Second Chances

One Shot

Yoona

Six months later

Time had been passing almost too quickly. Without realizing it, six months had gone by, and G-Dragon was admitted into the hospital to live out his last few days. I visited him daily, bringing him food and spending time with him so he wouldn’t feel lonely.

It had been half a year since I’d last talked to or seen Sehun. Sometimes I missed him, and couldn’t sleep because he was on my mind. I wondered if he thought of me too, or if I was the only one regretting the breakup. Had he moved on by now? Or was he still waiting for me? I’d made a promise to myself to find him when this was all over. But at the same time, I still had feelings for G-Dragon. He had been my first love, and was such a huge part of my life. I couldn’t imagine how it would be without him. We went through so many hardships together, and even when I’d hated him, I’d still cared about him. And now, since he didn’t have many days left to live, I had to stay by his side. I couldn’t just leave him.

“What are you thinking about?” G-Dragon asked quietly.

I snapped out of my thoughts and turned my attention back to him. “Oh, nothing. I’m just tired. It’s almost lunchtime- are you hungry? I can go bring you something to eat.”

He could barely lift up his head from his pillow. “…No…I don’t have much of an appetite. I don’t feel well…”

I leaned forward, holding his hand. It felt so cold against mine. “Do you want me to call the doctor or nurse in to check on you?”

The corners of his mouth slightly lifted up. He held onto my hand weakly. “No…just stay here with me. I don’t think…I don’t think I can endure another day.”

I nodded. “Of course I’ll stay. I think Big Bang should be here too.”

“Please call them,” he whispered. “But first…let me say goodbye to you.”

I gazed down at the white tiled floor. “I don’t know how to say it…”

“I don’t want to hear a sad farewell. I know you don’t love me…and that’s okay…I’m just glad you’ve stayed with me. Thank you, Yoona.”

I looked at him and forced a smile on my face. “You’re welcome. No matter what anybody else says, and even though a lot has happened between us, you’re still a special person to me.” I kissed his cheek. “You’ll always be my dragon.”

The rest of Big Bang came quickly after I called. G-Dragon wanted to say goodbye to them, so I went out of the room to leave them alone, and waited in the hallway. I sat down on a chair and stared at my phone at Sehun’s contact number. I pondered over whether to call him or not for a few minutes, and finally decided to do it.

I pressed the call button, holding the phone up to my ear with a shaky hand. I wished desperately for him to pick up…

“Hello?” It was Sehun.

Hearing his voice, I wanted to cry for some reason. I guessed I’d been missing him more than I’d let myself admit.

“Hello? Yoona? Yoona, is that you? I can hear you breathing on the other end.”

“Yeah, it’s me. Hi.”

There was a pause, and then he said, “How have you been? I really miss you.”

I held back my tears. “I’m hanging in there. What about you? And how are the others?”

“They’re doing well…but I’m not. I miss you,” he repeated.

I sighed heavily, leaning my head back against the wall. “I miss you too, Sehun. I’m sorry.”

“Are you with G-Dragon?”

“Yes. He doesn’t have much time left. Actually, I think today might be his last day.”

“Why? Is he hurt?”

 “He has liver cancer. The doctor told him he only had six months left to live if he didn’t get treatment, and it’s been six months now. He’s been feeling really ill lately, so he’s staying in the hospital.”

“I didn’t know that. You should’ve told me, Yoona. Is that why you left me? Were you just staying with him out of pity? Or…do you really love him?”

I shut my eyes. “I…I love only you. It’s just that…I couldn’t leave him by himself when he was ill and going to die soon. He promised not to hurt you and Exo and Yuri if I took care of him. All he wanted was for me to stay by his side, so I have.”

“Where are you right now? Are you in the hospital?”

“Yeah. Can you come here?”

“I’m on my way.” He hung up.

I waited for him, still holding back my tears. I don’t know how long I sat there like that, but then a beeping noise started and nurses and the doctor hurried to G-Dragon’s room. I followed them inside, dread filling me. G-Dragon was lying in the hospital bed, motionless, his eyes closed. He wasn’t breathing. I stumbled backwards, and Daesung caught me.

“You have to leave the room,” one of the nurses told us, and Big Bang and I went out to wait in the hallway again.

Suddenly I heard footsteps running down the hall, and I turned around to see Sehun coming towards me. I threw my arms around him, finally bursting into a sob. When I pulled back, he wiped away my tears.

“Is he…?”

I glanced back at the closed door. “I don’t know…he might be gone…”

T.O.P punched the wall. “Don’t leave me yet, G-Dragon…I can’t lead Big Bang by myself…”

The door opened then, and the doctor and nurses walked out. The doctor faced us with a solemn expression and took his mask and gloves off.

“I’m sorry to say this, but your friend is gone,” he said. “He was in a lot of pain.”

Taeyang covered his face with one hand. “At least his suffering is over…oh, G-Dragon…”

Sehun slowly pulled me close to him. “I’m sorry,” he whispered. “Are you okay? Do you want to go outside?”

I nodded. “Yes. Let’s go.” I bowed to the doctor and Big Bang. “I’m sorry for your loss. May G-Dragon rest in peace. I’ll go now, but I’ll stop by later at the house.”

Sehun and I left the hospital, and he walked me to my apartment. “Hold my hand,” he said suddenly, as he stopped walking.

I glanced up at him. “Huh?”

“Take my hand.” He reached out to me.

I slowly put my hand in his, our fingers intertwining. “It’s been awhile…”

“I thought I would die without you. I thought I couldn’t survive if you weren’t by my side anymore, Yoona.” Sehun smiled, but his eyes were sad. “I guess the time we spent apart…changed me somehow. I feel different.”

“I think you’re different too,” I agreed. He was right- he’d matured during the past six months. He seemed a little older and a little wiser.

He walked me up the stairs to my apartment. “Are you going to attend his funeral?”

I sighed, fishing my keys out of my purse. “I think so. It just wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t go.”

Sehun nodded. “I’ll come by tomorrow so we can go together.”

“You want to come too?” I asked, surprised.

“I’m starting to think that maybe G-Dragon wasn’t such a bad person after all…He only loved you. That was his mistake.”

“It was my mistake too.”

“Don’t worry about that anymore, okay? For now, just go inside and rest.” He kissed my forehead. “I’m going now. Bye, Yoona.”

I watched him walk away. I knew I needed to hold onto him this time. I didn’t want to make the same mistakes again and lose Sehun. From now on, I was going to become a better girlfriend, and I wouldn’t lie or keep secrets from him.

I prayed that our relationship would last a long time.