Chapter 14

Cinderella

The girl who is having her first kiss stays completely frozen.  Kyungsoo is kissing her.  Kisses are supposed to be important and special, aren’t they? They’re supposed to be shared between two people who share the same mutual affection for each other.  If Kyungsoo is kissing her, does that mean that he is indeed in love with her? Is this a way for him to confess? Or is he simply stopping her from confessing? Her eyebrows dig deeper into her forehead.  Haerin is confused.  She’s lost.  What is this? Why did he kiss her when she finally had the guts to tell him how she feels? All those thoughts in the mere blink of an eye.  Haerin jerks back and frowns in bewilderment.

“W-why did you do that?” She blurts out.

 

She starts thinking straight; not distracted by how her bottom lip was caught in between Kyungsoo’s lips.  He just kissed her.  He took away her first kiss.  Without her consent, without her permission.  And as much as Haerin isn’t a mushy, dramatic, hormonal teenager, it still pissed her off.  What gives him the right to kiss her? And he knows, that she’s confused over her own feelings for him.  And she knows damn sure that he’s not sharing the same feelings as she is. 

Haerin pushes the man facing her to answer.  “Kyungsoo, why did you kiss me?”

 

Kyungsoo blinks, once, twice, and then he pales.  “I-I’m sorry, I didn’t-“ He looks completely shaken when Haerin pulls her hands away from his.  “Haerin, I-“

Why,” Haerin balls her hands into fists and shuts her eyes.  “Did you kiss me?

“It’s not- I- I don’t kno-“

“You don’t know?!” She starts to lose her grip and meets Kyungsoo’s eyes with a glare.  Haerin stands up and runs a hand through her hair while she walks away from Kyungsoo, gritting her teeth.

Kyungsoo stands up as well, striding towards her and taking her hand.  “I-I can explain,”

Haerin rips her hand away from his touch.  “Then explain,

Kyungsoo’s lips part, as if wanting to say something, but he says nothing instead.  His eyes search for what he had wanted to explain so badly, but he can’t find it.  He can’t give her an explanation.  He kept mum.

Explain!!” Haerin shouts at his face, hurt, at how the boy she came to seemingly love is rendered speechless.  She narrows her eyes at him and still, she hears nothing. 

Out of pure instinct, Haerin raises her hand and slaps him, making his head snap to the side on impact. 

Kyungsoo keeps his head turned, refusing to see how much pain this girl is in, refusing to see how much pain he had caused her. 

“What the hell?” Her voice comes out as a choked whisper and she turns to distance herself as far away as possible from the maze that is Kyungsoo’s heart.  Before she could leave the rooftop, though, she turns and shouts over the space between them.  “The next time you decide to fool around with a girl’s feelings, make sure you get your mind straight first, because when you’re already messed up, it just makes everything so ing worse, for her and for yourself,”

 

Taking two stairs at a time, Haerin practically leaps her way downstairs and towards her locker.  She bit her tongue and held back her anger as she grabs her books and gets to her class right when the bell for the last period rings.  But not even halfway through her class, Haerin raises her hand and asks the teacher for permission to go to the infirmary because she has a ‘headache’.

 

All this thinking is really giving her one.  The nurse isn’t in and all Haerin does is enter one of the beds amongst the curtains and lies down, covering herself from head to toe with the thin blanket.  She’s so angry but she doesn’t know how to let it out.  Screaming out into the air doesn’t really help that much and singing will help her feel better much too quickly.  Haerin doesn’t want to let it slide that easily.  She wants to be angry, and she’s letting her own feelings crush her.  She’s dismissing all possible means to ease her pain and anger, except for one; through understanding Kyungsoo.  To understand him like how he understands her when he looks at her.  To know all the answer to her why’s.  How did she come to feel so deeply for him, anyways? Is it supposed to work this way? Is it true that love just happens?

 

“I can’t believe this,” Haerin sits up abruptly and yelps in surprise when she spots someone sitting at the edge of her infirmary bed.  She rummages her brain for an identity and finds one when she takes a good look at his face.  “Sehun?”

“Haerin-sunbae,” He flashes her an eye smile.  “I knew it was you,” His fingers point at his ear.  “Heard you muttering quite a lot of things and thought that you sounded familiar,”

Haerin’s eyebrows shoot up in surprise.  “I was muttering out loud?” He nods, and she panics.  “Wh-what did I say?”

“Just a bunch of incoherent words, don’t worry, nothing substantial,” Sehun chuckles at his panicked senior.  “Why? Were you thinking about something I shouldn’t know of?”

Haerin taps her chin in thought.  “How long have you been friends with Kyungsoo, Sehun?”

“Three, four years, why?”

When Haerin hesitates to answer him, Sehun adds in another sentence.  “So you were thinking about him,”

Blushing beet red, Haerin shoots him a look and buries herself back in the blankets.  “Stupid maknae,”

“Hey!” He protests.

Haerin finds herself chuckling quietly.  She peeks through the blanket and calls him before he could leave through the curtains.  “You can call me noona, Sehun, and yes, I was thinking about Kyungsoo,”

Sehun stops to smile at her.  “And..? Why did you ask me that question?”

“Because I figured you’d know a thing or two, about him,”

“But..?”

“But the questions I want to ask you should be answered by him and him only, because I’d rather find out about him from himself or find out about nothing at all,”

“And yet you’re in a position where you can’t just talk to him, can’t you?” Sehun asks and his question is answered with a little nod of Haerin’s head.  “Did you guys fight?”

“Sorta,”

“Well,” The younger male shrugs, pursing his lips.  “If it’s your fault, I doubt that you’d be moping around in the infirmary because of it.  So it’s hyung’s fault.  And if it actually is, Kyungsoo hyung will come to you, to explain or to apologize or whatever.  Don’t worry, you just have to wait,”

“It’s his fault, all right,” Haerin seethes and Sehun crosses his arms in amusement.

“I wonder what he did wrong?” He asks.

 

She eyes him playfully and takes out a finger, shaking it teasingly.  “It’s a business between seniors, out, maknae,”