Mistake

Sports Unlimited

Daehyun’s POV

Youngjae has been chasing me for almost a week now. That guy is definitely so persistent. He even showed up on weekends knowing from the coaches that we had practices during weekends too.

“Hey Daehyun … where’s the kiddo?” One of my teammate in soccer asked. Because of Youngjae’s consistent visit in all my practices, everyone already knows him even our basketball coach and soccer team coach.

“He’ll be here in a minute” I answered “… Although I hope he won’t show up this time.” I added, because really… he becomes so annoying lately that he’s really starting to disturbed our practices. 

“Ohhh~ we know you don’t really mean that.” Another teammate of mine retorted in a teasing tone. “But are you sure he’ll show up?… Because according to my basketball player friends, you’re too mean to him yesterday.” He added.

“Of course I mean it ..” I argued “I’m not sure if he really shows up though, it’s just that as far as I knew him, he’s too persistent that no matter what I do to him, he’s still gonna stick till I give him my yes.” I answered.

“But you’re too hasher yesterday.” He replied.

“Well--” I was about to say something when a too familiar shout to me, to us, interrupted me.

“Hi guys! Hi coach! Hi Daehyun!’ Youngjae greeted.

“Speaking of.” I mumbled.

“Hmmm?” he asked.

“Nothing … what are you doing here?” I asked, showing an annoyed tone in my voice.

“What are you talking about? Did you hit your head or something? Of course I’m here for the interview … so?” Youngjae answered, and then inquired.

“No… It will always be a No Jae… so please go home already… you’re just wasting your time here.” I answered.

“Wasting time? Being here is not wasting time Daehyun, this part of my task … to persuade you … to make you say yes.” Jae retorted.

“Whatever.” I replied before leaving him to continue my practice.

 

 Minutes have passed when I left him, I noticed that Youngjae is still standing at the place where I left him, so I decided to get back to him to tell him something.

“If you’re not planning to leave, can you at least find a seat to sit down?” I told him, he just nodded then walked away.

 

After our coach officially declared the end of our practice today, I went back directly to my bag which is happened to be besides Youngjae.

“I was looking for a seat when one of your teammate told me that this is your bag, and since it has a vacant chair beside it, I decided to sit on it.” He explained not waiting for me to talk. “Here! Your towel and your water.” He added, extending me his hands with the towel and water so that I can reach them.

“Thanks.” I muttered before I took them from him. I can’t help but think though, that this situation is actually cute, about him giving me my water and towel, it’s just that only if his reason is different. You know, if he’s actually not here because of his task but something else. But if you ask me what would that reason be, me neither doesn’t know.

 

Youngjae was informing me something about him but I didn’t able to sink it in my mind because I’m still at my trail of thoughts. It really bothers me, I admit I like seeing Youngjae around, but his presence annoys me as well. I don’t know what to choose anymore. There’s something in my mind telling me If he’s only here for that reason, I would really be happy. But what reason would it be.

“Did you hear me Dae?” Jae asked, finally cutting me out from my trail of thoughts.

“What?... Ohhh! Yes! Yes! I heard you… Yeah .. Yeah… I did.” I replied, even though I didn’t hear what he say.

“OK… anyway… Did you change your mind already?” Jae asked, anticipation can be seen in his face.

“You wish!” I answered. “Unless you use some magic spell on to make me change my mind … my answer will always be the same” I added.

I was caught off guard when Youngjae suddenly jump off his seat and suddenly wave his hands in different direction saying. “Ohhh~ elements of the nature lend me your power, make this guy Daehyun, agree to have an interview with me.”

“Are you crazy???” I managed to say while laughing my out. This guy definitely has no limit. I unconsciously grab his right hand by my left one and pulled him closer, which brought us impossibly close and make him stay there by wrapping my right arm around his waist.

“Wh--” Jae was shocked, and I know I had the same expression plastered on my face, cause me neither didn’t knew why where at this situation right now. We started a staring session.

“Ahemm… What’s with the romance in the after practice?” One of teammate teased interrupting our staring session.

We both suddenly came back to our senses and pulled ourselves away from each other.

“Sorry” I muttered.

“Hmm..” Jae mumbled while nodding.

“But seriously Jae … I told you about the magic spell because I was hoping you would get the idea that what I meant is that, it’s really impossible to gain my yes, since magic spells don’t exist.” I explained.

“I’m still not giving up … I’m positive that sooner or later you’ll eventually say yes.” Youngjae assured.

“Are you that thick?? Can’t you see Razzle-Dazzle doesn’t want you to join their club, by giving me as your task?” I said, I really want him to stop now. I don’t like what’s happening to me when he’s around.

“That’s not true!” he argued “They just trusted me enough … that’s why I am the lucky one who’s given a task like this.” He explained.

“Believe in whatever you wanted to believe … but don’t you think fate is already telling you something? … Fate decided to do it himself and showed you that if this is not really was meant for you at least this is not the right time to follow your dreams.” I argued back.

“Wh--”

“Please … give up already” I said, cutting what Jae was about to say, and then decided to leave him there.

“How can you say that?” I heard he mumbled, but I acted like I didn’t hear anything by continue walking away. “You’re just like me right? You also had a dream; you had something you like that you’ve been dreaming to conquer. How can you just easily say to someone, who is just like you, to give up with his dream?” he added. I heard some footsteps getting far behind me, and when I decided to turn back, Jae was gone already.

Damn… I felt like I made a very huge mistake… Argghhh…