Chapter 20

Seoul Witches

(Jaeseop)

“Anything?” I ask Jongdae as I place some herbs in a bowl and began to smash them together.

“There’s the To Displace a Spirit spell…”

Turning around to face him I gave him an odd look before asking, “Why did you stop that sentence?”

“Because I chose not to continue?” he said making it into a question.

“Well what’s wrong with the spell?”

Turning the book on the counter for me to see the picture of black smoke going from a man into another man. Before I could ask, Jongdae began explaining. “This spell might seem alright to use but it doesn’t take away evil spirits. Only displacing it into something else. And if we don’t have something for that evil to possess it might fly somewhere else, and I’m not taking my chances.”

“Well there has got to be something else in that book.”

“Well let’s see,” he said while flipping through the book. “Exorcism? Maybe. Binding potion? Working on it. Vanquishing a dragon? Not exactly a dragon. The Power of…”

Looking back up from my work, I turn back to Jongdae. “What?”

“It’s nothing,” he said while clearing his throat. “Let’s get back to work.”

“No,” I said grabbing his arm. “What were you about to say?”

“I wasn’t gonna-”

“Jongdae.”

Looking into my eyes defiantly, we stayed that way for a while until he broke. Closing his eyes and turning away, he said slowly, “I was going to say the Power of Three spell.”

“What?” I ask genuinely confused. “What are you talking about?”

“It’s nothing,” he started but seeing my look he must have changed his mind. “It was a spell I created back home. It was after a premonition I had of Minjun’s betrayal, and I didn’t know what to do. So without anybody else but Myungsoo by my side we created a power of three spell that would draw out and fuse our powers to destroy any darkness.”

Walking back to the table, he picks up the book and showed me the page. “We created a spell over this page so that it would only appear in a dire situation, and I guess the Book of Shadows can sense our problem now. The problem was that the spell called for three witches of the family line to cast it, and we’re kind of one short.”

As I took the book into my hands and continue to read, a sudden thumping sound came from the living room area. “What was that?”

“You continue reading,” he said to me. “I’ll go check it out.”

With quick nod, I turn back to the book while finishing off the potion.

 

 

--

 

 

(Jongdae)

Opening the double doors to the living room, I was surprise to find nothing out of the ordinary. TV is still intact. Bookshelf still neat and orderly. Couch clean. Wait what? Where is Kevin?

Walking further into the room, I reach out for the couch before my shin collided with the coffee table. Hissing in pain I look up at the table was surprise to see the key gone. Oh, no, it can’t be happening.

“Oh, but it is,” a voice said ominously.

Turning around I was almost surprise to see Kevin with a golden dragon wrapped around his neck with its tail as a choker. The head of the dragon at the collar bone with its teeth sinking into his skin. “Kevin?”

“No. Well not really at the moment, anyways,” he said nonchalantly. “I would actually like it if you call me Draco.”

“Yeah, not going to happen.”

“Huh… too bad. I thought we could really get along there for a minute,” he told me before firing a fiery blast at me. Thinking quick I turn around and recited a quick incantation as the flames consumed me.

“Ahh~ that was fun. Now for the other one,” he said while walking out toward the kitchen.

 

 

--

 

 

(No one)

“Now 2 spoons of crushed mandrake,” Jaeseop said as he took the steaming pot off of the stove. Once the final ingredient was added, he let it cool down and turn towards the living room door only to stop at the sight of a smirking Kevin. “Kevin?”

“Uh-uh-uh, Dragon. And I would like to hear that when I make you beg for mercy.” Without a second to comprehend anything, Kev – Dragon – waved his hand downward forcing Jaeseop onto his knees. “Tsk, tsk, tsk. I was hoping you would’ve put up a better fight. I kind of thought that you would’ve been better at this stuff. Guess I was wrong.”

“What are you doing?”

“Stopping you from stopping me, of course.” Eyeing the boiling pot in disdain, Dragon raised his hand and closed it into a ball. Immediately the pot froze over before flying off and shattering into the wall. In a bored tone, Dragon scoffs. “Did you really think a potion could stop me?”

Jaeseop watch as the boy-turn-demon pet the necklace and walk towards the book. “What do you want?”

“Home…” he whispered.

“What?”

“I’m going back to where I belong: in Valen.”

“You can’t,” Jaeseop tried to negotiate. “You should know by now that it’s a wasteland by now.”

“I don’t care,” he glared at the older boy. “I’m going back to where I belong.”

“Not if I have anything to say about it,” a voice came. “Avolo!” (trans. Fly Away)

Jaeseop watch as the demon flew away from his sight.

Leaning against the counter for support the witch watch as his baby brother came into vision and went to his side. Helping him up Jongdae turn towards the knife holder and swung his arms, sending all of the knives towards the demon.

Jongdae wasn’t quick enough, though. Dragon made a stopping motion with his hands and the knives froze in midair. With a flick of his wrist the knives flew away from him. Levitating himself up onto his feet, Dragon gave the two brothers a cold sneer. “Ugh, you’re back. I thought I had already taken care of you.”

“Looks like I’m not the only one rusty.”

“Well I’ll make sure to destroy you this time.”

“We’ll see about that.”

Raising their hands both brothers raised their hands and cast, “Fraendo!” (trans. Crush) The table in front of them was then pushed into the boy until he was slammed against the wall. Both boys ran for the book and ran out of the room and up the stairs.

When they thought that they were safe, they turn towards each other and talk in hushed whispers. “What do we do?”

“I’m out of options.”

“So what do we give him what he wants?”

“What are you thinking?”

“About my life, duh.”

“No we can’t let him walk out. We both don’t know what’s on the other side of that portal.”

“Why don’t you let me through so we can find out together,” a voice said behind them.

“What the-”                           

“Afferrentur dolor.” (trans. Bring the pain)

The brothers were interrupted as a strong blast came their way. They both flew and hit the wall behind them and fell unconscious as pain crept through their bodies.

The last thing Jaeseop heard before he went under was the blond boy saying his farewell and a slamming door. Then everything went black.

 


Comment and subscribe please...