Chapter 47

Cinderella

“Nara, turn off your damn phone, right now, or I swear I will throw it out my window and let all those cars down there crush your stupid, annoying phone into tiny little bits of dust tha-“

“Okay, woman!” Nara tucks her phone into her bag.  “Comme des down, yeesh,”

“Calmez-vous mon cul!” Haerin snaps.

“Ooh, y,” Nara bites her lip and doubles over in laughter when Haerin gapes at her after she runs her eyes all over her body.

“Can you not?!” Haerin tries to cover herself with her hands.

“Hey, it’s my nature!” Nara protests.

“You do it with girls, too?!”

“Sometimes, yeah,” Nara shrugs.  “But I’m straight,”

 

At that moment, Nara’s handphone rings loud and clear, and Haerin, irritated, snatches the device away from its owner’s hands the moment she took it out of her bag.  Swiftly, she picks up the call.  “Sorry, currently not ing around.  Call again—let’s see—never!” And she plucks out the battery before flinging the phone back to Nara.  “I’m keeping this,”

Nara’s eyes had started to water from laughing too much.  She almost dropped her own phone and takes her time laughing at Haerin’s behaviour.  “I’ve never laughed this much in the morning,” She gasps, clutching at her stomach.

“Nara, we are getting you a new job, I need you to focus,” Haerin puts her hands on her hips.

“Okay, okay, sorry, focused, I am focused,” Nara forces a straight face on.

Haerin eyes her friend from head to toe and seeing how Nara is rocking a very simple v-neck t-shirt, jeans shorts and sneakers with her hair pulled up into a ponytail, even if Nara wasn’t focusing, she’d be able to land any model job.  She promised to dedicate her Saturday for Nara, her whole weekend, if needed, just to help her look for a new job.  She was sure it wouldn’t be that hard and she had faith in Nara and her blessed figure.  She didn’t know if it was because Nara was the girl Kyungsoo is in love with and that she wanted to make her into a better person for him, or she just wanted to simply help Nara because she cared.  

And for Nara, she didn’t know why she was letting Haerin help her so easily when the other day, she was so insistent on making sure that Kyungsoo hates her and her job.  Haerin talked her so easily into it and here she is, trying to look for a new job and give up her whole deal of sleeping around when that’s pretty much all she knows.  She’s been feeling bad about it, though, and she needed that little push to just drop everything and start anew.

Well, she thinks.  Haerin’s that little push she’s been looking for.

 

“Now let’s start with your CV,” Haerin puts her hand out after she gulps down her water.

Nara meets Haerin’s hand in a high five and grins brightly.

Raising an eyebrow in question, Haerin keeps her palm out.

“What?” Nara frowns.

“CV, give me,”

“What CV?”

“Your CV, idiot,”

“My CV? You never said I should have a CV,”

“What the—you don’t have a freaking CV?”

“Why should I have one?”

“Everybody has one!”

“Well, not me.  I have for a living.  Don’t need no CV,”

Haerin bursts out laughing at Nara’s statement.  “Okay, let’s go and make you a CV,”

 

As they sat in front of Haerin’s laptop, Nara’s fingers stay unmoving over the keyboards.

“Well?” Haerin nudges.  “What are you waiting for?”

“I don’t know what to write,”

“The window over here is my CV, use that as an example.  From your basic information, early education, to your achievements and participation and talents and stuff,” Haerin points at the screen.  “I’m going to go make us some food,”

“Ah, don’t!” Nara’s hand shoots out to hold Haerin back.  “Stay here and help me.  Let’s just order Chinese take-out or something,”

“Fine,” Haerin picks up her phone and orders some take outs as requested.  As she successfully relays her orders and address through the phone, she puts it away and returns to helping Nara with her CV.

“What achievements do you have?”

“Aside from sleeping with more guys than anyone can possibly imagine, nothing,”

“No, seriously, and stop with the jokes,”

“No, I’m serious,”

“The ?” Haerin draws back in surprise.  “Seriously?”

Nara nods in embarrassment.  “Sorry, am I making this hard for you?”

Haerin sighs.  She quickly closes her laptop and stands up from her chair.  “Let’s go out and get some auditions or castings for you,”

 

Haerin sure didn’t know if it really would be as easy as she thought it would be.

 

***

 

“Come in,”

Kai takes a deep breath before pushing the door to his father’s office open.  His father doesn’t even look up from his desk the moment Kai is fully inside his office.

“What do you need, Kai?” He curtly says.

Kai keeps his hands behind his back as he speaks.  “I wanted to apologise,”

“For?”

“F-for my friend’s lack of manners,”

“Friend?”

Kai runs an anxious hand through his hair, his nerves from being around his dad getting to him.  “Haerin.  The one you met back at the party,”

“Oh,” 

“Yeah,”

Silence.

“Is that all?”

“H-huh?” Kai frowns, startled at the way his father breaks the silence.

“Is that all you came here for?” His father spells out, as if speaking to a child.

“Y-yes, dad,” Kai lowers his head.  “I’ll get going then,”

When Kai reaches out for the door, his father stops him with a question.

“Is it true that you ranked first at school?”

Kai whips his head around in surprise and almost gaped at the way his father actually raised his gaze to meet his.  “Uhh-huh?” Clearing his throat, Kai fixes his sentence.  “I-I meant, y-yeah, I guess I did, sorta,”

“I see,” His father returns his gaze back to his papers.  “You did good,” He says, barely louder than a whisper but loud enough for Kai to hear.

Kai almost broke out in a grin at what his father had said.  “Can you say that again, dad?”

“No,” He shortly answers.  “Leave.  You’re disturbing me,”

“Okay,” Kai zooms out of his father’s office and the first thing he did was take out his phone and dial the first person on his speed dial.

 

“Hey, y, you up for some messin’ around tonight?” A woman’s breathy, nasal voice comes through the line.

“Wha—“ Kai pulls the phone away from his ear and checks the screen, because last time he checked, he was sure that his speed dial didn’t have a call girl’s number.  It clearly says ‘Haerin’.  “Haerin?” He frowns.

“That’s my phone, you idiot!!”

“What?! Oh—“

Clatter, clatter, bang, crash.

“Hello?”

“Haerin?” Kai frowns.

“Oh, God, Jongin, thank God it’s just you,” She gasps.  She was laughing really hard.  “I was- it was- that was Nara,” She says.

“Ow, that hurts!” Nara’s voice rings loud in the background.

“Suits you right,” Haerin yells and Kai can imagine her sticking her tongue out at Nara.

“Since when were you best friends with the person who caused your break up?” Kai asks, hitching a bus ride.

“Aw, you know I’m not that kind of person,” Haerin smiles through the phone.  “Since I don’t know, since a week? Two weeks? A month ago? I guess, yeah,”

“Ooookay,” Kai scrunches his nose.  Two of the weirdest things happened to him in less than an hour’s time.  Speaking of weird stuff, he remembered that had something to say to Haerin.  “Anyways, Haerin-ah, can we meet up? Are you free?” He had unconsciously drawn another grin across his face.

“Uhh, sure, I’m outside already, where are you?” She asks.

“On the bus,” Kai answers.  “How about the usual cafe?”

“On my way,” Haerin nods.  “Oh, do you mind if Nara tags along?”

“Uh, I’m fine if you’re fine with it,”

“I guess I am,” Haerin chuckles.  “Okay, see you there,”

 

When Haerin hangs up, Kai frowns at his phone for what felt like the millionth time that day.  This is going to be the weirdest meet-up ever.

 

***

 

Kai runs over to lift Haerin by the waist the moment his eyes landed on her.  Laughing at the way she was caught by surprise, he spins her around in a circle before setting her down gently on the ground.  “The weather’s nice,” He pulls her in for a hug, kissing the top of her head and grinning into the distance.

Although hugging him back, glad for his arms, Haerin frowns uncertainly.  “It sure is,”

Kai meets Nara’s eyes, at that moment, and he speaks through the corner of his lips.  “She’s really tagging along, huh?”

“I heard that, Jongin,” Nara rolls her eyes, crossing her arms.

Kai hisses at her, curling his lips.

“Stop being so mean to her,” Haerin slaps his chest and pulls away.  “You be nice too,” She points at Nara and tugs her along into the coffee shop.

 

“So, what’s the deal?” Haerin grins at Kai, who immediately took his cup of coffee off of his lips and grins back.

“Dad praised me,” He beams.

Haerin chokes at her drink.  “Seriously?!”

“Yeah,” Kai starts chuckling as he hands her a piece of tissue.  “It was really quiet but it would take a century for the way he said ‘you did good’ to me to leave my head,”

“He said that?”

“Yes, he did,”

Haerin squeals and starts slapping Nara’s arm repeatedly, because she happens to be the closest person she was sitting to.  “He said that??”

“Jesus, that hurts!” Nara protests.

“Yes, he did!” Kai nods giddily, completely ignoring Nara’s presence.

“Oh, great, sure, ignore me when you’re the one who dragged me here,” Nara snaps.

“Stop being such a baby,” Haerin gives her a final slap and leans forward onto the table.  “So, how did it go?”

“I was in his office, this morning, apologising for your drunk behaviour,” Kai leers at Haerin at the mention of that night, and Haerin shrugs nonchalantly.  “And then just before I left, he asked me if I really did rank first at school,”

“Holy , he heard what I said!” Haerin claps delightedly and had started slapping Nara’s arm again, completely dismissing her yelps.

“And when I said yes, he told me that I did good!” Kai jumps in his seat and complies to the row of high-fives Haerin offers him.

Haerin lets out another high-pitched squeal and falls back onto her chair, completely excited over the news.  “I told you he wasn’t disappointed in you!”

“Yeah,” Kai smiles at her.  “Yeah, you’re right,”

“That’s great, Jongin,” Haerin grins.  “That’s really great,”

“So that was what you were talking about with him, huh?”

“Pretty much, yeah,” Haerin shrugs, holding Nara down on her seat before she could get away.  “I was bragging about you in front of him when he’s the one who’s supposed to be your dad,”

“Thanks,” Kai chuckles at her words and sighs contentedly.  “Thanks, Haerin, it means a lot,”

“It’s nothing, don’t mention it,” Haerin fist bumps him.


Nara raises an eyebrow at the way their gazes linger at each other after their boisterous exchange.  The atmosphere was too intimate afterwards, she couldn’t hold back the question she had been holding back.  “So what’s the deal with you guys? You two dating or something?”

“Us?” Haerin turns to Nara and shakes her head.  “We’re not dating,”

“Yup, we’re not,” Kai agrees.

“So…? -friends?” Nara laughs at her own joke.

“Close,” Kai shares a nod with Haerin.

Nara’s smile froze.  “Seriously?”

“Yeah.  It’s like, friends, plus one,” Haerin tries putting it her way.

“What, does that mean, you guys make out or something?” Nara frowns.

“We kiss a lot,” Haerin grimaces.

“No, we make out.  Hot.  Mostly when she’s drunk,” Kai points at Haerin accusingly.

“Hey, that is completely out of my control,” Haerin points back.

“Haerin gets when she’s drunk?” Nara guffaws.

“Oh, you don’t know the half of it,” Kai throws a smirk at Haerin.

“So that’s why you’re so natural about getting touched by him,” Nara nods, referring to the way he took her by the waist and kissed her head just as they met.

“Getting touched…” Nara glances at Kai the same time he glanced at her and they crack up together.

“God, even the same jokes,” Nara rolls her eyes but laughs along anyways.  

“ brings people together sometimes,” Haerin looks at Kai and Nara, pointing out how the joke made them actually talk to each other.

“Oh, right, I’m supposed to be mad at her,” Kai slaps the table, clicking his tongue in pity.  

 

“Get over it, Jongin,” Nara winks.  “It’s been a reaaaaally long time,”

Haerin tilts her head in question.  “Get over what?”

“This guy here loves Kyungsoo to death,” Nara snickers.  “He found out first about my sleeping around and stealing stuff and tried the hardest to keep Kyungsoo away from me back then, but, as you know, Kyungsoo didn’t listen.  Jonginnie here got jealous of me and I drove him further to the ground when Kyungsoo couldn’t get over me even if I mercilessly crushed his heart,”

“He’s like a brother to me, okay,” Kai says defensively.  “Wouldn’t you do that if the same thing happened to Yunjae?” He eyes Haerin and sighs.  “You probably won’t.  But whatever.  You get me, right?”

“I do, I do,” Haerin laughs.  “But she’s pretty fun, right?”

Kai casts Nara a grudging glance and sighs.  “Can’t say no to that.  What are you guys doing together, anyways?”

“Oh!” Haerin puts an arm around Nara’s shoulder.  “I’m helping this woman right here, look for a job,”

“Doesn’t she have a job…already?” Kai frowns.

“She’s—“

The ringtone to Nara’s phone magically blares through her bag and Haerin glares at her, hard.  She snatches the phone from Nara’s hand and picks up the call.  “I am going to kill this son of a—hello, hi, yes, no, this is not Nara and please go to hell and some other ,”

Kai and Nara cracks up so loudly the whole place turned to look at them.  Haerin, meanwhile, curses some more at the phone and wonders aloud as to why there are people with such strong drives.  “What do they eat?” She grunts, plucking out the battery once more.  “Why don’t we get you a new phone, hm?” She forces a smile at Nara, who cowers away in fear.

“She’s helping me get into an agency to become a model,” She explains to Kai, who was staring at them in complete confusion.

“Model, huh?” Kai rubs his chin in thought and subtly nods in approval.  “You’d get a job in no time, if it’s modelling,” He stands to pay the bill and walk out with the two girls, walking them home.  

“Aw, Jongin, that’s sweet,” Nara gushes, batting her eyelashes at him and immediately forcing a straight face on when he glares at her.

“Does hyung know?” He quietly asks.

 

“Does hyung know what?”

All at once, the three turn their heads to meet Kyungsoo’s gaze, while he notices Nara’s presence within the group.

“Nara?” He frowns.  “Haerin??” He frowns even more.  “Am I missing out on something?”

“,” Nara curses, gripping at Haerin’s arm.  She steps back in reflex, already itching to get away from Kyungsoo.  “We have to go.  Now.”

 

it's been a long time guys

WASSUP

and i end this chapter with a cliffay

bcs ily

yiz i do

man

tell me what u think uhgayn

AND

Kai comes in a close second on my exo bias list

it's kyungsoo kai and baek

JUST FYI

bcs i just watched fancams of smtown seoul and taemin's Pretty Boy stage with kai is liKE hoLY SHHHHH

yup

I like 

ok guys luv ya see ya bye