was a player if I asked? I decided not to ask, for now. “I think we should do it again sometime.”

“We should,” agreed Yoona. “I work at the club every night from 10 to 2 AM.”

I nodded. “I’ll visit you there. Goodnight, Yoona.”

“Goodnight, Sehun.” She closed the apartment door behind her. I heard another’s girl voice squeal in excitement, and she said something but I couldn’t make it out.

The voices trailed off as I went down the stairs and onto the street again. I knew I should restrain myself- I shouldn’t have told her I wanted to see her again. But I couldn’t remember the last time a girl had seemed so interesting to me, or the last time I’d had a real crush. Mostly my months had been full of business with the gang.

Being with her would only put her in danger, put her in my thrilling world with the gang. We seemed to be living on different planets when I really thought about it.

But…I couldn’t help it. I’d never had any self-control anyway. Maybe our story was just beginning.

At home, the gang was doing what they were always doing during free time, once the business for the day had been completed.

Luhan was practicing Korean (he’d come from China to live abroad with us for a year) with Suho (our leader) helping him. D.O was in the kitchen cooking rice and meat with Baekhyun, and Chanyeol and Kai were playing video games. The six of us without Luhan made up Exo-K. Our other half which also consisted of six members, called Exo-M, had four Chinese members: Kris (the leader), Tao, Luhan, Lay, and two Korean members, Xiumin and Chen. When all twelve of us were together, we were Exo.

“How was your first time clubbing?” Suho asked.

Luhan shot me a disapproving look. “He wouldn’t even let me join…I had to stay here studying…”

I rolled my eyes. “Your Korean is already so good. What do you need to learn?”

Suho cleared his throat. “I’m waiting…”

“I met a girl,” I announced, and headed to the refrigerator to grab a water bottle.

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows, his gaze still on the TV screen. “Just a girl? Aren’t you going to tell us about this certain, mysterious girl?”

“Yeah, what is she like?” Baekhyun pressed.

I sat next to Luhan and sighed. “Her name’s Yoona. She’s my ideal type. She’s so pretty…”

Kai snickered. “Sounds like you’re already in love, bro.”

Luhan set his Korean textbook onto the table and turned to me. “But Sehun, do you think she’ll be okay to hang out with us?”

I bit my lip and looked at Suho. “Please, let me get to know her. I’m asking for your permission, Suho.”

He adjusted his collared blue shirt. “Sure, but be careful. And find out about her family, friends, and background. We need to be careful, you know.”

“I’ll do that,” I promised. “Thank you.”

 

Yoona

A few weeks later

“Do you have any siblings?” I asked.

“I have an older brother but he’s in the army. My parents passed away in a car accident when I was two. I used to live with my aunt but when I graduated from high school, I moved out.” Sehun ran a hand through his styled brown hair.

“So now you live with the rest of Exo right?”

“Yes,” he replied, “They’re my family now.”

Sehun had told me about the gang, but I didn’t have a problem with it. I was used to that scene, actually, because I used to be close to a different gang…

Besides, it wasn’t like they killed people for no reason. People didn’t understand that they weren’t as scary as they seemed. And they might seem intidmating, but they were actually really nice and caring. They took good care of each other. So far, Exo was the best gang I’d met. Sehun introduced me to the members a few days ago, at their apartment suite. They were trying to make it big and make their name known all over the city to the other gangs. The leader Suho told me once they made it big and earned more money, Exo could buy a house.

Kai and D.O seemed quiet and mysterious, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were very lively and talkative, and Suho gave the impression of being a responsible, gentle leader.

During the past few weeks I had let Sehun get to know me better, opening up to him easily because I thought he was a good listener and was a little quiet too, so he usually let me talk more.

I’d told him that I escaped an arranged marriage when I was twenty, by moving out and living in a rooftop house with my best friend Yuri. We both graduated together from the Korean National University of Arts and were focusing on careers in music. She was the guitarist for a rock band called Skylight, and I was a DJ at the club. Yuri and I both had low income, but we were happy doing what we loved.

Anyways, Sehun asked me out last night to go on our first date, to get bubble tea at the local cafe. I’d met him two weeks ago- but why did it suddenly feel like we’d known each other a bit longer?

“Tell me about your family,” Sehun smiled. He looked great in his studded black leather jacket and designer jeans.

“I was an only child…and you already know about the whole arranged marriage thing. Hmm…well, my childhood was fun. I was always happy, and…it was a game with my friends, but I used to go in the boys’ bathroom a lot.” I laughed.

He snickered. “Aigoo, Yoona…You were mischievous even as a kid?”

I blushed. “I guess so…”

“Were you close to your parents?”

“Kind of…my dad was strict with me, teaching me piano when I was five and my mother taught me housework to be a good wife later on. Even so, I was a happy girl. I loved rebelling against them and playing pranks on people with my friends, Taeyeon and Sooyoung. We had wild times together…and the last time I saw them was when we graduated high school.” I sighed at the memory.

Sehun frowned. “Why? What happened?”

“We went our separate ways and lost touch. Taeyeon said she was going to study abroad in London for university. Sooyoung got married right out of high school. She was in love, and I always wondered when I would fall in love too. My wish came true a few years later…and I regretted ever wishing for it.”

“But don’t you think it’s better to experience something, rather than not experience it at all?” He leaned forward. “We should make the best out of what we have. Let’s live while doing things we like.”

I glanced up at him in surprise. “Really? You think so?”

He nodded. “Yeah. And I want to make the most out of this, too.” Sehun reached over the table to put his hand over mine. “Be mine. I want to keep looking at you like this. And…I want us to be happy together. I’ve seen how you are, listened to your words. Maybe you’ve been hurt in the past, but I won’t hurt you. Trust me.”

My cheeks felt hot and my heart was pounding with nervousness. Why was I so nervous? I’d been confessed to before. I was an adult, but why didn’t I act like it? I was a fool. My heart was small, and got so easily filled up with his words.

“I-I like you too,” I managed to say. “I feel comfortable with you.”

He stood up and slung one arm across my shoulders as we walked out the café door and onto the street. “You’ll be happy with me. Just wait and see.”