Chapter 18

Cinderella

Haerin sees her brother waiting for her by the bus stop near her uncle’s house on her way home.  “Yunjae?” She calls out and walks over to him.  “What are you doing outside?”

‘Manager called,’ Yunjae gestures towards his phone.  ‘He said he needs me there.  Let’s go,’

“He needs you, right?” Haerin frowns. 

‘Yeah,’

“Then go on your own, I wanna go home,” She steps away from the bus but Yunjae simply tugs at her arm and pulls her in with him.

‘You’re coming with me,’ He sighs.  ‘Why can’t you cut yourself some slack, noona.  Stop studying.  You’re such a nerd,’

Pressing a hand to her chest, Haerin gapes at her little brother.  “You did not just call me a nerd!”

‘Nerd,’

 

As the siblings get to the restaurant, the manager, as usual, ushers the two of them into their changing room.  An outfit has been picked out for Haerin, while Yunjae gets his usual shirt and tie. 

“Yunjae, you’re the only one who’s supposed to be performing, right?” Haerin frowns when he zips her up, turning to face him.  “Why am I all dressed up?”

‘You’re having dinner, that’s why.’ Yunjae pushes her out the door and into the dining hall, completely speechless and incapable of doing anything.

“Yunjae,” Haerin chuckles nervously through the now locked door.  “Yunjae, seriously, this is not funny,”

The younger man pops up in the window of the changing room door and gestures with a straight face.  ‘No, it’s not.  Grab a seat,’

“What is this?” Haerin whines quietly, looking around the place.  It feels extremely strange to be amongst the tables instead of on stage.  Everybody’s presence feels so intimidating here and the luxury is suffocating.  “Having dinner? I can’t even buy a glass of juice, how am I supposed to be having dinner?”

 

“Ms. Son Haerin?”

Haerin looks up at the sound of her name and notice a pair of waiters smiling down at her.  “Um, yeah, that’s me..?”

“This way, please,” They gesture towards an empty table right in front of the stage.  “Your dinner expenses have been covered, ma’am,” One of them says as he pulls out the chair for her.

“The dress, too, it’s for you,” The other smoothly sets a napkin upon her lap, handing her the menu.  “You can lift your hand when you’re ready to order,”

“Wait, what, this dress?” Haerin looks down at what she’s wearing (http://theplungeproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/white_rehearsal_dinner_dress_2.png) and then back at the two men.

They nod.  “The shoes, too,” They add, and with a final grin, turn away to serve other tables.

“Wait, wh- hey..” Haerin squeaks and buries her face in the menu.  What the heck is going on? She just got swept away into this place as a guest, not as a performer.  Is this Yunjae’s doing? It’s not her birthday soon; on what basis is he doing all this?

 

Haerin settles with some water and chicken salad for the dinner she didn’t ask for.  With her fork, she daintily picks at the vegetables after the first bite.  “Oh, God this is so good, I’m bringing this home to eat with Yunjae,” Her hand goes up to the air to call over the two waiters that had served her.  “Ex-“

 

“Good evening, everybody,”

Haerin pauses immediately at the greetings coming through the hall’s speakers.  That voice.  No way.  No way in hell.  She slowly, very, very slowly turns her head towards the stage and feels her soul leave her body.  Literally. 

There, in the middle of the stage under the limelight, is Kyungsoo, clad in a suit with his hair pushed up and away from his forehead.  Damn it, as much as she wants to be angry at him, he still looks so freaking gorgeous.

 

“I’m here as a replacement for the singer, a.k.a the lady in white with her hand raised, over there,” He points right at her and the crowd chuckles when Haerin drops her hand in surprise.  “She’s, well, I want her to be my girlfriend, but-“ Kyungsoo laughs when the guests murmur teasing sentences at Haerin, who does nothing but smile at them, mortified.  “But I’m doing things the wrong way around.  The other day, I did something no girl can forgive – no, guys, I did not get her pregnant – and I-“ Again, more laughter.  “Okay, okay, and this is sort of something I want to do to apologize and explain myself to her,” His own laughter dies down and Kyungsoo looks at Haerin over the mic stand, eyes shining and sincere.  “For Son Haerin, this is Love, That One Word, by Kim Taeyeon,”

 

Love has come without you knowing
Without any reason, you’re in my heart
All alone, I repeat these words as I cry
Do you know?

The one word that you draw inside of me
The one word that is always hidden inside of me
I’m looking at you, I’m always by your side
But I can’t say the words I love you

 

At the sincerity of his words, Haerin finds herself lost inside of the melody he’s singing.  He’s doing it; he’s trying to make her understand and he’s answering her whys.  And he means every single word he sings.  Kyungsoo is apologizing with his eyes and whenever they close during the song, his whole body apologizes in stead of his gaze.  When she snaps back to reality, Kyungsoo has come off of the stage and is now singing in front of her, with his hand hovering in the space between them. 

 

Words that my heart says
I love you more than myself
I want to love you

 

When he stops after the bridge, Haerin takes his hand to stand with him, and in that moment, nothing mattered except for the fact that they’re singing the same words and that they’re sharing a connection; through their eyes and through their hands. 

 

The one word that you draw inside of me
The one word that is always hidden inside of me
I’m looking at you, I’m always by your side
But I can’t say the words I love you

 

When the song ends, everybody in the dining hall stands up for an ovation, crying out “date! date!” and “kiss! kiss!” all at the same time. 

“Kiss?” Kyungsoo speaks into the mic with a raised eyebrow.  “That’s for somewhere private,” He chuckles.  “But date? Haerin? What do you say?”

 

Haerin takes the mic from his hands and breaks away from him.  “Date? You and me?” She turns her head to look at the guests, pausing before letting out a shrug.  “I’m going to have to think about it,”

 

do you think i'm updating too much

because i can totally stop

KKAEBSONG WHO AM I KIDDING

i can't hold back

from updating

I CAN'T, OKAY.