Chapter 10

Seoul Witches

Jaeseop

After placing my books and bag in the back seat, I got into the driver seat and took out my phone and check for any texts or calls from my baby brother. “1 text message.” ‘Huh, I’ll ask him when I get home.’ Tossing it into the back seat, I started my car headed home.

After a good half hour of driving, I was about to reach into my pocket to retrieve the necklace when my cell went off. Not taking my eyes off the road, I flick my index forward and grab my phone as it flew into my hand. Without looking at who’s calling, I pick up and answer, “Hello?”

“Hi, Jaeseop-shi.”

“Mrs. Lee? Is there a problem?”

“Yes, there was a fire in your house and I believe Jongdae was inside. You better hurry back.”

Hearing “Jongdae” and “fire” was enough for me as I started to speed my way to my house. Screw the law my brother was in trouble and I have to get to him quickly. I was almost home when I saw the smoke from what I believe is my current destination. ‘Oh, no.’

Rounding the corner I saw a gigantic group of people standing in front of the house. Parking as close as I could, I jump out of my car and ran through the throng of people. “Jongdae! Jongdae! Jongdae!” I continue to yell for him until I got to the front. I almost got pass the barricade until a policeman stop me.

“Excuse me, sir. You can’t get anywhere pass here,” he ordered.

“No, sir, you don’t understand. I--” I tried.

He cut me off though. “I’m sorry. You have to follow orders.”

“To hell I will.” Discreetly, I flick my wrist and push him to the ground, making it look like he trip on something. Taking my chance jump over the barricade and ran for Jongdae. I found him by the ambulance van getting a checkup by the paramedics. As I got closer, I saw that he had some burn marks on his arms, and he was consistently fidgeting.

“Jongdae!” I called again.

Looking away from the doctors, I saw his expression changed from bored to relieve in an instant. Not caring of anybody else, he jump out of the van and ran full speed at me. With open arms I let him jump on me as squeeze him tight. “Hyung,” I heard him whimpered into my chest.

“Hey, hey, it’s okay, I’m here. It’s over. You’re safe now,” I comforted him.

“I thought I wouldn’t make it out--”

“Shh~ it’s over. Try not to think about it, okay?”

“It still hurts though.”

Seeing the paramedics coming over to take Jongdae back for more checkups, I chanted a quick incantation, “Sana, sana. Sana, sana.” A blue light emanated from my right hand as I ran it over his arms, neck, and back. Hearing a sigh of relief, I pulled away from him as the paramedics came over, as well as officer smart .

“Young man, didn’t I say--” Jongdae interrupted him

“I’m sorry he’s with me.” Seeing his confusion I again made him fell backwards again. ‘Idiot.’

“Sir, we need to continue with your examination,” said the paramedic. Her tag says Yoon.

“Uh, how much longer Ms.Yoon?”

“Not much more. We just need to check if he has burn marks from that fire.”

Breathing in relief I thought to myself, ‘I’m glad I cleared that up.’ Taking him back to the paramedics for a few minutes, they said he fine. Actually even better than anybody to survive a fire that big. After telling Jongdae to come visit the hospital tomorrow for checkup, everybody started to leave until we were the only ones left.

Looking up the house didn’t look that bad. Just the attic part look a little burnt on the outside. The inside might say otherwise but I’ll wait until later to find out. Making our way inside we sat down in the living room trying our best to figure out how to start off the situation.

It seem like it was it was Jongdae. “I’m sorry.”

“What?” I stared at him to continue.

“I- there was- I- I don’t know,” his head fell down as he finish.

“Hey, hey. Just start from the beginning,” I instructed.

Taking in a deep breath, he told his story, “Earlier today I faced this shadow-thingy in the woods by the mall, and then he showed up again here, in the attic. I think he was looking for something. I wanted to get you but you were busy so I decided to take matters into my own hand.” Heaving a sigh, he continued on, “I guess my witchy side isn’t like how it used to be like it was back then.”

Pulling him into a one arm hug, I told him, “If I it counts, none of our witchy sides are at its best. I mean come after decades of keeping our magic to a minimum, we can get a little rusty.”

Chuckling, Jongdae replied, “Right. Just rusty.”

After sitting in each other’s embrace for a while, I was suddenly struck by my recent finding. “Hey, Jongdae?”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t get scared, but I think that I might’ve found a clue to who’s after us,” I said as I reached into my pocket.

“What is it?” he asks turning to me.

“Well,” I said as held up the little locket, “do you recognize this?”

Seeing his shock and surprised expression, I knew for sure that he knew too.

“My locket.” He took it into his hand as he inspected it. “But why’s it here? I remembered I left it back home.”

Okay that new information. “Wait, I thought you had it this whole time.”

“No, after mom banished us, I realized that I never took it with me.”

“So you’re saying that whoever sent this to me came from there? But how?”

“I don’t know. But they’re getting closer and we’re loosing time.”