Chapter 22

Cinderella

Their room was painted white and two large single beds with the same burgundy covers sat close to the far wall, separated by a bedside table with a lamp on it.  There were two doors on the right wall that led to the bathroom and the walk-in closet.  The left wall, meanwhile, had a bookshelf and a study table that faced a huge window that looked out to the swimming pool, studio house and backyard.  Between the door and the beds was a short, mahogany table surrounded by square pillow-mats meant for snacks and leisure.  The floors were fully carpeted and the first words that came out of Haerin’s lips were these; “Don’t you have anything smaller?”

Kyungsoo chuckles and sets her suitcase in front of the closet doors.  “No, we don’t,” He checks the windows before closing the curtains.  “Unpack your things, I’ll be back with the first-aid kit and some food,”

 

The moment Kyungsoo closes the door behind him, Yunjae and Haerin marvels at everything in the room.  The bathtub in the marble-lined bathroom, the spacious walk-in closet, the view from the window, the generous bookshelf, and they chat about, non-stop, as they transfer their belongings into the closet. 

“God, I feel bad for ourselves,” Haerin fakes a sob at the sight of their clothes that had scarcely filled the closet.

Laughing, Yunjae jumps towards the bed.  ‘So fluffy,’

Haerin follows her brother’s example and stretches with a satisfied grunt.  “You know what, Yunjae?” She turns her head towards him and smiles when he looks up at her.  “I’m dating Kyungsoo,”

Yunjae breaks into a grin and leaps over to her bed before shaking her hand as a congratulatory gesture. 

Giggling, Haerin pats the space beside her and Yunjae lies down with her hand in his.  “I know, I don’t believe it either,”

‘I knew it,’ He signs onto her hand.  ‘You wanna tell me about it?’

“He’s, I don’t know, he’s so sincere, Yunjae,” Haerin shakes her head.  “I keep wondering if he really is sincere or if he’s not, only to find out that he actually, really is, and that makes me go all buttery all over again.  He has this really weird ability to make my insides go all topsy-turvy whenever he just looks at me.  I’m in love with him because of his eyes, I guess.  Aside from his voice-“

It’s so smooth,’

“I know,” Haerin squeals.  “I can listen to him sing forever and I wouldn’t even need anything else,”

 

“You’d still need to treat those cuts, I think,”

Haerin sharply sits up and goes deep red when she meets Kyungsoo’s eyes.  He’s standing by the door, smirking, with the first-aid kit in his hand.  Yunjae grins at her and she knows that they had ganged up on her.  “I hate you guys,” She harrumphs, burying herself beneath her covers and catching the sound of a faint high-five.

“Haerin, don’t be a baby and let me treat you,” Kyungsoo tugs at her covers.

“I can treat them myself, Kyungsoo, go away,”

She yelps when the burgundy fabric is wrenched away from her.  Yunjae pushes her to an upright sitting position and she’s faced with a grinning Kyungsoo.  “Why don’t you go first, Yunjae?” Haerin tries to pull Yunjae down to sit on the bed but when he doesn’t budge, she gives up. 

 

“Up,” Kyungsoo points at the ceiling and leans forward to treat the bruises on her neck as she tilts her head upwards.

Yunjae joins Kyungsoo and starts treating his sister’s face.  She winces shortly after he begins.  “Gentle, Yunjae, gentle,”

‘I am gentle, you’re just being a baby,’ He snickers with Kyungsoo and Haerin had to roll her eyes.

“You’re probably his long-lost brother or something,” She scoffs.

“Okay, down,” Kyungsoo nods and as Haerin’s head returns to its normal position, pats it approvingly.  “Good girl,”

Haerin swats his hand away and makes Yunjae sit down before treating his cuts. 

“Stop staring, Kyungsoo, it’s rude,” She mutters, feeling him practically drill holes into the side of her face with his eyes.

“You’re my girlfriend, I’ll stare all I want to,” Kyungsoo talks back with a smile in his voice.

 

With a free hand, Haerin shoves at Kyungsoo’s shoulder and cracks up with Yunjae when he tumbles onto the floor with a loud ‘oomph’.  Three people on a single bed are too much, after all.

She finishes up the coverage for Yunjae’s cuts and pats his cheek gently.  “There, now go to bed,”

He climbs into his own bed and Haerin pulls the covers over him before kissing his forehead.  “Night,” She grins down at him and then settles back under her own covers.

Kyungsoo springs into action and tucks her into bed, smiling down at her like what she did towards Yunjae.

“Idiot,” Haerin lifts her head to press her lips onto his, lingering for a while before pulling away.  “Thanks, Kyungsoo.  Thanks a lot, for everything,”

Kyungsoo blinks, taking a while to realize that Haerin just kissed him and said thank you.  “Uhh, you’re welcome, I guess?” He then breaks into a grin and smooths her hair away from her face.  “If you need anything, anytime of the night, just knock on my door.  I’m right across from you,”

 

After gazing into her eyes for another moment longer, he turns the bedside lamp on and walks away, letting out a small wave at the door.  “Good night, Hae,” He says, before he closes the door with a quiet click.