Where I Belong

Fallen Angel

 

Baekhyun's P.O.V

The night is calm and the wind is cold. The stars are shining above his head while the sounds of the nature echoes through the dark night. It's a calm hour, unlike the day. During the day the animals move around, there are birds singing and flying among the tree tops while the people at the temple work or help someone. The night is calm except for an owl hooting in the distance.

Mostly of the people are either sleeping or meditating by now. The hour is late, the people here are tired after the long day. Despite that, there is still someone walking around in the dark night. He knows very well that he shouldn't be walking around this late, but he can't stay here any longer. He has been patient for a long time and he promised to not stay any longer than needed.

Baekhyun silently walks down the stone hall while listening to the silence. He made up his mind weeks ago and he can no longer waste his time here. Lately he has been working so hard to become stronger, to understand what he can do and what he needs to know to be able to be around his close friends and love. He knows very well that leaving the temple and the rest of the angels is dangerous and he will put his life in danger once more, but he's willing to risk it.

At first he was scared to lose his life. If you think about it, dying means a stop to your life flow. You won't be able to see your loved once or do everything you enjoy doing. If he dies, then he would be separated not only from Chanyeol, but also from everyone else in this world and in his own world. He might be an angel, but even they can die and perish. It is a terrifying thought and he has been near death at least twice already. But he doesn't want his fear to stop him from living the life he wants.

They say that if you love someone strong enough, than your love can overcome anything. At first it sounded weird and impossible, but that's not true. He has reflected on his thoughts a lot during his time away from Chanyeol and he has come to realize that he doesn't fear dying anymore, he fear losing his love and his friends. He has more or less accepted death in a way, but he's pretty sure that if Chanyeol or one of his friends would die, his heart would be broken.

Therefor, after a lot of reflecting and thinking, he made up his mind. He's strong enough to not only protect himself, without he can protect others now. If he notices that the battle will go wrong on him, he will make sure that only he will end up hurt and no one else. That is the least he can do. But he won't go down without a fight and after all his training he has gone through, he gets a feeling that he might actually have a good chance against the demons. His own teacher told him that he has a great potential and that he's a fast learner.

Baekhyun walks down the long corridor. He throws a couple of glances over his shoulder to make sure that no one is following him and that he's not being spotted. What he's about to do may be cruel towards the people who has taken him in, protected him and taught him more about himself; but he can't stay. He told them, clearly, that he wouldn't stay any longer than necessary as fast he has learned to protect himself. If he can protect himself and protect Chanyeol and the others, then he's more than ready to leave.

Though, he gets a feeling that he won't be able to leave this place that easily without being noticed. He knows that some of the people won't care if he leaves or they have better things to do, but there is one person who would never let him go without a fight. He knows that person is watching the corridors tonight and if he gets spotted by this person, he will either have to try to run or go as far as to fight his way out. Of course he doesn't want to hurt anyone, but he doesn't want to be stuck here anymore.

The corridor is silent for a long time while he makes his way towards the east exit: the exit with the least guards. He has studied the guards, they change routine every third week and the guards are always ready to defend the entrances to the temple at any time. Though, he is pretty sure he can leave the temple if he says that he wants to fetch a rare flower that only blossoms during the night. They would probably insist to take someone with him, but he will come up with a good excuse to leave without them.

It doesn't take long before he spots the guards to the east entrance stand and talk silently with each other. Their words are soft and gentle: they're whispering in the calm night. Baekhyun embraces himself to meet them and calmly walks up to them. They both spot him nearly right away and turn to him. One of the guards is a woman with blonde hair, she looks to be from the USA and the other man is a tanned Spanish looking man. Baekhyun flashes them a calm and innocent smile and watches them smile back weakly.

 

You sure are up late tonight. Can't sleep?”
“Don't use that dialect, he won't understand you idiot. Sorry, he's still not used to speak normally again. Living in Spain changed his dialect slightly.”
“It's alright, I understand him more than enough. Is it a calm night tonight?”
“For once it's a rather calm night. Though, we won't let our guards down.”
“If you're worried that we will fail our jobs, then you're wrong. We won't let our guard down even if Godfather would tell us that the demons are no longer on Earth.”
“If it is a calm night tonight, may I go out and pick some special night flowers? They only blossom during the night and it's not very often we have a calm night like this one.”
“I don't know... We heard rumors about you wanting to leave this place.”
“Of course we don't have any right to actually stop you from leaving, but... There is someone who said we shouldn't let you go if it is possible.”
“Let me guess, it was Aphrodite. She's a lovely woman and I appreciate everything she does for me, but I can handle myself. I will go out for a stroll, don't freak out if I don't come back before morning. I will be alright.”
“I guess you're trying to hint that you're not coming back: or am I wrong?”
“I may or may not come back depending on my findings. If it is too dangerous, I will come back and speak with Aphrodite myself. You don't have to take responsibility for me, after all I make my own choices.”

 

Both of the guards look unsure and hesitant, but after a while they both take a step to the side and stare out into the night. It's their way of saying that they will let him go, but they don't approve of it. He bows slightly to them both before he steps out into the night and feels the gentle breeze. He's finally out, but he shouldn't rest yet. He will have to get going before Aphrodite comes running and stops him. She probably haven't told anyone about Baekhyun being one of Godfather's favorite angels and therefor no one is trying to stop him.

 

Be careful wherever you go. Please come back if it is too dangerous, we won't blame you.”
“We will greet you with open arms, brother. Don't take on any fight on your own even if you know how to fight. Stay safe and travel with caution.”
“Thank you, both of you. If Aphrodite asks, tell her that I said thank you and that I will come back if something happens or when it's time to pay a visit. Until then, please be careful.”
“We will tell her if she asks which she probably will in the morning. See you, brother.”

 

Baekhyun smiles towards the guards who smile weakly before they let him walk away from the temple. He walks gently through the strange forest that he would rather call a jungle. The air feels humid outside the temple: it's also hot. The temperatures are warmer out here because there is no magic cooling the air down like in the temple. It feels strange walking out here in the middle of the night all alone. But he only has to be alone for just a little longer. Soon he won't have to worry to be alone again.

He walks a little further through the jungle and listens to the insects and birds singing. He can hear cat like animals run around in the bushes near him and he spots a rather big snake crawl only two meters away from him. Everything is ignoring him, it's like he's not a part of their world. Well, they're not wrong. He's not a part of their world, he and the other angels are not supposed to be here. The demons and the angels, they're not a species from this planet and this dimension. They're just... invisible creatures that doesn't fit in.

It's slightly terrifying to know that he doesn't belong in this world. He thought that there would be some kind of magic or anything that would try to get rid of them to restore balance, but there isn't anything happening. They can pass through one dimension to another, but it takes a lot of energy to do so. Godfather, the man who is the protector and highest ranked angel in their dimension, is a strong man who send angels to Earth in hope to protect them. He knows that they can't protect the humans from Earth's horrible nature catastrophes like tsunamis or earthquakes, but they can protect them from demons and other evil that shows up.

Baekhyun is lost in his own thoughts for a long time. He has had a lot of time to reflect on his life up until now, but he has never felt this lost and lonely as tonight. He felt lonely when he was with the other angels only a couple of minutes ago and he feels lonely now. He thinks it's because he longs after his love that he wants to see so badly. Which reminds him, he should try to get up in the sky by now. His wings should carry him the rest of the way if possible and he should prepare to fight if something happens.

 

So it is here you are? I thought I saw you leaving your room earlier, but I never thought you would be this reckless as to leave. Baekhyun-ah, please don't go any further than this.”

 

A soft woman voice echoes behind him and he is fast to turn around. Aphrodite is standing with her arms crossed over her chest, her face is telling him she's disappointed and her eyes are filled with exhaustion. How could she find him this quickly? He left the temple a couple of minutes ago and he didn't sense anyone following him. He didn't even notice her walking up to him.

 

It's hard to track you which is good because the demons will try to find you if you leave. But, it is not safe for you out there. You know you shouldn't leave, yet you're trying to go despite my warnings. Why won't you listen to me? Is it because I'm a woman?”
“You being a man or a woman has nothing to do with this Aphrodite, you already know that. I told you, I'm ready to leave. Everyone knows that you have no right holding me here anymore, even my sensei told me that. Please don't make this any harder.”
“Can't you at least say a proper goodbye to me before you leave? Please?”
“A-Are you going to let me go? F-For real?”
“Like you said, I do not have any right to keep you here. I don't see why I should fight you when you're not doing anything wrong. Besides, fighting you would only waste both our energy and it would cause the other angels to get worried. Of course I'm still fully against you leaving without anyone coming with you, but we don't have any people to spare at the moment. You do know that it's far more dangerous out there than what you believe.”
“It may be far more dangerous. Though, I'm more than ready to not only protect myself, but to protect everyone else I love. Besides, I get the feeling that this is what Godfather would have wanted me to do. He told me to always follow my heart and that I will do.”
“Is there absolutely nothing I can say or do to convince you to stay? Please?”
“I'm in your debt for saving my life and protecting me. Thank you for letting me learn more about myself, about the angels on Earth and what we're capable to do. Thank you for taking care of me even though you're more than busy with the other children. Please stay safe and shower those poor young angels with love and protection. Goodbye Aphrodite.”

 

Baekhyun makes sure he bows properly to Aphrodite who lets out a small sigh before she bows back to him. They exchange a small smile before she takes a step back and then turns on her heels. She knew very well that Baekhyun wouldn't go back without a fight which would, like she said, cost them both energy and time. It would have been an unnecessary fight that would only lead to selfishness and time wasting. He's glad she understood that he's not only leaving for his own sake, he's also leaving for theirs and Chanyeol's and his friends' sake.

 

***

 

A long and exhausted sigh leaves his mouth as he lands on the ground as gently as he can. His body feels tired and his eyes are slowly trying to close themselves. He doesn't remember feeling this exhausted the last time he flew from Seoul to the temple where the other angels lives. Sure, it took them the whole night and a little more to get there, but he didn't feel exhausted. He's at least in South Korea again and he's close to Seoul – to Chanyeol.

He makes sure his wings are gone by the time he steps out of the forest he landed in. He hasn't been able to relax the slightest since he left Aphrodite in the jungle earlier this night. Though he must say, the demons are really bad at spotting him and tracking him. He thought they would attack him the moment he left the jungle, but nothing has happened this far. He hasn't sensed any demons near him, but when he flew over a couple of other cities, he could sense something dark.

The early morning sun is slowly raising from the horizon while he walks down a narrow path towards a small town. He wants to sleep, but he doesn't have enough money to pay for a room somewhere. From here he will try to travel to Seoul through buses and trains instead of flying. He doesn't dare to fly this close to civilization on his own and he's not sure if the demons will easily spot him if he flies in the sky or not. Therefor he will try to use normal transportation as much as possible.

It takes a while before he reaches the small town and before he finds his way towards where there should be a bus station. It may be early in the morning, but there are people already walking down the street. Some may be on their way home after a night shift, some may be on their way to their job and some of them may be out on a walk because they couldn't sleep. Baekhyun doesn't know their reason to why they're awake, but he's glad to see some normal humans for once.

 

Excuse me, may I ask you if there is a train station in this town or is there only a bus station here? Are there any trains or buses leaving for Seoul today?”
“You must be new around here young man, I haven't seen you before. If you're looking for the train station, then you have to walk down this street and walk towards the north. There should be a train leaving for Seoul in an hour or so. If you hurry you may catch it.”
“Thank you ma'am, have a nice day.”

 

Baekhyun bows to the middle aged woman who was kind enough to point out his way to the train station. He's lucky there is a train he can take to Seoul, else it would have taken him a couple of more hours. He quickly walks down the streets and follows the lady's description to find the train station. He has to ask a couple of more times before he finally finds the train station. He looks around in the train station and finds the automatic that he needs to buy his ticket to Seoul.

He's still not used being on his own like this, to have to travel with a train to Seoul all on his own. Chanyeol or Sehun or Kai or Suho or Kyungsoo used to be with him, but not anymore. They would always be by his side and help him out whenever he needed them, but they're not here. He's on his own until he finds his way back to Chanyeol. If things get too troublesome, he will just have to wait for the night to fall and fly the rest of the way to Seoul. He can probably find his way better by flying than taking the train.

 

Maybe I should try to find a phone and call him...? He might be able to meet me at the train station... But I don't want to burden him...”

 

Baekhyun checks the time. His train will arrive in only a couple of minutes and he doesn't want to miss it. He will have to wait with calling Chanyeol, it's better if he gets on his train and goes to Seoul for now. When he's in Seoul, he can try to figure out how to get to Chanyeol. Until then, he only wants to get on his train and take a nap. The ride will take three hours, so he can, hopefully, rest for three hours.

 

***

 

The morning train is rather silent and most of the people riding it are either sleeping or reading the newspaper or a book. There is a teenager scrolling on her phone and another man is listening to music rather loudly through his headphones. Baekhyun is leaning back in his seat and is trying to rest, but something is disturbing him. From time to time he feels a rather dark aura and it makes it hard for him to rest. Usually he doesn't have to rest and sleep as much as humans does, but he got quite exhausted from all the flying.

 

The train will shortly arrive to Seoul central station. The time is 9 am and the exit is on the right. Mind the gap between the train and the platform.”

 

Baekhyun stretches out his body and struggles to not close his eyes again. He's finally in Seoul and he has checked out a couple of ways to get to Chanyeol's apartment. Well, he could always try to call Chanyeol himself and ask him to meet him, but that feels somewhat stupid. It feels too casual and for some reason, he doesn't dare to call him. He wouldn't want to call Suho or anyone of the others either, then it would feel like he's betraying Chanyeol. If he has to call someone then it has to be Chanyeol.

It doesn't take long before the train stops at Seoul central station. He steps out into the crowd and inhales slowly. He doesn't like being alone in a crowd like this, but he won't need to stay here long. He quickly makes his way out of the crowd and walks out to the street. The traffic is lively as usual and seeing all the tall buildings, all the technology and all the people makes him feel nostalgic. It felt like it was ages ago he was here.

He looks around for a while before he manages to find his way towards a bus stop where he asks for help to get to as close to Chanyeol's street. It takes a while before he finds someone who could help him and tells him which bus he needs to take, where he needs to get off and where he should go next. Baekhyun makes sure to thank the nice young man who helped him before he hurries to find his bus and get on it.

The first time he was on a bus was with Chanyeol, though he doesn't remember where they were going. Baekhyun was never nervous to get on even though he wasn't used to transportation in a form of a car or bus. Vehicles has never been something the angels has used, it's something the humans have made themselves. The angels can fly and the demons are rather fast and has a high stamina. They're dangerous to fight because of their stamina and therefor angels try to not let the battle become too long.

He finds a seat in the back of the buss where he sits down and leans back. He listens to the people chattering and watches the outside pass him by. There are so many people, so many buildings and so many strange things in this world. It's nothing compared to his home: it's nothing compared to his dimension. He doesn't dislike his own home, but Earth has so much more to offer. Especially now when there is someone here he doesn't want to leave. Soon enough he will be able to meet that someone.

Baekhyun closes his eyes for a second before he suddenly feels a dark aura enter the bus. His whole body freezes and he begins to feel like he has a hard time breathing. He doesn't dare to move, he only stares out through the window while concentrating on his own aura. He tries to hide it, to make it as small and unnoticeable as possible. He slowly glances over at the person who gives off the dark aura: it's a young looking man. He doesn't seem to notice Baekhyun and if he's lucky, he might get off the bus without him noticing.

During the whole time Baekhyun watches the young man even though he's pretty sure he won't do anything. There are too many people in the buss, he wouldn't be able to do anything too reckless without getting into trouble. Demons do hate humans, but even they are rather cautious around them. They don't want them to know that they exist all too much until they're sure they can kill as many humans they can without the angels interfering.

As fast the bus stops at Baekhyun's stop, he quickly gets off and walks straight towards a shop. He glances over his shoulder and makes sure that the young man didn't get off and followed him. It looks like he got away for this time, but he shouldn't let his guard down. He might meet more of those demons who are disguised as humans, just like himself. He has to find Chanyeol instead and get away from this place.

He looks around himself to realize something: he recognizes this place. It feels like his eyes are dazzling while looking around: he knows this place! He knows where he is! He feels how he begins to walk down the street and he quickly traces the shops he used to walk by every time he and Chanyeol went out. His mind takes him back to the time when they lived together, when he didn't know what a great danger he put everyone else in. He remembers buying food from a store over there and he bought Sehun candy at the candy shop further down the street.

His feet takes him down the street while he remembers which way he used to walk. He keeps walking in his own world until he stops outside an apartment building. He wakes up from his memories and he realizes that he's standing right outside Chanyeol's apartment building. He looks up towards the sky, at the window he knows is Chanyeol's bedroom. Is he still home? Maybe he's out? What if he has moved? What should he do then? Well, he could always call Suho or Kai or Sehun or Kyungsoo or try to reach Chanyeol on a phone: if he finds one.

Baekhyun slowly opens the door and steps into the building. He's nervous and hesitant for an unknown reason. He never thought he would feel like this now when he's finally here. He does want to see Chanyeol and his friends again, but he doesn't want to put them in danger. He has become stronger, he can protect himself and them if needed, but he's still scared. He doesn't want anyone to get hurt, but he doesn't want to be without them either.

He walks up the stairs silently and slowly until he reaches the right floor and finds the right door. On the door it stands with simple words: Park Chanyeol. He's still living here, just like Baekhyun had hoped. He hesitates slightly more before he reaches out his hand and pushes the doorbell. He then holds his breath and waits in hope that someone will be home. To his surprise he hears loud thuds and stumbles which makes him feel rather anxious and scared. Is there someone else in Chanyeol's apartment? What if Chanyeol is hurt?

Before Baekhyun can even imagine what is going on inside the apartment, the door gets unlocked and nearly flies open. Baekhyun stares right at the person in the door opening. His hair is messy, his eyes look to be newly awake and his face is slightly pale. Though, to Baekhyun surprise he looks rather healthy except that it looks like he just stepped out of the bed. The moment Baekhyun's eyes spots the tall young man in the door opening they start feel teary and he can't hold back the tears.

He tries to open his mouth, to say something: anything. But, nothing comes out. He only stands there with the tears streaming down his face. Nothing was needed to be said. The moment they saw each other, they already knew what the other one thought. Within only some few seconds, Baekhyun can feel two warm arms surround him and he can feel how his head rests against the warm chest where he can hear a strong heartbeat. The familiar sweet scent of the person he loves lingers around him and he inhales it softly.

Two soft lips touches his forehead and implants a soft kiss. The tears won't stop streaming down his cheeks and all he can do is to desperately hug the person in front of him. His body feels weak, like he has been running an endless mile without stopping ever since he left this place. For so long he has tried to act brave and strong, but he knew all this time that he wasn't strong or brave. He was only left alone and forced to bear the pain and sorrow on his own shoulders.

 

Chanyeol... I'm home... I'm... Home...”
“Mm... Welcome back home... Baekhyun-ah...”

 

They stand in the door opening for a long time in each other's arms. None of them says anything for a while before Chanyeol suddenly pulls out of the hug and gently grabs Baekhyun's cheek. Baekhyun stares up at his love and realizes that he's also shedding some few tears as happy and relieved he is to see him. It has never felt so good to see someone cry before, especially since it is Chanyeol who is crying in front of him. It feels good to know that he has missed him as much as Baekhyun has missed him.

 

I missed you so much... Where have you been all this time...?”
“I was in a temple far away from here... Far away from you...”

 

Chanyeol smiles before he leans in and gently kisses Baekhyun on the lips. Baekhyun is fast to wrap his arms around Chanyeol's neck and lets the giant lead him into the apartment in the middle of the kiss. He closes the door as fast they pull out of the kiss and Baekhyun is fast to throw his jacket and shoes off him. He than hugs Chanyeol again, buries his face in his chest and closes his eyes for a while. Chanyeol embraces him back and gently kisses him on top of his head.

 

Welcome back home... Baekhyun-ah... We all have missed you so much...”
“And I have missed you too... All of you... I'm so glad I'm back... I'm... back...”

 

Everything slowly becomes blurry in front of his eyes and Baekhyun realizes that he's on his way to fall asleep. He hasn't been able to rest the slightest the last couple of days, especially not since he left the temple. Now when he's in Chanyeol's arms again, everything feels so peaceful and it feels like all his worries and anxiousness is gone.

 

I'm sorry... I think... I can't stay awake... for much longer...”
“Don't worry... I have you... I will stay with you the whole time.”
“Thank you... Chanyeol... I love you... I have missed you... I love you...”
“I love you too sweetie... I love you too...”

 

Baekhyun lets Chanyeol gently lead him through the familiar apartment and over to his bedroom. He then helps Baekhyun's tired body to lie down on the bed before he silently gets in as well and wraps his arms around him. Baekhyun's body automatically cuddles up against Chanyeol and feels how he snuggles his head between his neck and shoulder. The sweet scent and the soft touch from Chanyeol's hair makes Baekhyun smile and he feels how he can close his eyes with ease. He's right where he wants to be. He's right back at home, where he truly belongs. Right besides Chanyeol...

 

 


Ayo guys! How are you doing? ^.^

So I know this fiction has been on hiatus for a long time now (I don't even remember the last time I update it to be honest), but I'm finally back! I will try to finish this fiction soon, I was getting close to the end anyway. ^.^

I want to apologize to everyone for the long wait, but I hope you will enjoy the last chapters and will support me to the end! ^.^

Peace and love to you all! <3