Chapter 13

Cinderella

“Thinks I’m so easy,” Haerin grumbles, stashing her books into her locker messily.  “Thinks he can get me with all his, his, stupid, big eyes and singing voice and heart-shaped smile,” She messes up her own hair in frustration.

She didn’t think it would bother her that much.  How he seemed to very lightly ask her out, as if it wasn’t a big deal, when it actually is, to her.  Haerin doesn’t understand how things like this actually go.  She can’t help but think that Kyungsoo is definitely taking advantage of her gullible self, remembering the fact that Haerin owes him something.  One minute he’s a sweetheart that makes her heart fly out of and then the other, he turns into an insensitive jerk.  She really, really wants to think that there’s a reason behind his words and actions, but what is it?

 

And then there are also her feelings.  Is she actually falling in love? Or is it just that sort of feeling that pops out in the spur of the moment because she was caught in it? Haerin thinks back to the times she and Kyungsoo have seen each other.  His eyes always made it seem like he understood her very soul, and yet he never says much.  He keeps the understanding to himself because maybe, he thinks that talking about it would make Haerin restless and uneasy.  His gaze alone could rattle her and Haerin could never imagine talking to him about it.  It was a scary thought, but Haerin has been asking herself; does she really not want to do it? Does she want to miss this opportunity to finally have someone to lean on and let it slip away right through her fingers? What if she were to talk to him? About her problems, about her insecurities, about her everything? Maybe not all at once, but slowly, one step at a time.  Wouldn’t that lift the weight away from her shoulders, putting aside the reason he’s asking her out?

 

When Haerin realizes it, she’s at the door that leads to the rooftop.  Without further ado, she pushes it open and stands still, listening, to what she wanted to hear.

And he was there, singing, what she always heard him sing.

Haerin leans onto the now closed door and shuts her eyes, marveling at the smooth melody created by this human being just across from her, drowning in the way he says the words as if he went through what it said. 

And as he always does, he stops, right before the last verse, as if he couldn’t get the words out.  Those words were a simple ‘I love you’, a simple phrase within the song.  A little part of her jumped into conclusions; that he has someone he hasn’t gotten over yet.  But the selfish part of herself simply wanted to complete him, despite whatever reason he has regarding his inability to finish his song, even if she has to be the third-person, as long as he can be happy for the meanwhile, then she will be, too.  Haerin knows the difference between when a song is just a song and when a song tells a story.  Kyungsoo’s singing is also his way of story telling.

 

And that was sort of what made her turn to look his way, since the very beginning.

 

I love you

My heart will never change

I’ll just pretend that the world borrowed you from me

You just have to tell me that you’ll come back to me

 

Haerin finishes the song for him as she sits beside him, letting a smile color her lips when Kyungsoo regards her with a shake of his head and a smile of his own. 

“I still can’t,” He chuckles.

“I know how hard it is to admit you love someone,” Haerin grins, making the older male laugh.

“I do know of my feelings, but I just don’t want to say it, because it’s like breaking my own dam,”

Haerin crosses her legs and turns to face him.  “Then try saying it with me,”

“What?” Kyungsoo frowns at her.

 

She tugs at his knee, urging him to sit cross-legged, too, and face her.  “Come on,”

Although with a disturbed expression, Kyungsoo faces Haerin and finds himself blinking in surprise when she takes both of his hands in hers. 

Haerin simply looks back at him.  “Repeat after me; I..”

After a second’s hesitation, Kyungsoo squeezes Haerin’s hands and repeats after her.  “I,”

Love…”

“Love,”

You,

“You,”

 

Haerin grins at her effortless success, moving on with the song. 

My heart will never change.

And as she goes on, Kyungsoo comes in to harmonize with her, repeating the verse twice to make sure that he’s really, actually, saying those words he had always feared to say.

I’ll just pretend that the world borrowed you from me

You just have to tell me that you’ll come back to me

 

“There,” Haerin sighs contentedly.  “That wasn’t so hard, right?”

Kyungsoo holds her hands tightly, refusing to let go when she tries to pull away.  “Did you mean it?”

“Mean what?”

“What you said,”

“What I said?”

“That you love me,”

Haerin pauses, seeking for the loopholes in his gaze, searching for the answer he truly wants to hear.  Kyungsoo is simply asking her, with sincerity and from the heart, and she could see, that the ghost of his past is not gleaming in his eyes. 

But Haerin knows that it’s not something he can easily forget.  It will come back to him, whatever her answer will be.  It will return to haunt him and to occupy his thoughts, being at odds with her desire to be the only one in his heart.  Despite that; she gives him a truthful answer.

“I guess, I d-“

 

To her utmost surprise, Kyungsoo had leaned in to stop her words with a kiss.

 

HI GUYS

IM BEING A VERY FAST UPDATER ARENT I

I FEEL LIKE IM LOVING U GUYS TOO MUCH

I HAVE TO HOLD BACK

BUT I CANT

BCS ITS EXCITING

and anyways whoop-dee-do things are gonna go somewhere you can't imagine ddiroriiiii~~

 

thank u for da love i love u guys back as much

COMMENTS ARE <3 YES