Chapter 1

Seoul Witches

‘Where am I?’ I thought to myself. “Hello! Is anybody there?!” I yelled as I continued through this never ending darkness. I didn’t know where I was or how I got here, but I did know that it didn’t feel safe one bit. Just as I was about to give up, I saw a light appearing out of nowhere. Although I should have been a little relieved, my senses told me that I’m still not safe.

Shaking my head, I continued forward towards the light. As I got closer I started to doubt my fear from before until I heard something. It sounded faintly like a roar. Pushing that thought away I continued to go towards the light.

‘Wait a minute,’ I thought, ‘I heard it again. It sounds like a dragon.’ As I got closer the roar got louder. I then realized, ‘It’s coming from the light.’

‘I got to get out of here.’ Before I could make my move, something emerged from the light. Or more like a dragon. Frozen in fear I watch as it wrapped its tail around me. With wide eyes I watch as something else came out of the light, some kind of shadow or human.

The shadow seemed to be saying something. As I strained to hear, I heard it chanted, “ hoc key…”

‘What does that mean?’ I thought to myself. I couldn’t seem to do anything further as everything went dark again.

 

 


 

 

Jerking up in bed, I gasped for air as I took in my surrounding. I realized that I was only in my room and that everything I had just experience was just a dream. ‘Or maybe not,’ I thought. Shaking my head of that thought I got up to take a shower.

Stepping into the shower I got lost in thought of what I saw in my dream. A light. A dragon. And a shadow. ‘I got nothing,’ I thought. Finishing up I quickly got changed into a pair of skinny jeans and a black long sleeve V-neck shirt.

Making my way into the kitchen I quickly made pancakes and bacon all the while thinking of whether or not I should tell Jaeseop hyung about my dream earlier. As I set the plates at the counter, I suddenly felt a pair of arms circle around my waist followed by a, “Morning baby brother.”

“Hyung, you’re quite touchy this morning,” I said as I detached myself from his arms.

“I just miss you,” he said with a pout.

“Just eat before I regret making you breakfast.”

“And that’s why you’re my favorite brother.”

“I’m your only brother.”

“Wow someone’s in a mood. What’s up?”

“Nothing.”

“Ok,” he obviously wasn’t convinced. “Anyway are you free today?”

“Well I have to train some new trainees at the café. Why?”

“I was hoping to have an all-day brother’s hangout. I mean we haven’t hangout in a long while now, you know?”

“You’re right,” I said after I thought about it. Finishing up my breakfast I place my empty plate into the sink. Looking back at my brother I asked, “How long has it been since we last hangout? 30-years ago or 40?”

“No I think it was 70-years ago. I remembered that I didn’t come back to Korea until the mid-1940s.”

“Oh yeah. But hey, how about I ask Hyoyeon to train the trainees and we can have the day to ourselves. I mean I know that she won’t miss the chance to boss people around and show who’s in charge.”

“Ok as long as she won’t mind.”

“Don’t worry, I know she won’t. Now go change your clothes.”

“What’s wrong with my outfit?” he demanded.

“What’s right with it?” I counted as we both look down at his attire, which consist of a black tank with some sweat pants. “Just change your clothes.”

“Ugh fine ummaaaa~” he yelled as he ran upstairs.

I shook my head at his childish behavior before I went to my room to text my best friend and co-worker Hyoyeon to cover for me.

As I walk back downstairs, I met up with Jaeseop hyung at the front door. “Happy?” he asked as he pointed at his outfit. A plaid button up shirt with his sleeved rolled up, jeans, and some vans.

“Delighted,” I said as I put on my boots. Getting my wallet from the table I turn to see him getting the car key as well as his wallet. Taking my hand in his, he practically dragged me out towards his car. As we got inside I realized something. “We forgot to lock the door.”

“Oh right.” He then said while waving his hand towards the front door, “Clauditis.” To everyone else, it was nothing. But I knew better. He was using his magic.

“Really?” I demanded.

“What it’s not like I flew to the car and make the flowers grow faster. Oh come on loosen up.”

With a sigh, I finally decided to let loose. Smiling at him I said, “Fine. Let’s paint the town red.”

Turning on the car, he turned to me and brightly smiled back at me as he said, “That’s my baby boy.” Backing out of the driveway we then drove off into the city. And with that I seem to have forgotten all about that weird dream last night and finally have some fun with my big brother.