Chapter 43

Cinderella

School ended early, to some reason the teachers had announced in front of the class that day.  Haerin had a quiz cancelled because of that, and she was at the top of her world.  What could I possibly do on this beautiful day? She thinks to herself as she practically skips out of the school building.  Part-time? Walk around the streets? Shop? Get some food? Visit her grandmother again? Volunteer? Karaoke? Exercise? “Ah, so many choices, so many choices,” She takes a deep breath and lets it out refreshingly before putting her hair up.

 

“Smiling to yourself?”

Haerin whips her head to the left and finds the last person on earth she’d expect to be talking to her.

“Ah, Nara-ssi, hello,” She greets politely.  Well, this is something.  She waits hesitantly for her to start talking, because she surely doesn’t know how to strike up a conversation.

“You can drop the formalities, Haerin, we’re the same age, after all,” She finally smiles warmly.

Haerin wasn’t one for holding grudges.  And she’s already getting over Kyungsoo, anyways, so that smile Nara gave her kind of rebooted their relationship for a newer, better start.  “Okay,” She smiles back.

“You wanna grab some lunch with me?” Nara offers, stepping towards her.

Haerin pretends to contemplate her approach and shrugs.  “Only if you’re paying,”

Playfully rolling her eyes, Nara jerks her head towards the bus coming their way.  “Done,” She laughs.

 

Haerin might be all cool outside about making new friends, but she is totally, utterly, completely bamboozled inside.

Nara’s so nice.  She wasn’t this nice back when it was her first day of school.

And she really is very pretty, now that she’s this close.  Even when she’s eating spicy food (like right now), she doesn’t look sweaty or sticky at all.

And don’t even get her started on her body.  She’s like one of those people who are naturally blessed with everything.

“Haerin?”

“Huh?” Haerin blinks repeatedly and frowns at Nara to realise that she had been talking all along.  “Sorry?”

“You weren’t listening, were you?”

“No, I wasn’t, I’m sorry,” Haerin flashes her a sheepish grin.  “You were saying?”

“That I’m really sorry,”

Haerin pauses before she properly registers what Nara had just said.  “Wait, you’re apologising to me?”

Nara nods.

“Why?”

“Because, umm, because I messed up your relationship, I guess?”

Haerin chokes at her drink and coughs loudly to cover up her surprise.

“Hey, you okay?” Nara tentatively reaches out to her.

“Fine!” Haerin puts a palm out.  “Fine, I am fine,” She looks up, bewildered.  “I’m just- why are you apologising? I never said it was your fault,”

Now, it’s Nara’s turn to look at Haerin with a baffled expression.  “Wait, what, seriously?”

Haerin nods her head.  “I mean, you were just there.  And Kyungsoo was there.  And then you guys met.  And then, you know, things happened, feelings show, and voila.  I don’t really think it’s anybody’s fault,”

“But you guys broke up because of me,”

“Yeah, that part is true, but nobody has control over their feelings.  It just happens,” Haerin shrugs.  “And I guess we’re just not meant to be, even if I thought we were,” She chuckles at her own naivety.  “Did you ask me out for lunch because of this?”

“I guess, yeah,” Nara glares at her plate of food.  “I don’t get you; you’re not angry at me?”

Haerin ponders over the question and carefully chooses her words.  “At first, I was wondering why you were such a life-ruiner,” She bluntly says, laughing.  “Because I couldn’t find anybody to blame for my break up and you were there, being an in front of my face when I took you around school, so you naturally become my target of anger,”

Nara grimaces.  “Sorry about that, too,”

“It’s fine, I’m over it,” Haerin chuckles.  “But then again, as I said; it just happens and we weren’t meant to be, so, I don’t blame you nor do I blame Kyungsoo.  Let the past be the past,”

 

Nara lets the words sink in and she finds herself shaking her head in awe.  “It’s no wonder that Kyungsoo fell in love with you,”

“Yeah?” Haerin quietly laughs.  “Why’s that?”

“You’re just so open towards people,” Nara explains.  “So receiving that people don’t even have to try to get on your good side.  He must have found a sanctuary in you, who can accept him for all he is,”

“Maybe he did, huh?” Haerin lets out a nostalgic smile.

“What about him, though?” Nara asks.  “Was he a good boyfriend?”

“He…was,” Haerin hesitantly answers and laughs afterwards.  “He was, he was.  A bit touchy at times, but he was.  It’s either he’s good because he’s my first boyfriend or he just seems good because I’ve never experienced dating before,”

Nara cracks up.  “You’ve got a point,”

“But he’s nice,” Haerin corrects herself.

“Yeah,” Nara smiles.  “Yeah, he is, isn’t he?” She stares down at her reflection in her glass of water.

Haerin eyes her expression and along with a rising sense of suspicion in her head, the corners of her lips go up in a smile.  “Well, well,” She grins when Nara looks up to  meet her eyes.  “Isn’t someone in love?”

Nara’s cheeks turn into an obvious tint of deep red as she blushes.  “What? Who? Me?”

Haerin smiles playfully at her in confirmation.

Scoffing, Nara retorts.  “With who?”

“Who else?”

Nara pauses before she finally understands.  “What?! Kyungsoo?! No, it’s-“

 

At that moment, Haerin’s phone starts ringing and she swiftly picks it up while she snickers at her new, blushing friend.  “Hello?”

‘Haerin, where are you?’

“Jongin?” She pulls the phone away from her ear and confirms the caller ID.  “I’m at this restaurant a few blocks away from school, the one that sells ramen.  Why?”

‘I need your help.’ He answers.

Haerin starts to frown at the urgency in Kai’s voice.  He was panting; he must have been running or he must be running right now as he is calling her.  “What is it? What’s the matter?”

The bell by the restaurant’s door jingles and the employees welcome the entry of a new customer.  Haerin turns her head to see a heaving Kai, school uniform wrinkled, hair messed up and everything, looking around the place before finally landing his eyes on her.

He was panicking.

Haerin leaps out of her seat and meets him mid-stride.  “What’s wrong?”

He grabs her by the shoulders and squeezes.  “My father is holding a colleague party and I need you to come with me,”

As much as his grip hurts, Haerin realizes, that he was trying to stop his own trembling.

 

yes double update

and cliffie

yes ily guys

u kno me 

;)