Chapter 6

Consider Me

 

You tapped your feet on the ground while humming around the alley. It’s been 15 minutes since you lingered around, waiting for Mark. You mumbled to yourself on how you wish Mark would show up real soon. Another 10 minutes passed and you finally saw the red haired boy slightly running towards you. You made a face and snickered at him. He stopped in front of you and grinned innocently.

“Hello!” Mark raised his palm.

You blew your lips towards his palm and pouted. You began walking ahead, leaving him behind.

“Eyyy~ I’m sorry.” Mark nagged while running towards you and walked beside you. “I overslept again.” He pouted.

“Forget it.” You answered shortly.

He jumped to your front and squatted down, his back facing you.

“Get on.” He commanded.

You stood there confusedly while he sheepishly smiled at you.

“Get on, I’ll give you a piggy back ride since you’ve waited me for half an hour.” Mark said sweetly. “Your legs must be tired.” He tilted his head, telling you to get on his back.

You unconsciously let out a huge smile while giggling and you jumped to his back. You wrapped your hands around his neck and he held your legs securely.

“Oh my God, what have you eaten?!” Mark playfully groaned. “You are as heavy as an elephant.” He pretended to stumbled, making you scared of falling down.

“Ya! I didn’t eat anything!” You pulled some strands of his hair and tighten your grip on him.

Mark just chuckled and continued to walk.

“Hey, I’m afraid that your fans might see us.” You whispered to him, glancing around.

“Babo, this neighborhood is really located in the corner of the city, no one will recognize me. Most of the neighbors here are aunties and uncles.” He explained.

You just nodded silently, resting your chin on his right shoulder.

“By the way, where are we going?” You asked.

“I’m bringing you to…” He paused.

“Where? Where?” You asked excitedly.

“Nevermind.” He teased.

“Ahh~ Tell me where are we going.” You nagged.

“No way.” He shortly answered.

You wiggled hard to go off his back, causing him to stumble and shocked with your sudden moves. You stomped your feet on the ground and stared at him.

“Help! Someone is kidnapping me!” You shouted with your eyes closed, like a little kid. “HELP!”

“________!” Mark was shocked at your sudden scream and put his hand on your mouth.

“Tell me where we are going.” You glared at him with puppy eyes.

“Aish, fine!” He gave up. “We are going to the zoo.”

“Zoo?” You beamed. “Yeay! Let’s meet your long lost brothers there.” You teased and linked your arm with his.

Mark followed your gesture and walked beside you.

“My brothers?” He snickered. “Hello, they’re your family.” He teased back.

“If they’re my family, then so are we!” You stuck your tongue out.

 

MARK’S POV

I froze at her words. Family? Us? As in brother and sister? Or… I shook my head vigorously and tried to shoo away my thoughts. I didn’t want to ruin this day with my selfishness. I wanted to spend a quality time with her. At least before she’s someone else’s.

“Mark…” She called me, breaking my thoughts.

“Yeah?” I looked at her.

“I’m…” She bit her lips, her face was really serious.

I was nervous that she would say things that would break my heart. I held my breath and clenched my fist tightly.

“I’m…” She looked up at me. “…hungry.”

I gulped and looked away awkwardly. I swore to myself that I didn’t know what to do with this girl. How could she set a very serious face with such nerve wrecking tone only to say that she’s hungry.

“Aish, I thought there’s something wrong.” I flicked her forehead with my finger.

She just smiled sheepishly and continued to walk.

“Alright, let’s eat when we get there.” I suggested and she beamed.

We hopped on the bus and rode for 45 minutes until we reached the zoo. It was holiday so it’s crowded with families who brought their children. I began to feel insecure and hung my head low. I was afraid that there would be people who recognized me and created a scandal, since I went there with _________ alone.

“Hey, are you okay?” _________ tapped my arm and looked at me with concerned eyes.

“Yeah, it’s just there are too many people here.” I shifted my gaze to her and smiled.

She looked around and also thought what I had been thinking. She read my mind.

“I-is that okay, for you?” She asked worriedly.

“Of course, don’t worry.” I gave her another assuring smile. “Most of them are parents with little children, they won’t know me.”

She nodded and smiled. I led the way to a fast food restaurant near the entrance. She kept on grabbing her stomach while looking enthusiastically at the menu. We finally ordered two complete meals of double stack bacon burgers. She sat down across me and her eyes twinkled at the food. I enjoyed my view a lot. She was as adorable as a kid and as cute as a baby. Seeing her eyes sparkled like that made me smile unconsciously.

“Let’s eat!” She clapped her hands and began munching on her burger.

“Eat slowly or you will choke.” I nagged while sipping my coke.

She just nodded and focused on eating. moved non-stop, biting her burger and fries. I ate while looking at her cautiously. Her beautiful hair fell down perfectly, her eyes shone brightly and her lips were looking sweet like a cherry, until I realized that she got sauce beside her lips. I reached my hand out and took a napkin. I leaned forward and wiped the stain beside her lips and she froze. She looked at me awkwardly and cleared . I also caught off guard and pulled back and bit my burger awkwardly. Our faces were so close and it really made me flutter.

 

END OF MARK’S POV

 

Both of you finished eating and entered the zoo. You looked around excitedly and Mark also enthusiastically observing the animals.

“Look! The giraffe is so tall!” You pointed while leaning on the rail. “It looks just like you!” You laughed.

“Ya~ I don’t look like a giraffe.” Mark argued. “You are just jealous that you are short.”

You glared at him and jumped several times.

“I’m not short, my height is perfect for a girl.” You protested.

“Yeah yeah.” Mark laughed at your attitude and pinched your cheek.

You kept on lingering around the zoo just like the kids who were there. You would lean carelessly on the railing which scared Mark that you would fell. He nagged and scolded you several times as if you were his child.

“________, let’s watch the dolphin show.” Mark nudged you and pointed at the venue for the dolphins.

“Whoa! Let’s go!” You cheered.

Both of you sat in the middle of families with little kids. The venue was packed and the show was about to begin. The instructor appeared with a dolphin beside him and they did some attractions. You clapped your hands in awe and kept on tugging Mark’s shirt because you couldn’t restrain the cuteness of the dolphins alone.

 

MARK’S POV

 

She was sitting beside me like a kid. I felt like I was bringing my daughter, she’s just so cute and innocent. She would be amazed at everything, even just simple things that were done by the dolphins. I couldn’t help myself to smile brightly with her beside me. I looked at her several times and she didn’t realize that I was hypnotized with her beauty. She was just so perfect and adorable. I could feel my heart blossomed and shattered at the same time. She was just right beside me but I felt so distant at the same time. The distance was made by her feeling that was not for me. She didn’t love me like how I loved her. She just considered me as a brother, while I was falling head over heels for her.

“Mark.” She waved her hand in front of my face. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

I was shocked that I was too drowned into my thoughts until I didn’t realize that I was staring at her intensely. To make it worse, she caught me red handedly that I was watching her. I quickly shifted my gaze and awkwardly scratched the back of my neck.

“O-oh.” I stuttered. “There was dirt on your hair.” I quickly reached my hand and pretended to wipe her hair.

“Really?” She reached her hand and started to brush her hair too.

“Yeah! Did you even wash your hair today?” I .

“Of course!” She pouted. “Is it clean now?”

“Y-yes, it is.” I answered.

She always caught me off guard with her innocence. I sighed and tried to wash away my thoughts.

 

END OF MARK’S POV

 

“The show was awesome!” You cheered in delight.

“Yeah, you were squealing like a 5 years old.” Mark scoffed.

You just stuck your tongue out at him and walked away. The day has gotten darker and the zoo was about to close. Both of you walked towards the exit until Mark tugged your shirt which made you stop. You turned around and you saw him pointing at a huge statue of a lion, a trademark for the zoo.

“Let’s take a picture here!” Mark suggested.

You nodded and followed him.

“Here, you take it for us.” You handed your phone and he took a selca for both of you.

“Now just you alone.” Mark walked away and took some pictures of you.

You were posing like a dork, making him chuckle and made disgusted faces towards you. You ran to him and slapped his arm.

“Don’t look at me like that.” You growled.

“You looked so silly and stupid.” Mark laughed.

“Ya! I am not!” You nudged him hard.

“Here.” Mark scrolled the camera roll and showed the photo he took. “Judge it by yourself.”

You just giggled and grinned. You felt ridiculous and you admitted that you looked silly. You laughed and hummed while both of you exited the zoo. You felt Mark stiffened beside you and you saw that he was still looking at your phone. You peeked and saw him staring at the picture of you and Yugyeom, when he kissed you on the cheek. You gasped and quickly snatched your phone, causing Mark to startle. You buried your phone in your hands in front of your chest and smiled sheepishly at Mark who was staring at you. You couldn’t read his emotion so you just shrugged it off.

“You can’t see it yet.” You pouted. “I haven’t told you about it.”

“U-uhm.” Mark awkwardly hummed. “Mind to tell me now?” He walked casually with hands in his pocket.

“You know, yesterday I went with Yugyeom.” You began. “We went to the botanical park and we really had a great time there.” You beamed.

Mark just kept his head straight and nodded a little, signaling you that he was listening.

“He was such a lovely, accompanying me everywhere with smiles in his face. I felt so comfortable with him. He was younger than me but I felt so secure with him. He knew how to treat me right.” You continued to talk while smiling.

“When we took a selca, he suddenly kissed my cheek.” You looked down and giggled, remembering the feeling at that time.

You looked up at Mark and saw him still gazing forward, emotionlessly. You pouted.

“Mark, are you okay?” You tapped his arm.

“Y-yeah.” Mark stuttered. “S-so do you like it? When he kissed you?” He asked with a stern voice.

You bit your lips and grinned, only to earn a forceless knock on the head from Mark.

“Ah~ Why??!” You nagged, rubbing your head.

Mark just stuck his tongue out and continued to walk.