Chapter 16

Cinderella

“Kyungsoo, I need to tell you something,”

He looks over to the girl lying down beside him on the grass with a smile.  “What is it?”

It was nighttime and they had a great day of going around the amusement park; going on rides, getting some food, going inside haunted houses, shooting door prizes, you know, typical things couples do when they go on a date to the amusement park.  Nara had asked him out and it wasn’t something that happened very often, throughout the months they had known each other.  And no, they weren’t dating, even though they act like a couple.  Every time Kyungsoo is about to confess or finally ask her to be his girlfriend, Nara seems to turn her head the other way completely and the topic gets dismissed.  But Nara never complained when he showed her his affection.  And Kyungsoo’s the one in love; he’s not complaining either.

 

“It’s been, what, 8 months, since we first met?” She looks up into the sky, a thin smile playing at her lips.

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo grins.

“You’re a great guy, you know that?” Nara says.  Her smile dissipates slowly, in contrast to the things she’s saying.  “You care about me and I can tell that whatever it is you had said or what you wanted to, came from your heart.  All the things you did and all the things you gave me weren’t mere door prizes.  They’re presents that mean a lot to you,”

The look she has on her face when she turns to face Kyungsoo takes him aback.  Her eyes were blank.  They aren’t shining like they always are.  “But they mean nothing to me,” Nara her lips and she lazily blinks.

“I’m sorry, what?” Kyungsoo sits abruptly, his heart in complete denial mode. 

“I’m dating someone,” She shrugs, sitting up after him.

 

“Nara, wha-“

“I don’t have feelings for you, Kyungsoo,” Nara spells out blatantly.  “Not when we first met, not even now,”

Kyungsoo reaches out.  “D-did I do something wrong?”

Nara pushes his hand away as she stands up.  “You’ve been stupid, that’s all.  And hey, it’s not my fault that you’re so in love with me and you’re so easy to take advantage of,” She giggles lightly.  “The look on your face is so precious.  You really should have listened to your friends,”

“My.. friends?” Kyungsoo shakes his head, trying to deny everything creeping into his mind when he knows that he can’t.

“How they say that I’m a and that es don’t change? It’s true.  Look at what I’m doing to you,” Nara grins with her hands behind her back.  “I get your hopes up and play out the part of being your first love only to crush them in the worst way possible,”

Kyungsoo can’t break away from the tightness in his heart.  “I-I thought you said you loved-“

“Don’t be naïve.  Those are just empty words.  Nobody ever means anything anymore, these days,” The cat-eyed girl meets his gaze.  Her phone beeps and she checks the screen out with a smile.  “Here, see? My boyfriend is telling me to come over.  So, bye, I guess.  At least I had a great time.  Thanks for that,”

Kyungsoo reads the text and he swallows the bile rising up his throat.  He couldn’t believe how fast and easy it was for her to crush someone.  He is left there speechless, over the pieces of his heart when the girl he loves walks away with his trust and his ability to love another. 

 

To this day he still couldn’t believe what happened that night.  Can a person be that heartless? Did Nara not have the slightest bit of feelings towards him? After all they’ve done together? Can words really be that empty?

 

Since then Kyungsoo developed a habit.  He would need to touch someone to trust in his or her words while looking at their eyes.  When he’s with his friends, he would put a hand on their shoulder or at the back of their neck before making sure that what they’re saying is the real truth.  And he had unconsciously applied that habit towards Haerin.  He would feel the need to hold her hand.  Strangely, that need doesn’t only come when he needs reassurance.  It’s there, most of the time, whenever he’s around her and she’s around him.

 

And back on the roof, he truly didn’t know why he had kissed her.  She was about to tell him; whether or not she meant what she said, but a part of him didn’t want to hear it.  And then he decided to kiss her.  Yet another part of him keeps on telling him that that wasn’t it.  That being afraid of what she wanted to say wasn’t the whole reason.  That he kissed her simply because he wanted to.  Simply because he has feelings for her.

 

“That makes me a total ,” Kyungsoo curses at himself, throwing a ball towards the wall and catching it again as it rebounds.  I should get a grip on my own feelings, he thinks.  And I should go apologize to Haerin.  His hand touches his cheek and he remembers the way she had slapped him the other day.  She must be furious at him.  Of course, who wouldn’t be, when someone kisses you out of the blue in such a condition?

 

“Noona, did you fall somewhere?”

Kyungsoo looks to the distance where Sehun is facing Haerin, who has her head lowered.  Her face is bruised again.  Haerin shakes her head and lifts her chin up to look at Sehun.  “It’s been here since yesterday, Sehun.  Why did you think I was in the infirmary?”

She’s lying.  Again. 

Sehun gives her a once-over and frowns.  “Oh, well, get them treated again, the nurse wasn’t in, yesterday, right? Why didn’t you treat them at- ow! Ow, ow, ow!”

Haerin had reached upwards to pinch his cheek.  She was laughing when she let go.

“What was that for!” Sehun complains, wincing.

“Stop nagging, maknae, now let’s go and get some food,” Haerin links her arm with his, pulling him along.  “I’m hungry,”

 

A pang of jealousy hits Kyungsoo on how she’s so comfortable around Sehun.  He’s reminded by Sehun’s last words in his studio yesterday.

“Don’t regret it when I decide to take her away,”

Does that mean that Sehun has feelings for her, too?

Well, nevertheless, there’s no use in denying it anymore.

Do Kyungsoo surely does.